Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Charlotte's ending was the ridiculous and fun kind of stupid, IMO, which applied to a lot of the rest of Charlotte as well. Kamisama was just bad and boring in its best moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked some of the things about Charlottes ending, I liked you could combine the powers to remove some of their suck and some other things.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think I've bounced off every single Jun Maeda show I've ever seen. I watched Charlotte through, and can't recommend it at all.

Anyway I'm going to miss Sus Sundays/Mind Game Mondays, now that Nana and Moriarty are finished. Those I whole-heartedly enjoyed and recommend.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh yeah i still want to check out moriarty and gymnastics samurai since those seem to have the most positive post-season buzz of the things i skipped

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didnt keep up with anything this season but i did just start watching akudama drive and this is good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dragon Quest: Dai's Big Adventure remains a solid, charming fantasy yarn that's surprisingly visually impressive for what looks to be a long-running Toei series. Worth a look if you like simple, well-made fun.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
AOTY 2020 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952929

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

remember when kino found those three guys on the rail wasting their lives and actively undoing each other's work and did nothing

remember when kino was gonna let the slavers go until they want to murder and enslave kino, specifically

that said wandering witch seems to have made the dual weird call of 'making the situations way more over the top sad/hosed up' and 'removing every scene where elaina has any introspection'

Remember when Kino met three guys with steady paying jobs doing what they enjoy?

Remember when Kino met a truckful of guys in the middle of a harsh winter and shared shelter with them to ride it out before getting on her way and not pushing her luck against a numerically-superior threat until she had no other choice?

You're brushing over a lot of critical details there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The worst thing about Wandering Witch's anime is that every discussion about the Wandering Witch anime becomes intensely repetitive and tedious.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wandering Witch would be massively improved if she ended each episode with a bad fourth wall breaking pun and a Crypt Keeper cackle.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
having only seen two eps with elaina's show i think a critical difference between her and kino is that the former is a magical being who can change someone's life on a whim whereas for Kino neutrality is synonymous with survival and this is something the show makes very clear before she goes to bed every night.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

The worst thing about Wandering Witch's anime is that every discussion about the Wandering Witch anime becomes intensely repetitive and tedious.
so what you're saying is not getting involved really is the right answer?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

so what you're saying is not getting involved really is the right answer?

No, I'm saying they should've made a better show so that getting involved would lead to fun, enlightening, or at least interesting experiences

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

look son that was called a setup, it was, a layup, thats what it was, ball goes up in the air and you hit the ball, i say, i say, son you're killing me here son, you gotta work with me here, i say thats show business son

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just finished Iwakakeru, and though I'm not really a sports anime watcher I enjoyed it. Not quite up with Hanebado and Harukana Receive, due to some pacing issues and I think it could've used one more episode. It wasn't a visual spectacle like they were either, but still did well enough and they remembered to show muscles which is good to see. You're also given enough of the other schools' characters to have some investment in them as well. Not a show I'd say to go far out of your way for, but fun nonetheless.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I never realized that Suwabe's english was so loving good. I couldn't even tell it was him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Went back and finished Talentless Nana and Akudama Drive tonight and both endings made me sad, one in a good way and one in a bad way.

I suspected Akudama would head in the direction it did and Id be a liar if I didnt admit it worried me since its always a hard plot line to pull off properly but they did it spectacularly. Nana on the other hand felt like I was robbed of a proper ending and instead handed a "...to be continued" instead. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nana is an (ongoing?) manga adaptation so that was inevitable.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Hypmic was silly, absurd and unintentionally hilarious at the end when they had a dude named Tom Whisper Weathercock rap in full Engrish sentences.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Raenir Salazar posted:

I never realized that Suwabe's english was so loving good. I couldn't even tell it was him.

Are you watching Great Pretender? I think both Laurent and Cynthia had separate actors doing their English lines

edit: typo

macabresca fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 29, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was their dub actors.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Archer666 posted:

Hypmic was silly, absurd and unintentionally hilarious at the end when they had a dude named Tom Whisper Weathercock rap in full Engrish sentences.

I don’t think it’s unintentional my man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the show about magical rap battles where a man holds a woman hostage by threatening to drop a diss track, might be aware its a little silly

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
At this point I've experienced so much of Japanese culture and their use of English to sound "cool", I can't tell the difference anymore with whats intentionally silly and whats not.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

At this point I've experienced so much of Japanese culture and their use of English to sound "cool", I can't tell the difference anymore with whats intentionally silly and whats not.
When in doubt, always heed Shingo's advice and stay/play it cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TnUCP4ybA&t=28s

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Archer666 posted:

uh what

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Archer666 posted:

Hint: It isn't silly because the rapping is in English.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

Hint: It isn't silly because the rapping is in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIiiGBFRPKA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That is legitimately a thing. They also use German words a lot for the same reason.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is legitimately a thing. They also use German words a lot for the same reason.

thank you for this information I was totally unaware of :|

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the japanese are human beings with senses of humor, irony, and comedic exaggeration, op

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/zombielandsaga/status/1344659599941660673

Zombie Land Saga Revenge starts airing in April 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

the japanese are human beings with senses of humor, irony, and comedic exaggeration, op

But I always thought Japanese people were all serious with familial and social duties being the sole motivator in life!

Also, that Japanese is a flat language!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Zombie Land SagaRising Revengeance starts airing in April 2021
FTFY

SO loving PUMPED!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really should try that again, but the Producer just made me not want to watch it at all.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Endorph posted:

"Cause I'm never gonna stop streak my dream" is still bizarre hth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Cause I'm never gonna stop streak my dream" is still bizarre hth.

its intentionally bizarre.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Zombie Land Saga Revenge starts airing in April 2021

That show had the most powerful first 4 episodes ever and sometimes I think that is why I fell off it so quickly after. That insanity just wasnt maintainable the whole way through. :(

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Furnaceface posted:

That show had the most powerful first 4 episodes ever and sometimes I think that is why I fell off it so quickly after. That insanity just wasnt maintainable the whole way through. :(

The entire show was good, in my opinion. I enjoyed both the comedy and the drama, and felt that they did a good job to balance the two, so it's not jarring. I think it's one of my problems with an anime like Gintama, because one moment, the show will be goofy and fourth wall breaking as gently caress, and the next moment it's almost completely serious.

I'm surprised that you fell off after the fourth episode, when the next one is the episode people liked the most

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked zombieland the whole way through but then, i just went into it expecting a pretty funny idol anime and got that. there were def. some people selling it as the greatest comedy ever or like, somehow not an idol anime (even though it has the exact same beats, tone, and story structure as any other idol anime, just slightly goofier)