Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fusion chat! It's a lousy Metroid game on account of the aggressive linearity (which it now occurs to me was probably an adaptation to the pick-up-and-play style of a handheld, so you wouldn't forget what you were doing between sessions) but it's still a good game otherwise and young me 100%'d it. Tea is incredibly wrong for saying it has better atmosphere than Super though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zero mission is as guilty of linearity as this one. And linearity might not be the exact right word, but the GBA metroids tell you explicitly where to go, whereas all the previous games, even if there is only one place you can go without sequence breaking, leave it up to you to find. The exploration aspect that defines original and super, (and 2 but iirc that one's a pretty straight path) is gone.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Iirc (admittedly, it's been a while) Fusion is even more of a 'bomb everything' game than Super. The map icons make it easy to see if there's a hidden item or where a hidden room might be, but the game is also just so densely packed.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Quackles posted:

I don't think they always do in Super? Because Super had the X-Ray Visor.

But here there's no such thing.

Iirc they'll show you if it's a missile or speed booster or whatever block, those just don't come up a whole lot on the whole.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

As much as I love Hollow Knight, unless it's your kind of game, it's very much not your kind of game and I'd hate to see someone who isn't enjoying it try and suffer through it.

Also, what all Metroidvanias have you been through so far? I'm pretty sure I watched them all but my memory kinda sucks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Bruceski posted:

By that argument no game is designed around sequence breaking.

Plenty of games allow you to do things in an order unintended by the devs. Oversight is one thing, deliberate choices that create an optional path are another altogether

Which is to say yes, sequence breaking by definition is not by design. Hence the breaking of the sequence.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

"You probably hit it from the bottom."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

In fairness, the thing he thought was a glowing spot isn't even noticable on a GBA screen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

C-Euro posted:

gently caress it man, the world is crazy right now and you have nothing to apologize for. Besides I've already made a dozen posts about diagonal aiming so I have nothing else to contribute :v:

Explopyro posted:

This game is pretty short, you can probably do it!

But also the clear answer is for you two to move in together and start LPing full time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Putting it on missiles here slows things down similarly since they're a very nifty weapon and now everything will take one more shot than it used to, though I agree with the general sentiment.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

For the record, if you just sit and wait, without using the power bomb, the SA-X will leave. Once it's encounter theme goes away, it is safe to power bomb and leave.

...what?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

So is "friggin' frig" a British phrase or just a Nat20ism?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

This boss was the name of my existence as a kid. On the replay this lp inspired I beat it first try, but I was still down to my last e-tank. I swear morph balling in a corner doesn't work as.well as Tea says it does. Also, fast forward deaths 100% don't count.

I see I missed the new megaman lps, but Nat20 plays the classic Mega Man series when? It would be very interesting to see you play through games that click with you more than Metroidvanias do and commentary on such.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I was wondering how Nat would get through the shutter hallway without the R button.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

On the replay one of those flowers took me down to my last e-tank.

Also, I had never noticed that the boss was a chozo statue until seeing it here. There's a lot of detail in this game that gets missed on smaller screens, even on a n3dsxl.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

^^^^that's great.

Nightmare was also the bane of my existence as a kid. Even on the replay I died to it, it hits so hard there's not a lot of room to mess up and lots of opportunities to do so.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I can't get over your solution to "the boss shut off missiles" being tanking the hits and using them as a melee weapon. I didn't even know you could do that. But I can't deny it worked.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Metroid Fusion is "Missiles: The Game' but still yeah, never don't be charging. Plasma beam basically makes missiles obsolete with the damage buff.

Still, Nightmare is easily the hardest part of the game, and even while being good at space jump (which Nat is, as long as he's not talking about it) it's still hard to dodge. After that I can't really criticize; it might not be how I'd ever even think to play, but he's getting through just fine.

I was a little worried he wouldn't pick up on "always be power bombing" but maybe I wasn't giving him enough credit. I think Nat's biggest problem with these games is he knows things going in that you're not supposed to and it inappropriately colours his expectations of what to do. As I think I said in the SM lp, Tea has the patience of a saint. I'm a little mad he didn't let Nat get got by the pre-Nightmare trap, though it was probably for the best re: Nat's cartioid integrity.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Missiles have higher dps vs charged beams and are totally the right call for Nightmare phase 3, but there are a lot of enemies that can be taken out by a single charged plasma like them merpirates. For anything vulnerable to uncharged beams plasma takes the lead since you always need at least two missiles.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

One, they died before they had a chance to do anything. Two the metroids a super locked up, and three metroids are super dangerous. They had Samus hunt them to extinction just in case. But mostly one I think, I don't think anyone on the station had a chance to react to the infestation in time to do anything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nobody knew the X could do all that before the events of this game either, y'all are learning about the X as you go.

Either way, by the time you're in a X or metroid scenario you're hosed. Cursing whoever discovered SR388 and dying is about your only course of action.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Now you have a Samus infestation, so you activate the self-destruct sequence...

I can't think of anything that works less for a Samus infestation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Tea doing PIP sign language...

Congrats on finishing Nat. I don't have any input on a next Metroidvania as I wouldn't call any other ones besides Hollow Knight a must-play and Tea's spot on that it's more of a dark room and headphones kinda game than a co-op buddy adventure. I wouldn't mind a stopgap MM3 playthrough though, it's the one I had as a kid and I'd be interested in your highly analytical take.