Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

immoral_ posted:

I'm just here for the inevitable tinbanging in a year and a half.

Going all H H Holmes but sheet metal trapdoors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

May I suggest replacing the nearest trees with fire retardant car dealership inflatable waving dudes. Namaste.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dig a basement the whole house can slot down into with a solid fireproof ceiling cap.
Observation dome, air filtration, hydraulic lift mechanism etc left to your usual mechanical aptitude.

I once worked at a company that did the digital signage around football pitches, and the way fire evacuations work there (particularly after the Bradford disaster) is that all the fans need to be able to quickly get onto the pitch, tricky when there's waist-high 4" thick LED panels around three sides.

There are a number of solutions to this now, but at the time Man United was the first to get them fitted, and the solution they went with was to, as you say, dig a concrete pit underneath them all so they could all be dropped at a moment's notice, and this had to be tested before every match.

Did they fit a hydraulic lift to bring them back up? No, only the richest football club in the world installing £1m of hardware, why bother? To be fair they only need to go *down* in a hurry. So whenever I worked a match there I got to see an admittedly impressive tonnage of computer hardware drop 4ft into the ground, but then also got to see two guys from the club named Dave and Steve go round with a hand jack and lift them back up one by one.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

My plasterers buried 2 boxes in our bathroom. They're depth-adjustable boxes, and they adjusted them back all the way and then buried them... Sigh.

Builders plasterboarded over a two-gang box and the electricians and I had to spend half an hour tracking it down when we were doing electrical signoff and one of the rings was complaining.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

The rain is just being a severe pain in my rear end exactly when I have to be outside prepping for construction and making all the things waterproof so the rest can be worked on without being rained on.

Yep, that's exactly where I am too. I wanted to get things weatherproof before October but failed, and now everything takes 10x as long.

So what's the deal with the road running through your property? Is that what the easement is for?

Also did you consider using a laser measure instead of tape? You'd still have to use interim markers but at least you'd only need line of sight.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah it's not ideal, gotta choose between "gently caress the tape is snagged again" and "gently caress where's the loving dot".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You're american, buy a gun. Who needs a stream of particles when a really big one will do.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

We haven't clipped that one as we both feel it will be more intuitive.

That's how mine works from the factory, and it was pretty intuitive, yeah.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

like 2-3 dollars

https://fulhamtimber.co.uk/cls-studwork-timber-4x2-38x89mm-finished-size/

£9 for an 8ft 2x4, which is about $11.50

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, I can see why you're preinstalling the sheathing: it's a purely rectangular build, no angle bracing, so without the sheathing those walls would each want to rack really badly. Putting the sheathing on before you stand them means no need to add angled bits.

These ones didn't much rack at all when being put up:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=75#post520080080

Once I'd nailed them down they were happy to stand up on their own while I put the temporary stays in.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

daslog posted:

I have a shed without windows and it really sucks because there isn't power for lights. When the door closes on me (and it always does) it's pitch black. Then I kick it open and try to get my poo poo done in 10 seconds before it closes again. At my last house my shed had 4 smallish windows (proportional to the size of the shed as if it was a small house) and I had no problems with lighting.

Maybe invest in a brick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I like that the beam trolley looks like a dog.