Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Some Goon posted:

"You probably hit it from the bottom."

I didn't even know that a missile could hit it from the bottom until it jumped on one of the ones Nat randomly fired.

EDIT: Also LP AM2R. I could come up with some BS reason like "it'd be interesting to see a perspective on it from someone who hasn't played the original Metroid 2" or "you could analyze how a fan tackles the same design challenges Nintendo did" or something, but really I just enjoy seeing Nat get lost and get his rear end kicked.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The Space Jump is the way it is because it's meant to be an exploration power up, not a combat power up. It gives you the ability to fly infinitely, but it's awkward enough that when it comes to fighting enemies, you still need to rely on basic platforming ability instead of flying over stuff like it's a Kirby game. This isn't accidental at all: by the time Fusion came out, this was the third game with the Space Jump, and if they wanted to change it, they would have.

Additionally, Metroid is already very overloaded with its control scheme: a context sensitive shot button, movement and aiming being on the same controls, two types of jump optimized for both horizontal platforming and vertical traversal. It's actually much more straightforward in terms of usability to add in a powerup that says "jump infinitely" than one that says "we're going to change how a major button works after you've spent most of the game getting used to it".

It's absolutely fine to not like using it, but the Space Jump is serving some very specific roles in the way it works, and I'm not sure other options would have played as well in the larger context.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
A couple of things for you all to make fun of twelve year old me for:

1) I actually failed at the restricted area escape sequence my first attempt. Naturally, I hadn't saved after the robot fight.

2) I was a little surprised that Nintendo allowed the word "sex" in one of their games.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
To answer Tea's last question, it's absolutely the bickering.