Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I can't guarantee space for anyone, but there's plenty of land for sale cheap on this street and I'd love to have more like minded people around.

Tempting. We've never lived anywhere but TX, but wife is... unenthusiastic about more TX summers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dig a basement the whole house can slot down into with a solid fireproof ceiling cap.
Observation dome, air filtration, hydraulic lift mechanism etc left to your usual mechanical aptitude.

I need to see something like that Dahir Insaat earthquake bed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Options at present:
Dialup if you can get anyone to string copper that far out
Wave if you're North of a certain point on the peninsula which we are not
Hughesnet satellite (the first H is silent)
Two cans and a very long piece of string

That's... About it. No cable, no dsl this far south. At all. No fiber.

If things go well for starlink I'll probably be a customer. If they go poorly I hope to start my own ISP and sell internet to a few hundred of my neighbors instead of having a corporate job.

Ah, well that spoils it for me. I live on the internet/Xbox.

...but maybe that will be a viable option by the time I can actually afford to try this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

What vehicle is this? Sounds... Fun?

Yeah, I seem to have missed what adventure we're on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

:confuoot: I can't wait to watch your sanity further dwindle.

sani-what now?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I hope you don't get used to the view, because that's awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

rdb posted:

You never mentioned the loving tiger mural on the back of the camper.

I have the same comment.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I have at least 6" of folders in a filing cabinet of owners manuals and receipts. Somewhat organized by "tools", "electronics", "mobile electronics," and "other." Has come in handy multiple times. I do have to go through from time to time and cull out the ones for stuff we no longer own.
I'm just as likely to have an electronic version for the manufacturers that provide, and I really appreciate when they do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

iv46vi posted:

Score one with a proper caulking technique in a thorny bush area.

Was that innuendo?
I live on the internet and my brain really wants it to be.
If not, I'm sorry.
If so :thumbsup:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That was gold.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Galler posted:

I installed a basement window high up on my shed and put some frosted privacy film on it. It added enough light but would have been difficult for someone to use to break in. Though my shed was in the middle of a neighborhood so different risk profile.

I managed to find four 1' x 2' (as I recall) side sliders at my local Lowes that were returns, and therefore cheap. I assume someone bought them thinking you could use them vertically, but discovered a fact of windows (springs...)
I slide them shut when it get's below about 60F, then open them back up when it gets above that.
Between the open windows, eave vents, and, crucially, the ridge vent I installed (peaked roof,) the shed is actually tolerable in summer here in Texas. It does help that it's mostly shaded by trees, but I'm surprised by how not-hot it is inside.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's a great idea. Lot simpler than a swinging crane or whatever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

It's so drat nice out here. That point was really driven home to me by going back east in July to pack. I was soaked with sweat to the point that my entire shirt was saturated and dripping and so were my pants down to the knees, 90 degrees, 98% humidity, moving heavy objects in full sun with no wind. Dew points into the 70 and 80 degrees range. Getting absolutely mobbed by mosquitoes and noseeums and black flies.

Then flew back here and it's, well, today it is partially cloudy, 50% humidity, 60 degree dew point, 75 degrees, and that's the warmest it's going to get today. I'm on my way to home depot and just rolled one window UP because it was a little too chilly for the highway with both down. I haven't used bug spray in this timezone.

Last night I got half the drip edge done and 6 of the 8 rows of roofing.

Barely broke a sweat doing it, too.

Maaaaaaaan, I don't want to uproot, find a new job, friends, etc., but it's just getting dismal here in North Texas. Don't know how many more 100+ summers I can take. More importantly, I don't know how many more my wife can take. PNW and like, Colorado are on my list.
Will be in Seattle in October for business, so that'll be my first exposure to the area.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Now there's a marketing slogan. Move over Flex Tape, the big dick adhesive's in town.

LOL.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I'd support either of those choices, Colorado is rad too. But remember there are three Colorados. Flat cornlandistan red state Colorado, mountain red state Colorado, and mountain blue state Colorado.

(To be fair that also applies to the PNW)

Which end of October are you coming in? It'll either be beautiful or raining 100% of the time. There are a handful of AI+DIY regulars out here so warn us right before you land if you might have free time.

Week of the 23rd (immediately after getting back from Vegas for my Anniversary, LOL.)
Most likely will not have time. Wanted to stay an extra day, but my wife is coming with me, and will have already burned a week for said anniversary, plus we have friends in the area that have already called dibs (sorry!) I wish I had more time, but basically it's a department group thing, so I don't even have evenings free like you normally would on a business trip. Literally the entire IT department for the business unit (all of the Americas plus Canada, and including some team members officed in the Philippines) will be there, and we do team stuff and dinners as well as the presentations during the day. Actually pretty neat, since we're scattered across the continent (3, actually?) and this is the first in-person one since 2019, which was in Fort Worth. Great for the folks from elsewhere, but I live here... 2018 was in Austin. Slightly better, but still. 2017 was in San Diego, and that was better. We pushed for Hawaii, but alas. Or even Canada, since a lot of us Americans haven't been there.
Vegas would have been amusing, since I'd already be there. I tried to convince the wife we should either hang out in Vegas another day and fly or drive directly to Seattle, and hand out an extra day or two there, but she wants to come home for a day for some reason.

edit: kinda bummed I can't hang out with you guys, honestly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I like that the beam trolley looks like a dog.

Legit did not notice that until you pointed it out.

edit: a happy dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

New seismic mitigation building technique, simply hold the earth down to stop it shaking.

LOL