Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, as far as the house design itself is concerned the big things are making sure that the roof and siding are not easily flammable, because the #1 way fire spreads is by embers blowing in the wind and landing on something that can burn. So stuff like cedar shingles are out, but tar shingles with the pebbles embedded is OK and so is metal. Stucco siding of course is a solid pick, I think hardyboard also works well? Don't take my half-remembered musings as fact though.

On a similar note, isn't it mostly all that ground brush that burns? If you can keep the blackberries and grass and so on cleared out and under control, that ought to reduce your risk.

Metal roof is probably the best bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Don't do. Cedar, it's gonna be a bitch and requires painting at least every few years to not rot with that humidity. And the fire risk is huge

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
So in a dozen miles a thousand cars passed you :v:

What's left on the house now, you think you'll have it up before fall?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

iv46vi posted:

I understand that “kastein” mode is one notch past 11 on the hardcore dial and you drove across states with mad max fury road soundtrack tape blasting on the stereo, but is the plan here to take an abandoned RV and spend a winter on undeveloped plot of land?

What’s the climate like over there and what kind of utilities/comforts does the land have?

It's in his other thread, it's a plot of land in the Pacific northwest with a well that he had dug and other utilities I believe setup.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
When does the house go on the market? Is it almost time to finally close the longest running saga on the forums?

Sidenote goldmine this thread

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
And the window :v:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
And remember that the things cost a few 6 figures on top of it to to bring that analogy around that your not just paying a ton of money for a piece of poo poo, but a ton of money for a moving piece of poo poo.

And people buy new ones that cost half a mill and just live in them.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Are you permanently out on the West coast? Has the house of pain finally left your tired hands?

Glad to see you back

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Y'all that's what the other thread is about and I don't feel like ever thinking about it again. That's why I closed the thread and I will not hesitate to close this one again as well if you all keep bringing it back up.

no issues, Honestly I want more adventures in the blackberry patch and what you and your family do to make it yours.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is lumber still way outrageous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Legit that's awesome and it's great that it worked so well. Absolutely terrifying I bet moving the rotary in though!