Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, same here. Fusion is the only Metroid game I managed to finish because it maintains a sense of escalation - all the enemies and environments of Super or Zero Mission feel utterly interchangeable to me and I found it extremely easy to get bored of them - "Oh look, giant bug type #23".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't go that far - stuff like Hollow Knight lets you roam pretty freely and every new location you discover is a wonder. But you need some good setpieces and classic Metroid just doesn't have them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

*I don't know if it's an official designation but come on
The Baby!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, is there any logic behind the name of the boss? Does it mean "web" or something similar?
Kinda hard to connect spiders and organized crime.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Come to think of it, Prime basically did that.
Didn't Prime just turn it into a regular double jump?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I like the stakes progression from "here's where I think Serris is, it's a valuable specimen but you can kill it if necessary" to "Nightmare is going to destroy this entire station and I don't know where it is, glhf"
It's actually kind of interesting since Nightmare has been flying around ARC ever since we entered the sector for the first time. It's what that shadow in background was.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What I really like about the direction the story takes here is that the way the Federation is trying to get Samus not to kill the SA-X - withholding powerups - is exactly the same thing Adam pulls off in Other M. Except in this game it kind of makes sense.

In a weird, unplanned way, you could call this story Adam's redemption arc.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Just a very ugly, brutal, knock down drag out slugfest. The oversized Ridley sprite and roaring help sell that feeling for me.
It would if not for those tiny little flappy wings. Honestly, Ridley looks ridiculous more than anything else.
The stupid name doesn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fwoderwick posted:

Or as proper curveballs that may not be your jam at all, how about modern investigatory classics The Return of the Obra Dinn or The Outer Wilds? Nothing in your LPography suggests these are a good idea but then I would not have seen XCOM 2 a mile away either.
This sounds hilarious but it all depends on how you feeling about being naval/space detectives.
For a safer option, Yoku is always cool.