Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

The plan is standing seam metal roofs. I don't ever want to do a roof again.

Holy poo poo :shepspends:

Re: Trees near your home. As someone who deals with trees falling on poo poo regularly, I'd say keep it to stuff that is resistant to wind if you leave anything within striking distance. Many species of pine, maple, cedar, gum trees are right out, as they will grow taller than their root structure can handle and will blow over.

Also chinaberry and bradford pear, but neither of those have any good place and should be nuked from outer space IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think the advantage of standing seam is that the hardware is hidden and not exposed to the elements. The other types of metal roofing panels I'm familiar with require exposed screws with rubber washers. They perform well but don't last forever.

It's also available in a heavy gauge, seems to be most popular (edit - here, in the US southeast) for commercial buildings where low maintenance and storm performance make it worth the cost.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

If you're in an area where that's not specialty labor (like it is here - that's right up there with river stone rubble wall masonry repair for your 1700/1800s farm house) it makes a lot of sense for longevity, but coming from where I'm at I'm thinking it's ridiculously expensive. Guess not in the right areas.

It is absolutely specially roofing here and very expensive. That was Elviscat suggesting to shop around, he is local to Washington I think. I see it here in SC on commercial properties like utility offices, government buildings, schools, etc. Stuff that's built to spec and where the occupant doesn't expect to move for a long time.

I've seen one residence with a standing seam roof, and the guy was a contractor who self-built and he told me just the roofing was $80k. Granted it was a large house (I'd guess 4500 sq ft) but the roof was an extremely uncomplicated, plain hip design with no dormers or anything.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Noun

standing seam (plural standing seams)

(roofing) A type of seam between adjacent sheets of metal roofing material made by turning up the edges of two adjacent panels and then folding or interlocking them in a variety of ways.