Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
In! Godspeed, you crazy fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

Are we about to witness kastein unleashed from the confines of 120 years of construction dogma?

:getin:

I think "about" is optimistic, although the market is pretty crazy right now in New England.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
A loving pine 2x4 is $6 here. PT is basically unavailable. 5/8" BC plywood is $40 a sheet. It's crazy town.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

No doubt about lasting longer because yeah, you have those rubber gaskets on the weird combo self tapper sheet metal and wood screws. I'm not seeing any new building in my area of the northeast using legit standing seam. If you're in an area where that's not specialty labor (like it is here - that's right up there with river stone rubble wall masonry repair for your 1700/1800s farm house) it makes a lot of sense for longevity, but coming from where I'm at I'm thinking it's ridiculously expensive. Guess not in the right areas.

Kind of like veneer plaster. Try to get it done outside of New England, it's hideously expensive. Around here, it's about 10% more than drywall, but only takes a day and there's no dust. It's also far far more durable.

Ken, you should learn to do it! It's maddeningly simple looking, but a real bitch to get right.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Honestly most of the debate I see seems to be the electricians complaining about the sheetrock guys just blatantly covering up their boxes, which blows my mind, having done both jobs. I have no idea how anyone can hang sheetrock over a box sticking out a half inch and not notice unless they were completely blasted out of their mind on something.

And occasionally plumbing or hvac being in the way... Sorry not much you can do about that without screwing things up bad, run the wires around.

My plasterers buried 2 boxes in our bathroom. They're depth-adjustable boxes, and they adjusted them back all the way and then buried them... Sigh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

GREETINGS INTERNET BLACKBERRY ENTHUSIASTS

So Thursday we flew into LAX, rode North to Nipomo with my in-laws. Took stock of the condition of the beast, planned Friday parts and tools acquisition.

Condition:
Hasn't driven in 3? 5? 10? Years. Uncertain. "Overheated once but we filled it right back up", radiator chock full of brownish blackish foamy sludge of indeterminate provenance. 2008 date coded tires with the Grand Canyon dry cracked into the sidewalls. Cooling system had a gallon of liquid in it but that's it. Many dead bulbs. Batteries totally shot. Roof tarped because it leaks. Belts crusty and flapping. Etc etc etc

Bought some new radiator hoses, oil change, fuel filter, trans filter, belts, etc. New starting battery. Got it to hold water, filled it up, got it started, verified it holds pressure. New wipers, fixed all the exterior lighting, changed the oil. I'm out of time or I'd change the trans fluid too, it looks alright. Got new tires on it today.

Remaining repairs needed: belts, patch roof, waterproof the window on the door.

We start the 1200 mile drive tomorrow. I would post pics but my phone has its head up its rear end and so does the imgur app so... No pictures because it's 2021 and software developers have made uploading and hotlinking a jpeg loving impossible.

Hopefully we make it there, if so we'll be in Washington later this week and... Then flying back east again.

What vehicle is this? Sounds... Fun?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Water rights are, like, one of the fundamental challenges of civilization. If you're downstream of someone else, do they have the right to consume all of the water that you would normally have access to? Usually, the answer is "no". But enforcement of that decision ends up manifesting as a bunch of really weird-looking laws that, at their root, are intended to ensure that people don't consume so much water that their neighbors run dry.

Except it's been corrupted. Replace people with corporations, and it makes more sense why it's a poo poo show now. Nestle can extract millions of gallons of water while down the street people's taps run dry. Why? Number must go up!

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
24" of reinforced concrete for the walls and 36" for the roof should suffice, right?