Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Really enjoyed the first episode of HypMic. The music's good and I like the way they transition from 2D to (very good) 3D models whenever they start dropping phat beats to create spirit bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

More first impressions.

Hypnosis Mic: Even dumber than the PVs suggests, but fun in its own stupid way. The tracks were a mixed bag, but the animations accompanying them were consistently great, and the English subtitles were surprisingly decent.

Jujutsu Kaisen: Great first episode, a pleasant surprise considering I went in without expectations. Snappy pacing, likeable characters, and a healthy dose of comedy to counteract the horror bits. Will definitely keep watching.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

cave emperor posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen: Great first episode, a pleasant surprise considering I went in without expectations. Snappy pacing, likeable characters, and a healthy dose of comedy to counteract the horror bits. Will definitely keep watching.
Might check this out to find out why there's cgi panda in the op.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Forgall posted:

Might check this out to find out why there's cgi panda in the op.

A panda, might I add, voiced by DOMON KASSHU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
IDOLS

The idolocalypse of 2020 is upon us! These four, plus, finally resuming from spring after a covid-induced delay,

A fine time to be an idolater.

We'll be streaming these weekly as part of the idolw@tch, if anyone cares to join.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Sundays 1pm PDT/4pm EDT/8pm UTC, at https://cytu.be/r/super_idol_time! Pregame ~25 minutes before!

You can also follow the stream thread for updates!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also just a reminder that there's already an anime thread for Golden Kamui:

quote:

Golden Kamuy 3rd Season
Geno Studio | Hitoshi Nanba | Noboru Takagi | Action, Adventure, Comedy, Historical, Seinen | Manga | Oct 5, 2020
Third season of Golden Kamuy.
PV
Thread

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm a little surprised it hadn't fallen far enough back to get archived but I don't really know how that works lol

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

They switched archiving off two years ago*, everything will live forever

* actually they switched 'moving threads to the archive' off six years ago, but they were still auto-locking threads that were in the archive period until two years ago

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
IDOLS

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Seems like it would be terrible to increase fans if you set the audience on fire with idol powers

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BAH GAWD ITS KANE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Went from watching 5 shows last season to watching 5 shows on Saturday alone

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hoping Jujitsu Kaisen is going to be one of those action shonen with a fun female lead. I like the occult club girl, but I don't know if she'll stick around as a major character.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

Hoping Jujitsu Kaisen is going to be one of those action shonen with a fun female lead. I like the occult club girl, but I don't know if she'll stick around as a major character.

pay attention to the OP and watch for the girl with the hammer and nails, she's great

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Exia posted:

Seems like it would be terrible to increase fans if you set the audience on fire with idol powers
Maybe they sign waivers like they did for Dethklok concerts?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
listening to the Tonikaku op on repeat

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sad about no robots this season.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Exia posted:

The chance of murder is the selling point

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Even more first impressions.

Majo no Tabitabi: Great production and a likeable main character, but the first episode was just setup, not sure yet where it'll go from here.

Love Live: The main pair didn't do much for me, but some of the other characters seem good. Also lol at their school being Big Sight.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is the Inuyasha sequel at all worth watching if I've never watched or read any of Inuyasha?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first episode is just an adaptation of Inuyasha's epilogue chapter so get back to us when the story proper starts.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Watched the first episode of Jujitsu Kaisen and my impression so far is that its....aggressively ok? Characters, story, lore, animations, humor, battles....everything is definitely competent and I don't have any real complaints about any single part, but there is also nothing that really grabbed me and made me go "yes, I really need to continue watching this!" I will definitely give it a few more episodes, but so far, I'm pretty indifferent about it. :shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Talentless Nana has a very strong start and everyone should give it a shot.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The bishie Moriarty show started with a piece of reasonable deduction, so I guess I'm onboard for this trash.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is the Inuyasha sequel at all worth watching if I've never watched or read any of Inuyasha?

Like Waffleman said, the first episode is just an adaptation of the epilogue, but I wanted to add something here: the main issue with the original series, even in the manga, is that it starts to really drag on around the midpoint. It never sinks into really deep lows like Bleach or Naruto's final arc, but it is noticeable. Compared to the two series I just mentioned, Inuyasha was always a MOTW at heart, even after Naraku got introduced. I think that was the reason a lot people got sick of the original: after around 160 episodes, people just got tired of the group fighting the MOTW or Naraku.

For some reason, however, I couldn't stop reading it. I just really enjoyed seeing the main cast interacting with each other, and thought they had nice chemistry, which is where Takahashi usually excels in my mind. I'm not going to bring it up again, but looking back on Naruto, the main characters just aren't appealing to me, and either do dumb poo poo (like Naruto calling the man responsible for his parents death "the coolest guy"), or become insanely unlikable (Sasuke's general attitude of everyone having to die in Konoha after learning the truth about Itachi, rather than focus on those responisble like he had in the past)

With Yashahime, I don't think it'll be nearly as long as the original series, due to the fact that Inuyasha's popularity has died down over the years, and that Final Act was also only two cours, which will hopefully mean that it won't drag on like the original did. And even though we only saw them for a few minutes, I already like the main trio of the sequel.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 4, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I feel like Inuyasha dragged on far worse in TV form than it did as a manga. You completely hit the nail on the head about the small character growth sprinkled in, even when they were fighting obscure yokai #263 there was still something pushing the main story threads forward one way or another. Inuyasha in the modern world should have been an entire series onto itself imo and I definitely think that Yashahime is going to be well served by being either 1 cour or split into cours with breaks.

Tangentially, I really feel like we may have seen the end of filler arcs in anime. If MHA isn't getting a continuously running series, I really don't know what series would or could given how well it and other jump series are doing with time between seasons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

Talentless Nana has a very strong start and everyone should give it a shot.

I will recommend it. I have read some of the first few chapters as well.

Big Spoilers unless you have watched the episode.
It's kind of Death Note like with the protagonist and such.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Robviously posted:

Tangentially, I really feel like we may have seen the end of filler arcs in anime. If MHA isn't getting a continuously running series, I really don't know what series would or could given how well it and other jump series are doing with time between seasons.
MHA's had filler arcs, though.

Really though the function of them has changed. Rather than padding out runtime for more material to cover, thy usually exist to help stretch the material they have into a better narrative structure for one or two cours. Like if the material they have is two serious fighting arcs, and they have two cours, a small lowkey filler arc in the middle could give the material some breathing room and make it feel more like a three act structure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also one piece is like, still airing. ofc with how long oda's arcs are anymore they get to fit in one filler arc every five years or so.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

That's my mistake then. Watching MHA, I didn't realize that they added stuff to it. I also just have the idea that a filler arc is at least a cour and usually multiple since it's usually the continuous shows that need to pad it out ala One Piece or Dragon Ball.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the best Gintama episodes are at least partially "filler".

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hypnosis Mic is kinda amazing everyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Robviously posted:

That's my mistake then. Watching MHA, I didn't realize that they added stuff to it. I also just have the idea that a filler arc is at least a cour and usually multiple since it's usually the continuous shows that need to pad it out ala One Piece or Dragon Ball.

the fact is most any tv anime adaptation of anything that wasnt originally a tv anime is gonna have 'filler' to some extent, even if its just scenes or moments. railgun has tons of material to adapt but its first two seasons still end on like 7-8 episodes of original material.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They dropped so many f-bombs in the first ep of Hypmic and I think they only went ham because there are tons of f-bombs in the official rap lyrics too.

This was in the OP:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Strange Quark posted:

They dropped so many f-bombs in the first ep of Hypmic and I think they only went ham because there are tons of f-bombs in the official rap lyrics too.

This was in the OP:

Once you go for the TV-MA rating, you better fucken justify it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
greetings

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

MHA's had filler arcs, though.

It's had filler episodes, not filler arcs. There's been 2.5 recap episodes and 2 anime-original episodes and then some ova's.

Entire filler arcs are probably extinct for adaptions going forward because just adapting the series into seasons makes so much more sense.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Uuh. So, watching the new Love Live, it struck me that there's literally not a single male character anywhere in sight, even as bland background mobs on the bus or in the mall. When did their society decide to purge all men?

I went back to the first series, and they still had random dudes walking the streets back then, so some kind of apocalyptic event must have occurred between shows.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

darkgray posted:

Uuh. So, watching the new Love Live, it struck me that there's literally not a single male character anywhere in sight, even as bland background mobs on the bus or in the mall. When did their society decide to purge all men?

I went back to the first series, and they still had random dudes walking the streets back then, so some kind of apocalyptic event must have occurred between shows.

I thought they started doing that back in Sunshine - to the point of editing dudes' bathrooms out of backgrounds based on reference photos lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

This was in the OP:

F bomb lol... is this a christian forum