Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I'm with Tea tbh, the atmosphere here works a lot better than Super Metroid. Mostly thanks to our new friend.

That said, yeah the linearity gets to the point of obnoxiousness. Especially since there's a bug at the end which can stop you from exploring the rest of levels.

I know about the one gimmick route which the game does not expect you to do and even congratulates you on finding it with some very meta-commentary, but first I've heard about that. Also, this game is great, but sadly for all us fools outside of Japan, hard mode was not included.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Alien Arcana posted:

I just noticed that the Fusion suit pulses. The blue stuff is living tissue. I'd always thought it was just some kind of synthetic rubber or something that was patching the gaps in the suit.

I don't know why that surprises me, or why I didn't notice it before.

Isn't the Power Suit itself techno-organic? I think they said something like that in those Nintendo Power comics, and the wiki says it connects itself to her biologically.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are you sure it isn't just Samus breathing? She had a similar idle animation in Super with bits of the suit moving slightly.

Now that I'm paying attention to it for the first time, the blue sections around her torso seem to be pulsing with a greater capacity than if she was just breathing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
In Tea's defense, he just said to go after it, he didn't lie and say there were any incentives in actually picking a fight with the thing. When everything in the game says to avoid fighting it at all costs and these two have a tongue in cheek thing going on, I think there can be some forgiveness afforded there.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only time I've heard peak being used as bad when it comes to slang is bigoted fucknuts insulting trans people, saying kids are becoming "peak trans," or insulting someone's mannerisms, saying they're "peak trans." And when it comes to cool music being behind the times, I once heard Pink on the oldies station from the radio. Specifically that whole, "I'm coming out, and it's time to get this party started!" Yeah, not my first choice for oldies songs.

re: the difficulty, some of the upcoming bosses don't gently caress around.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Wait, didn't that come out in 2001? I got angry enough when REM started playing on my local one. I need to find a new station for Motown and Folk Rock and stuff like that, but these days that means internet connection and I can't be arsed to figure out how to set that up in my car and whether it's useful in the places I drive or would rack up a bunch of data charges. There's a great local station that's been going since back when that stuff was current Pop but their signal range is in the single digit of miles, drops out if a medium-sized building gets in the way, and some other broadcast station is trying to take the channel and the commercials are interspersed with "please write the FCC and tell them you actually listen to us" so who knows if they'll be able to stay.

Basically I thought Oldies was a fixed genre instead of a moving one like Pop and waited too long to cultivate a collection of the genres I enjoy before it shifted.

It probably was just a fluke to be fair. This was a local station in the boondocks of Trump Country I was hearing it on, so all the rules of normal are firmly out the window. On the other hand, I did randomly Google "pink oldies," just now and a whole bunch of her albums are listed on oldies.com, so maybe it's not all that unusual.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
When it comes to playing GBA games on a system with light, always go with the DS. Even the coloration is improved.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Word. First time I heard about this too.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Have to say, I was surprised to hear Tea chip in. Thought this was a Nat only thing at first, what with real life getting in the way of you two streaming together. And I seriously thought the fast forward thing was you skipping ahead for convenience's sake, and "death by fast forward," was just some weird kind of excuse to get out admitting you died the first time until reading the comments here and remembered there is an actual fast forward option on emulators as a whole. Makes me wonder if you're using a controller too, or just using the keyboard. The last time I tried playing Super Mario World on an emulator with just the keyboard, it was a thoroughly miserable experience and I wonder how anyone can play platformers keyboard only without going batshit.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I used to think Nettori was legit the hardest boss in the game because of how quick things can go wrong if you fall off a platform until I learned today that you hold the jumping button as opposed to mashing it if you get stuck in the flower pods. Now all I can see is this game's version of the glass tank Mother Brain fights. And yeah, Metroid Wiki says it does indeed resemble one of the Torizo's. To the point that it's name in the original Japanese was simply Chozo statue.

I can't remember if the space jump is more or less required for some of the upcoming bosses. What fun this will be to watch. :unsmigghh:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This was probably already answered somewhere before in the thread, or it's one of those things that was implied and I missed, but is this VLP done already and all the footage simply has yet to be aired? Since you mentioned real life getting in the way, I'm curious if the gameplay pointers in the comments are still helping you as you go along. Especially now that we're seeing up against what most people consider to be the hardest boss in the game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Quackles posted:

It wasn't originally, but then the UK instituted a lockdown. Now it is all prerecorded, by necessity.

Yeah I heard the news before and figured it was, just wasn't sure if there was some unmentioned technicality or detail I missed that implied it wasn't pre-recorded and this was still live.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

This is truly a thing of beauty.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Has anyone ever actually managed to get back up through that narrow pathway in the BOX fight room and talk to Adam without going to the restricted area? I'm guessing no, since not even Power Bombs can break the regenerating blocks, but on the other hand, the alternate route mentioned back to the navigation room after Nightmare is all kinds of crazy, so I'm open minded enough to think that someone somewhere has done some weird nonsense, and that's not even getting into the glitched alternate routes you can take that will gently caress the game's progression royally.

Also, the reason Goku Black goes by Super Saiyan Rose, is as was discussed in your Castlevania VLP, all the gods of destruction and their angel attendants are named after different forms of booze, and naming his Super Saiyan form after Rose liquor was his way to count himself as one of them.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Explopyro posted:

I remember thinking the linear nature of this game would be a problem before playing it, but ended up not caring because both the narrative and gameplay design ended up being a lot tighter for it, and it allows moments like this to happen and feel more natural. It's really difficult to get a wham moment like this in a more traditionally open-ended Metroid game. It's great.

That said, I do think it's a bit of a missed opportunity we never actually get to see more than one of them at once.

Ditto on the latter part. It would be cool for them to start arriving as reinforcements in the actual fight once the first one starts getting low on health, and fusing into each other like X do when they start dying, and then the monster transformation comes from that unexpected SA-X amalgam, instead of it just transforming because it's a boss fight and that's what bosses do. I mean the real upcoming showdown is so obnoxiously piss easy that some attempt to shake things up with the updated plot twists would work wonders.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The true question is less, "Would the X eventually gain feelings if they fed on all the life forms in the galaxy?" and more, "What would happen if the X came into contact with Phazon?"

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So it's been said throughout the thread that Samus is more or less a one woman killing machine and if you hack her to be fully powered from the beginning of the game, it's hard to disbelieve that claim. It's not like that statement is any less true in Super either. She's probably one of the few people who could give Guts a run for his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

Guts is an unfortunate protagonist victim in the Berserk book/manga/anime series. Very brutal, gory, bad and dark story, and Guts tends to get stabbed, eaten, burned, thrown, impaled, arm chopped off, eye gouged out, 1000x punched in a single second, etc. and he keeps going like a medieval Doomguy almost but with a bigass sword that he swings around one hand.

Guts is one of the few anime characters that can unironically be called a BAMF.