Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would assume wildlife will set off tripwires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Love the way you customized the logo on the truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wildlife setting off tripwires is possible, yeah. They'd need regular checking for sure.

I did not customize the logo. All of the parts falling off of this truck are of the finest American quality. :911:

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
The tripwires set off a blank charge? Yeah, that would scare the gently caress out of me. (Although I don’t know why I would be there, unless I were an aspiring thief or a couple of kids on an important mission of exploration.) After making sure I still had all of my limbs and digits, I would run as fast as I could back to the road.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Are you permanently out on the West coast? Has the house of pain finally left your tired hands?

Glad to see you back

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Y'all that's what the other thread is about and I don't feel like ever thinking about it again. That's why I closed the thread and I will not hesitate to close this one again as well if you all keep bringing it back up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What do you do with the literal tons of blackberry thicket you hack out? Burn it or?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Y'all that's what the other thread is about and I don't feel like ever thinking about it again. That's why I closed the thread and I will not hesitate to close this one again as well if you all keep bringing it back up.

no issues, Honestly I want more adventures in the blackberry patch and what you and your family do to make it yours.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I eagerly await more stories in the eternal war against blackberries. I have not so fond memories of helping my dad clear our two acres as a kid, at its height some of those stems were as big around as my wrist and a good 10ft high. What a motherfucker those couple of summers were.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Sign me up for Honcho vs Blackberry adventures.

We didn't really have that many berry bushes at my parents' place in Vermont, and I'm not in the most boring suburbia in PA, but I leave the rose bush alone except for water and it doesn't stab me, so it's a decent stalemate.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A hidden camera setup might yield some interesting results.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

What do you do with the literal tons of blackberry thicket you hack out? Burn it or?

Wet season: burn it
Dry season: wait for wet season then burn it

First got all 4 corner piers placed, squared, and plumb.

Got the 3 midspan piers placed. Stumps and brush stumps in the way of two, oh well, these don't have to be perfect.

All 15 piers placed, waited for the sun to go down (so my laser level would be visible) while cutting joists to length, then measured the relative heights of all the piers.

Found the tallest pier and subtracted its height from the other 14s, cut 14 blocks to make them all level.

Set the support beams

Nailed all the joists together over the support beams

Nailed 4/6 of the sheets of PLYWOOD down before the generator ran out of gas and I called it a night.

I am now very tired... Time to do the walls and roof.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 3, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dang, that's a solid day's work. Weirdest looking "drywall" I've ever seen though :v:

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dang, that's a solid day's work. Weirdest looking "drywall" I've ever seen though :v:

The mythical load-bearing drywall.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

God loving dammit

I need therapy or something

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Do you not mechanically attach or pin those blocks to the piers in any way? To the beams?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It looks like the piers have a hole in the middle, which can be combined with a pin of some kind (e.g. a short piece of rebar) to keep the blocks from sliding around. Otherwise, gravity should do the job. Everything else is presumably nailed together.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Also, the blackberries will wire everything together once the shed is finished

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Lord Awkward posted:

Also, the blackberries will wire everything together once the shed is finished

Load bearing blackberries

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah the piers will be surrounded by duff and soil soon enough, they're not going anywhere. You can rebar pin them down but I didn't bother. The building holds them down also.

I ran a couple toenails into each block from the 4x6s and a couple more from each joist into each 4x6 just so it can't move around.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah the pins are just there to ease construction. So that while you're walking around with 8 hungover people framing out the joists they don't fall off. My whole house was like that for the first 70 years of its life, as were a LOT of peoples, down here in earthquake country. Now it's held on by a bunch of rated plates held on by rated bolts drowned in rated epoxy (or something, it smelled horrific.) It's not worth doing at all even a little bit for an outbuilding, especially if it's not seismically active.

That base looks great. Awesome start and an astonishingly good days work. It's crazy to see how just nice everything looks when you get to start from dirt. :toot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This area is definitely seismically active but more in the "mostly tiny quakes SIKE HAVE A 9.0 WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WAS POSSIBLE HERE UNTIL THE LATE 80S HAHAHAHA I'M SO RANDOM" variety than your area.

I'm basically on top of the cascadian subduction zone and Seattle fault.

So I'm building the shed as if none of that is true, but the house and barn will be built to handle it gracefully, if not survive it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

This area is definitely seismically active but more in the "mostly tiny quakes SIKE HAVE A 9.0 WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WAS POSSIBLE HERE UNTIL THE LATE 80S HAHAHAHA I'M SO RANDOM" variety than your area.

I'm basically on top of the cascadian subduction zone and Seattle fault.

So I'm building the shed as if none of that is true, but the house and barn will be built to handle it gracefully, if not survive it.

Yup. The biggest thing is when "the big one" hits it's generally luck if your building is still standing. The little 3.0-4.x shakers who cares about. Are you hoping to do slab for the main buildings? Or more pier and beam?

These bad boys are now giving my house the hopes and dreams of not sliding off its foundation when The Big Enough one hits:
https://www.strongtie.com/foundationanchors_concreteconnectorsandanchors/urfp_plate/p/urfp
https://www.strongtie.com/epoxyanchoringadhesives_adhesives/set-3g_adhesive/p/set-3g (lol "low-odor formulation" good lord I would hate to see the regular odor.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 3, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm not sure, I need to talk to a structural engineer and find out if helical piles would even be allowed on a slope like ours consisting of glacial till. Once I know the answer to that I need to decide if it's going to be helical piles, piers and post and beam, or conventional walkout basement footings and walls based on what will be the lowest CO2 impact.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I only got out there for about half a day today but made good time once I was out there. First we had to unload, carry, and stack the supplies for building the walls (17 sheets of T1-11, 27 8ft 2x4, 9 10ft 2x4, 6 12ft 2x4, 5 16ft 2x4) and then I started with the scariest wall to stand up on the theory that if it goes well, the rest will too, right?

10ft tall, 16ft long, 24oc studs and all the full sheets of T1-11 preinstalled:

Add a little jigging to keep it from sliding off the edge as I stand it up, preconnect one end of the diagonal bracing to the floor joists, take a deep breath and walk it up...

... Success.

That's all for tonight, hopefully going to get the back wall (8ft x 16ft) stood tomorrow and maybe the two end walls as well if I'm lucky.

Then it's time to go buy the roof lumber :shepspends:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is lumber still way outrageous?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You're a wild man. I framed all the walls on my platform, set them aside as I went, then put them in place (nailed the sills down and a handful in the corners) , and called a friend over to help sheath them vertically. As studs they were easy to move on my own (especially on 24" centers), it would be game over to have sheathing on them. It was pretty easy to plumb them when sheathing too, tack a couple nails in to rest the sheathing on my chalk line, set it, one nail, tweak it, nail 2, then nail the rest off.

Otherwise looks good, I don't envy the way your body must feel after first working hunched over for a while then moving heavy things!

Whats the roof design gonna be? If you haven't planned already, I highly reccomend a good eave over the entrance. Something you rarely get with a prefab shed that looks so much nicer and keeps the entrance looking nice and dry.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Lumber prices are significantly down from their peak. Still a little high I'd say but nowhere near as bad as they were in 2020. I was seeing as high as 90 dollars a sheet for 3/4 cdx and 8 dollars for 8ft 2x4s then, I just paid 35 dollars a sheet and like 2-3 dollars respectively. This is still around a 2500 dollar shed build but it's cheaper than renting a storage unit for just 9 months and we get to keep the shed after.

Standing the wall up actually wasn't too bad. The worst part was getting it off the decking, I had to pry it up with my framing hammer to get my fingers under it but it went pretty easy from there.

The idea was to have eaves over the door, with the door on the front, but then there were seedling trees and a slash pile in the way of the front so I moved it to the side and now there's no eaves planned. Oh well. It'll be a 16x14 sloped shed roof with 1ft eaves on front and back and nothing on the ends.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

like 2-3 dollars

https://fulhamtimber.co.uk/cls-studwork-timber-4x2-38x89mm-finished-size/

£9 for an 8ft 2x4, which is about $11.50

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I just bought two 8’ 2x8s for $15/each. That seems high but I don’t know what normal is anymore.

They are nice and straight and clear from a local building centre, not a lowesdepot

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

mr.belowaverage posted:

They are nice and straight and clear from a local building centre, not a lowesdepot

That's really the hardest part. I swear that's the two places I give the most scrutiny these days: the 2x4 rack, and the pallets of strawberries at costco.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Spent most of the day finishing up the in-laws woodshop electrical install but managed to get down to the property to build and stand up another shed wall anyways.

Here's how you do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C0kuFHY0DQ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, I can see why you're preinstalling the sheathing: it's a purely rectangular build, no angle bracing, so without the sheathing those walls would each want to rack really badly. Putting the sheathing on before you stand them means no need to add angled bits.

Are the open spaces on the left wall for windows?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, I can see why you're preinstalling the sheathing: it's a purely rectangular build, no angle bracing, so without the sheathing those walls would each want to rack really badly. Putting the sheathing on before you stand them means no need to add angled bits.

These ones didn't much rack at all when being put up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=75#post520080080

Once I'd nailed them down they were happy to stand up on their own while I put the temporary stays in.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leperflesh posted:

That's true that sheathing provides shear strength, but it's not really a huge issue for a shed with bare stud walls or generally even a house. The stud skeleton alone is light and doesn't have any other downward forces. It gets a little out of square and you just adjust it when you put up the first piece of sheathing and it's good to go, it doesn't collapse or anything. Especially if you're using a nail gun, those tend to hold really tight. In my perspective it's just a different way of doing it and each has their pros and cons. It's a lot easier to get the sheathing on alone like Kastein is doing.

You can use scraps too as diagonal blocking without even cutting them, just run wild on the face and rip them off when you're done.

Looks like the heaviest portions are behind ya! Just two infill ends with an angle, and it's rafter city for you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You all pretty much nailed it (heh) on this, it's much easier to put it on when it's flat and square the walls up then stand them and screw them down.

I've been debating putting windows in the top but the original thought was that I'd use more T1-11, they're exactly 24" long openings so all 4 can come out of one sheet. Now I'm debating using clear corrugated siding on that part though... Because this won't have any lights in it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Now I'm debating using clear corrugated siding on that part though... Because this won't have any lights in it.

I assumed that was the plan or just leftover sheets.

Depends on the usage. You drat well know you can get battery powered lights that will last for YEARS of occasional usage or just bring your battery portables in when necessary. If you're gonna be in there in the day on the reg than use the clear stuff and when you're past that high usage hump and it gets nasty after 10 years you can take it off and throw a sheet of T1-11 on it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

You all pretty much nailed it (heh) on this, it's much easier to put it on when it's flat and square the walls up then stand them and screw them down.

I've been debating putting windows in the top but the original thought was that I'd use more T1-11, they're exactly 24" long openings so all 4 can come out of one sheet. Now I'm debating using clear corrugated siding on that part though... Because this won't have any lights in it.

I have a shed without windows and it really sucks because there isn't power for lights. When the door closes on me (and it always does) it's pitch black. Then I kick it open and try to get my poo poo done in 10 seconds before it closes again. At my last house my shed had 4 smallish windows (proportional to the size of the shed as if it was a small house) and I had no problems with lighting.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

daslog posted:

When the door closes on me (and it always does) it's pitch black.

This is honestly a good enough quality of life reason to just put in at least a few panels for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Amazon shows a solar shed light for $30... no idea how long it'll last.