Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game is a fantastic game, but as a Metroid game...uhh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Space Pirates are also big on genetic modification so

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm with Tea tbh, the atmosphere here works a lot better than Super Metroid. Mostly thanks to our new friend.

That said, yeah the linearity gets to the point of obnoxiousness. Especially since there's a bug at the end which can stop you from exploring the rest of levels.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

I know about the one gimmick route which the game does not expect you to do and even congratulates you on finding it with some very meta-commentary, but first I've heard about that. Also, this game is great, but sadly for all us fools outside of Japan, hard mode was not included.

I guess there's really no reason I can't spell it out. When you get towards the end of the game, if you access any of the Nav/Data rooms that come up at the beginning of the sectors, it will lock you out of all the remaining sectors and funnel you into the endgame sequence. There is no indication or reason for this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For the record it's absolutely possible to beat the game in 5 hours start-to-finish. My gameplay file shows 3:24 and I was playing it blind.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It was called Gedo in the JP version iirc.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The problem is that you can't do it while standing still which makes it an absolute bitch for narrow vertical pathway. You need to move slightly forward, then jump backwards to get in there. I honestly see no reason not to combine the space jump and wall jump. In open spaces yeah it's great.

Come to think of it, Prime basically did that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Didn't Prime just turn it into a regular double jump?

...I may be thinking of the screw attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Some Goon posted:

I can't get over your solution to "the boss shut off missiles" being tanking the hits and using them as a melee weapon. I didn't even know you could do that. But I can't deny it worked.

You can actually burn him down very quickly in phase 1; when he spawns, wait for their to be a gap between his arm and the floor, roll under him in morphball, uncurl, point up at the gravity dongle and spam that mf missile button when he stops blinking. You can burn him down before he has a chance to do the gravity thing.