Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ve been very surprised at the negative reaction Wandering Witch gets from some people because I loved it, and Elaina herself would probably rank up there with one of my favorite characters of the year. She just has such a fun gives-no-fucks attitude. Haven’t read the novels so I can’t say what she’s like there, but they’d have to be amazing to outdo some of the moments from this week’s Into the Elainaverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Part of my beef with the show is that it doesn't quite know what to do with Elaina. We know she's motivated to travel because of all the stories in the Niké book she grew up with. And we know that as a prodigy, she had things pretty good and grew up in a kind of bubble.

The first episode shows us how she was ostracized, and Fran goes to great lengths to teach her patience and humility to make a point. But Elaina herself doesn't really grow from then on. And it's frustrating to see her rise to righteous fury when someone cuts her hair but just kind of peace out and wander away when a zombified plague-carrier is wandering around outside of a town.

I think the point of this kind of show is that, while there is some continuity between episodes/chapters, they’re mostly meant to be taken as independent short stories rather than one continuous narrative. So things like growth for the main character are less important than they would be otherwise; it matters more that they be well-defined from the beginning.

And Elaina is well-defined as a character, imo. Even though the finale has a joke about how she seems bland next to her alternate selves who all have obvious quirks. She’s whimsical and curious but she’s also confident and self-assured in a way that’s rare for an anime protagonist. Her motivation is simply to travel around and see as much of the world as possible, and she usually dislikes getting caught up in other people's problems but if someone messes with her first she'll ensure they regret it.

It's understandable why people would be disappointed if they don’t like anthologies and went into this expecting something more like a classic Hero’s Journey adventure, but that’s just not what it's going for.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Grouchio posted:

How many of you guys liked the first season of Slime Isekai? (notwithstanding the rushed last school arc?)

The show had a premise that could have been interesting; building a nation out of a bunch of monsters and outcasts, but it undermined itself with its lack of conflict. The main character could beat any challenge with zero effort, be it winning a fight or befriending someone or managing a city, so the whole thing just felt pointless. And then the last arc ditched most of the established characters so Rimuru could go and hang out with and be adored by a completely different group, which dissapointed me since I actually kinda liked some of them.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2020

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

The Day I Became a God - seriously dude, just write a comedy for gods sake. everyone who thought clannad after story was good is like 30 now and not going to fall for it again.

Few anime endings have ever pissed me the hell off quite like that of Charlotte, so I was watching this with dread the whole way through and the most generous thing I can say about it is that it wasn’t quite that bad. It was still complete bullshit, though. Once again the villains waltz away scot free while the main characters are left to pick up the pieces.

And it doesn’t even bother acknowledging just how awful the situation really is. A sinister cabal who is perfectly willing to abduct and lobotomize children to get what they want now has access to a future-predicting supercomputer, but it’s all okay because Hina sort of remembers bits and pieces of her old life?

How about you throw those last few episodes in the garbage and instead have Yota prevent Hina from being abducted, then actually use the computer’s powers to beat the cabal somehow? Yeah, maybe it’s a stretch to say they could do that but we’ve already established that the computer is basically magical at this point. Couldn't have been worse than spending two episodes watching Yota be obnoxious and inconsiderate around a mentally ill person.