Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

MHA's had filler arcs, though.

It's had filler episodes, not filler arcs. There's been 2.5 recap episodes and 2 anime-original episodes and then some ova's.

Entire filler arcs are probably extinct for adaptions going forward because just adapting the series into seasons makes so much more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Malsangoroth posted:

Well, I think I'm gonna give up on Moriarty. Not because of the gravity of the crimes -- that's A-OK -- but because it is just so lazily written. The fact that a noble might come to look upon high society with contempt and betray his family in the name of destroying it should have been an interesting premise, but what makes this particular noble think differently from all the rest? What life experiences shaped him to the point where not only would he reject a society that places him on a pedestal, but he would go as far as murdering his own family to do it? Without even shedding a tear? The anime doesn't even attempt to deliver any answers to these questions. So far, the show just assumes that he has the same perspective as a person raised in a 21st century 'enlightened' world where nobility is seen as a foolish relic of the past, despite him being raised in a setting where it isn't. And every single character's dialogue is so shallow and two-dimension that they may as well be screaming "This is my role in the story! That you are watching! On your computer!" The characters have all the depth and nuance of that "Haha they're poor!" British royalty meme. I might check out the manga because it sounds like the scenes had more weight and that maybe this was just a neutered adaptation. Maybe. When I feel like it.

Well we do see that at the time there's a fad of the rich performing charity to make themselves look enlightened so it could be he started his charity work at the school for the reason and then was radicalised as he witnessed the sheer disparity between his life and the lower classes. Also his brother being a complete psychopath probably helped to really underline the point.

But I mean, if thats the issue that breaks your immersion into "Moriarty as a pretty blonde anime Dexter" that's fair enough. I kind of got the impression the whole set up is just a way to justify them making his hot younger brother act like his Butler, which obviously would make zero sense if they were really upper class.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 31, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

She is also still a teenager, so expecting her to start murdering people and become a fugitive for the rest of her life is a bit of an ask imo. It's kind of expected in a protagonist but I'm not going to get outraged over her not stepping in in the instances I've seen.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 12, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I've only seen up to ep4, but the fact that they don't age her character model is a little offsetting. She qualifies as a temp at 14, trains for a year, and by the time ep4 rolls around, she hadn't seen her mentor in what...5-6 years? So, she's like 20 now but looks exactly the same. :psyduck:

And in anime time, 20-year olds are practically oji/oba-sans.

The wiki has her at age 18. In most anime terms that should be old enough to have overthrown 2 evil empires already, but this clearly isn't that kind of anime. I'm mainly thinking of episode 2 where she clearly does consider doing something drastic to free the slave but decides not to. Which considering her age and circumstances is reasonable imo. There wasn't really anything she could do about ep 4 either.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How many of you guys liked the first season of Slime Isekai? (notwithstanding the rushed last school arc?)

The first half was really good but it takes a pretty steep drop in quality after the big boss fight. I lost engagement and dropped it with 4 episodes left because I just didn't care enough to finish it.