Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

For all its flaws, I always liked this game. It was the first 2D Metroid I played, and I think a lot of the features this game had that can turn off fans of Super Metroid (e.g. constant :words:, constantly telling you where to go, restricting backtracking) can make it work a lot better as an entry point. It's also just does a really good job with the horror tone and atmosphere.

It's going to be really interesting seeing how you react to a lot of this game given you're unfortunately familiar with Other M ,since Fusion played with some similar plot elements but executed them better. On the other hand, I could easily see that being ruined by e.g. what the retcons do to the character of Adam (who is fine if you just go by what's in this game). I'm curious to see if you end up thinking it still holds up, or has been poisoned by the future.

I honestly think my favourite 2D Metroid is AM2R (yes, the fangame one), but Fusion is a solid experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Your reactions had me grinning through the entire Serris fight, it's wonderful.

It's worth noting that in general Samus takes a lot more damage in this game than others (perhaps due to the thinner suit), and you can't really face-tank the way you might expect. Super Metroid can give you some bad habits for this one.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This game is pretty short, you can probably do it!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Yeah, having ice on missiles is nice in that it's no longer on your beam, but on the other hand, it makes your super missiles a little less super (and it's a common complaint that you barely have any time to use or enjoy the super missiles before they get replaced). IIRC the ice missiles still do super missile damage, but you lose the satisfying feel of the big explosion and they can no longer kill in one hit (because you always get the freeze instead).

A missile type selector in this game (like Super Metroid or Zero Mission) would have been a nice feature. I guess they didn't want you having too many ammo types? And, of course, there's no actual need to revert, because the game is designed around you having only one type of missile at a time. Still, it's enough to make one miss the ability to turn off powerups like in Super Metroid.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I was not expecting this area to go well. This is definitely one of the most oppressive sequences in the game, and your reluctance to dodge definitely isn't doing you any favours.

I remember it took me quite a while to get used to the Space Jump in this game (I think this was the first Metroid I played, and I had no idea how it worked); I got stuck in Yakuza's room for a while just trying to get out. That said, I do think it feels pretty good once you get used to it, there's a rhythm you can get into (I think I remember it being something like only pressing the jump button when Samus is heading downward?) and it might be worth practising because some of the later bosses really do expect you to use it to dodge. (I know there's no use trying to talk to past-you since this has all been recorded, but still.)

Nettori is a really weird boss. It's not very difficult once you get past the "agh how do I get out of the flowers" (I remember having trouble with this too, it is a bit counterintuitive how to get enough jump height), since it's stationary and all its attacks have straightforward counters, but those flowers have definitely killed a lot of players.

I'm hoping this isn't ruining the game for you, you really don't sound like you're having a good time any more.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

W.T. Fits posted:

I forget, does Metroid Fusion allow you to selectively disable specific suit upgrades the way Super did?

No, it definitely doesn't. I don't remember if that mechanic ever came back, but it certainly wasn't in any of the GBA games.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh god, Nightmare. This was the part of the game where I got stuck for quite a while on my first playthrough, I just couldn't wrap my head around how to deal with it.

I was also pretty worried about you because in many ways it's "use the Space Jump, the boss fight", but you're doing well enough I'm confident you'll get there in a few more tries. I don't know what the best strategies are, but I usually ended up doing laps around it with the space jump until it pauses, then grab the ladder and pump its face full of missiles until it starts moving again.

I do like this fight and think it's one of the more interesting ones in the game, but it can be quite frustrating. It's huge so dodging can get tricky, and it does a lot of collision damage.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I remember thinking the linear nature of this game would be a problem before playing it, but ended up not caring because both the narrative and gameplay design ended up being a lot tighter for it, and it allows moments like this to happen and feel more natural. It's really difficult to get a wham moment like this in a more traditionally open-ended Metroid game. It's great.

That said, I do think it's a bit of a missed opportunity we never actually get to see more than one of them at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That was certainly a journey. I'm glad you seem to have come around on this game after all the frustration and whinging about the Space Jump, the final arc of this game is definitely one of the high points and represents some of the best story writing in all of Metroid (not that it has that much to compete with, admittedly). It's a shame it's been tarnished in hindsight by Other M; Adam in this game was a pretty great character (which is probably one of the reasons that game was such a gut punch, people were excited to learn more about him and then... oh). I'm not quite sure how Sakamoto wrote both games.

The SA-X fight is interesting in that it's terrifying and difficult the first couple of times you fight it, but its AI can be easily manipulated once you work out how and then it's a harmless chump. The mutant toad phase is similar, it literally just has the one easily-dodged jump slam and looks a lot more dangerous than it actually is.

I think you would probably enjoy Zero Mission if you get around to it at some point (if nothing else, the Space Jump comes extremely late, right before the ending, and I think you can basically beat the game without ever using it, which you'll probably appreciate), but I suspect you're probably feeling a bit Metroided out. Aria of Sorrow is pretty great and I think you'd probably enjoy it; it doesn't quite have the je ne sais quoi of Symphony IMO but it's very close and it's more tightly designed in a lot of ways. Plus I have to admit I'm fond of what it tried to do story-wise.

Edit: thanks, Quackles, for posting the ending images. It's probably also worth noting that the Japanese version had a separate set of ending images for Hard Mode (though honestly most of these are kind of... bad, we're not missing much), but they removed Hard in the English release so we don't get to see those.