Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:stare: those thorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
How many pods?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Those who read my rants about busted rear end cars already know but we arrived last night. We'll be working on the property in a matter of days but first we need to get the RV a bit more ready, etc.

:confuoot: I can't wait to watch your sanity further dwindle.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

When does the house go on the market? Is it almost time to finally close the longest running saga on the forums?

Sidenote goldmine this thread

This thread will need to be goldmined so you're not wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If the earth decides to move beneath your feet nothing man-made is going to stop it. You can only try to live. Strap your bookcases, tie a pair of shoes to your bed or put them in a drawer you can physically reach from the bed.

For wildfires the focus would be on defensible space around the habitable structures. You wouldn't want to be pumping that water out of the ground in real time but holding it in non-potable reserve tanks. It might even be something that could be easily filled through rain capture if that is legal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Pb in your plumbing always ruins your day.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Same

However, it rained its dick off today and none of it made it inside! So I'm declaring this a victory.

gently caress

Yeah

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What do you do with the literal tons of blackberry thicket you hack out? Burn it or?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah the pins are just there to ease construction. So that while you're walking around with 8 hungover people framing out the joists they don't fall off. My whole house was like that for the first 70 years of its life, as were a LOT of peoples, down here in earthquake country. Now it's held on by a bunch of rated plates held on by rated bolts drowned in rated epoxy (or something, it smelled horrific.) It's not worth doing at all even a little bit for an outbuilding, especially if it's not seismically active.

That base looks great. Awesome start and an astonishingly good days work. It's crazy to see how just nice everything looks when you get to start from dirt. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

This area is definitely seismically active but more in the "mostly tiny quakes SIKE HAVE A 9.0 WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WAS POSSIBLE HERE UNTIL THE LATE 80S HAHAHAHA I'M SO RANDOM" variety than your area.

I'm basically on top of the cascadian subduction zone and Seattle fault.

So I'm building the shed as if none of that is true, but the house and barn will be built to handle it gracefully, if not survive it.

Yup. The biggest thing is when "the big one" hits it's generally luck if your building is still standing. The little 3.0-4.x shakers who cares about. Are you hoping to do slab for the main buildings? Or more pier and beam?

These bad boys are now giving my house the hopes and dreams of not sliding off its foundation when The Big Enough one hits:
https://www.strongtie.com/foundationanchors_concreteconnectorsandanchors/urfp_plate/p/urfp
https://www.strongtie.com/epoxyanchoringadhesives_adhesives/set-3g_adhesive/p/set-3g (lol "low-odor formulation" good lord I would hate to see the regular odor.)

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Oregon, but, well, same reason.

Coastal elite meth heads.