Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

H110Hawk posted:

:stare: those thorns.

They're pretty good.

Note to self: Do NOT wear sandals to Kastein's place again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

The plan is standing seam metal roofs. I don't ever want to do a roof again.

Exterior wall covering I was debating between hardiboard, vinyl, and cedar shakes. I may do vinyl first just because it's fast and cheap and will give me time to let finances recover (ha! Like that ever happens), or might do hardiboard lookalike cedar shakes. I really like the way shakes look but they certainly are flammable, we use low grade ones from my shim shingle bundle as firestarter material out east.

Trim will be 100% PVC. I don't ever want to have to worry about rot.

Oh no, gently caress vinyl siding, it's hideous, and it allows poo poo to grow up behind it if you're not careful, also difficult to repair, also it will hide water intrusion problems.

Hardi's pretty awesome for what it is, won't rot, doesn't burn, cheap enough.

Definitely take another look at standing seam roofs when it's time to put one on, there's lots of local manufacturers and you may find a good deal.

Re: fireproofing, Western Washington, especially out here on the Peninsulas, is still pretty low risk for fires, although your neighbor's, notoriously, uh, flammable hobbies might pose an increased risk. Obviously climate change is actively increasing the risk every year too.

That being said, having, say 50' of firebreak around your house is a good idea for a bunch of reasons, it'll help with trees dropping needles and leaves and poo poo all over your roof and gutters, it'll help with trees not blowing over and crushing your house, it'll help you remove diseased trees if necessary. With 5 acres of land you can still absolutely feel like you're nestled in the trees, while avoiding all the risks that come with that. I'm looking out my window right now, and pretty much all I see is giant firs and maples, but none of them are close enough to damage my house, that's the luxury of having a nice big property.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Maybe there's a terminology issue, when I think standing-seam roofing.it looks like I'm thinking of R-panel, which is what I usually see in residential applications.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's fascinating, Forks isn't very far north of the KP by latitude.

Real interesting stuff going on with First Nations people in WA this year, some Tribes are blockading Reservations off from outsiders during COVID.

Guess they have a lot of experience with the White Man bringing disease on their land or something.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Honestly most of the debate I see seems to be the electricians complaining about the sheetrock guys just blatantly covering up their boxes, which blows my mind, having done both jobs. I have no idea how anyone can hang sheetrock over a box sticking out a half inch and not notice unless they were completely blasted out of their mind on something.

And occasionally plumbing or hvac being in the way... Sorry not much you can do about that without screwing things up bad, run the wires around.

So many buried boxes, boxes that had a roto-zip with no depth stop just crammed in them, slicing through wires and sometimes the sides of the box. The cardboard ripped out from inside the panel and the bus-bars and wires sprayed with texture...

Some drywallers just don't give a gently caress, some do though.

How does a fire suppression system work with a well? Is there an accumulator, or can the well pump provide enough GPM to run the system on its own?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Motronic posted:

Depends on what the well can produce vs. the fireflow calculations. Very often you are looking at a cistern or tanks of a sufficient capacity for the structure and almost always you're looking at a fire pump, very often a non-electric one.

Ooof, I think I'd stick with a good homeowner's policy and bank on the fact that wildfires are still very rare in this part of western WA.

Kastein, those quotes for steel buildings you've been getting, is that fully insulated and ready for climate control?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's interesting. The well casing is carbon steel, and Bacteria just loves all the little pits and crevices rust forms, and ir never really dries out here. So I could see that happening.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Good luck man, that's awesome!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Welcome to trying to build during 6 months of rain, or the "long dark" as we like to call it.

Good luck!

(I'm still stranded in a hellhole 5knmi away, eventually I'll be there to help)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anecdotes aren't data and certainly don't replace proper Geotechnical engineering, but my house is built on 50/50 hardpan clay/the shittiest, sandiest most subsumable glacial till ever. It was also built to no codes by drunk morons, near a much steeper grade than exists on your property, and it's survived 5 6.0+ tremors in that time period. That being said I'm probably hosed in a megathrust earthquake type scenario, if I don't end up in Puget Sound, there's a good chance I end up with a hill on top of me. Either way, Washington has pretty stringent seismic building codes, and I'd be pretty comfortable in a home that meets them.

Simpson has a lot of really cool technical information about all their anchoring systems, I read their PDFs a lot when I was trying to figure out the whys and wheres of earthquake tie downs.

From my experience digging, Seattle's brand of glacial till is massively different from out here on the peninsula's, it's rock hard clay shot with an absurd amount of stone, this article by the City of Seattle seems to back that up.

Obviously a well put together document

I should buy my buddy an account, he's a construction manager and has been rebuilding Santa Rosa in the aftermath of the wildfires they had there a few years ago, apparently there's some really cool ecologically sound and earthquake resistant cast-in-place masonry building techniques that are being used in CA now on high end homes, along with sprinkler systems being mandatory on SFHs there now.

I love all the discussions on these topics in this thread, my whole construction related education is from "big man says put steel here" trades types or self taught, it's really enlightening reading stuff people with actual education in the area have to say.

E: the two stage well systems are really nice, I had one in NY and the water pressure was amazing. My current setup is a 3 stage 1/2hp centrifugal pump with about 50 gallons of pressurized storage fed by city water, and that provides constant pressure to 5 houses, I looked up installation costs awhile ago and all the equipment for an overkill setup like that is only a few thousand, installation looks dead simple.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 25, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

In my day job we call that "the fittings game" where you try and make fitting x adapt to fitting y with an increasingly bizarre set of adapters.

It's no one's favorite game.

E: I've only ever seen NPS in electrical conduit and some weirdo specialty fittings that use face-sealing Teflon gasketed washers.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 25, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This record cold winter has been really fun for plumbing catastrophes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

No OSHA violations here, I'm even wearing steel toes instead of safety sandals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

New seismic mitigation building technique, simply hold the earth down to stop it shaking.