Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

So that looks like you're talking about steel roofing panels, not actual standing seam that you'd see on 1800's construction. The standing seam roofing I'm talking about is made from rolls of steel and is literally soldered and folded at the joints. It's horrendously labor intensive.

How does the stuff you posted work? Because it looks like various styles of roofing panels that I can get here, all of which you'd be using gasketed screws to install.

That's what we call standing seam in Colorado, for commercial construction at least. Hidden fasteners and clips at the vertical and overlapped with the next panel. Long lasting and durable. I've used Berridge a few times now.

https://www.berridge.com/products/standing-seam-systems/

Very popular in mountain towns here, outfitted with snow gems and snowmelt cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

immoral_ posted:

All I know about fire suppression systems can be boiled down to, the installers a generally pretty cool to work with, will reroute(to a limit) any time you need them to. But if you don't get to them real drat early, you're going to have sprinkler pipes/hangers in every spot you were going to put some.

It's almost magical.

One hundred percent accuracy.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Or your electrician doesn't bother adjusting them at all or installs them all the way deep to begin with.

Or they just have a whip with no box for under cab lighting or a lighted mirror that gets buried in 50/100 units.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Calling a earthquake victim "Visibly Shaken" is top tier news writing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If you want to avoid RV caulk rot just visit bluechew.com and use code "DOMETIC" for 20% off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I assumed we had all listened to a podcast with a mostly male audience before.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You're a wild man. I framed all the walls on my platform, set them aside as I went, then put them in place (nailed the sills down and a handful in the corners) , and called a friend over to help sheath them vertically. As studs they were easy to move on my own (especially on 24" centers), it would be game over to have sheathing on them. It was pretty easy to plumb them when sheathing too, tack a couple nails in to rest the sheathing on my chalk line, set it, one nail, tweak it, nail 2, then nail the rest off.

Otherwise looks good, I don't envy the way your body must feel after first working hunched over for a while then moving heavy things!

Whats the roof design gonna be? If you haven't planned already, I highly reccomend a good eave over the entrance. Something you rarely get with a prefab shed that looks so much nicer and keeps the entrance looking nice and dry.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, I can see why you're preinstalling the sheathing: it's a purely rectangular build, no angle bracing, so without the sheathing those walls would each want to rack really badly. Putting the sheathing on before you stand them means no need to add angled bits.

That's true that sheathing provides shear strength, but it's not really a huge issue for a shed with bare stud walls or generally even a house. The stud skeleton alone is light and doesn't have any other downward forces. It gets a little out of square and you just adjust it when you put up the first piece of sheathing and it's good to go, it doesn't collapse or anything. Especially if you're using a nail gun, those tend to hold really tight. In my perspective it's just a different way of doing it and each has their pros and cons. It's a lot easier to get the sheathing on alone like Kastein is doing.

You can use scraps too as diagonal blocking without even cutting them, just run wild on the face and rip them off when you're done.

Looks like the heaviest portions are behind ya! Just two infill ends with an angle, and it's rafter city for you.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Almost as if it's something you can just look up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Maaaaaaaan, I don't want to uproot, find a new job, friends, etc., but it's just getting dismal here in North Texas. Don't know how many more 100+ summers I can take. More importantly, I don't know how many more my wife can take. PNW and like, Colorado are on my list.
Will be in Seattle in October for business, so that'll be my first exposure to the area.

LOL.

Colorado would love to have you. Drop in bro.