Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

--poo poo I'm Gonna Try--

Ochikobore Fruit Tart - Frankly the trailer and the chapter or two of the manga that got scanlated don't super excite me, but I really enjoyed Hanayamata and some of the mangaka's doujin work so hey, worth a look.

:siren: Sleepy Princess :siren: - It's DogaKobo doing that cute poo poo they do, of course I'm interested.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear - Isekai inside the New Game game...?

Assault Lily Bouquet - Will definitely be stupid, will hopefully be fun

:siren: Adachi And Shimamura :siren: - I'm a huge fan of the novels and I think the anime nailed the casting, so I can't not watch this. Little nervous about how they deal with the novels' very slow pace, tho, and it's a shame that they're probably not going to get to adapt any of my favorite content in the back half of the series.

:siren: Wandering Witch :siren: - Another LN series I've thoroughly enjoyed, and I'm pretty excited about this adaptation, too. Great character designs and background art, and the staff and studio have quietly put together a very strong resume on stuff like Harukana Receive, Hitoribocchi, etc, that really shows through in the PVs.

Yashahime - I watched a bit of Inuyasha back in the adult swim days and that, combined with the great character designs on the new girls, piqued my interest enough to give this a try.

Senyoku no Sigrdrifa - might regret this one but the concept and character designs made me a little curious at least

Iwa Kakeru! - Cute Girls Doing Sports Things, with Muscles!

D4DJ - Bushiroad show about DJs makes me at least a little curious about the possibility of a show that's basically Bang Dream if you replaced every character with Chu2.

After something of an (understandably) underwhelming year of anime, I'm actually pretty excited about this season. I don't know that I expect anything to make a serious push on my all-time favorites list (though Wandering Witch or maybe AdaShima could sneak on there if everything breaks just right) but this is still the most shows I've had pique my interest in a single season in quite a bit.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The first episode of Assault Lily Bouquet was exactly what I'd expect from a show named Assault Lily Bouquet - which is to say that it seems pretty dumb but also pretty entertaining.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Very happy with Wandering Witch's first episode. Great character artwork, great VA, more ambitious animation than I expected, really gets the novels' charm across. Expect that to be an AOTS contender.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

darkgray posted:

Uuh. So, watching the new Love Live, it struck me that there's literally not a single male character anywhere in sight, even as bland background mobs on the bus or in the mall. When did their society decide to purge all men?

I went back to the first series, and they still had random dudes walking the streets back then, so some kind of apocalyptic event must have occurred between shows.

I thought they started doing that back in Sunshine - to the point of editing dudes' bathrooms out of backgrounds based on reference photos lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Sleepy Princess anime has begun and it's basically the manga. I should probably reread the first few chapters to see if there's any changes, but from my recollection it starts off pretty sleep solution/demon of the week and honestly feels a little dull until they get into proper arcs and character exploration.

Yeah I gave it a watch and while Inori Minase's always fun to listen to and it's very easy on the eyes in that usual DogaKobo way, I feel like it doesn't have enough character to really hold my attention. Maybe in a season with less going on.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I was fairly worried about how the adaptation would approach something very slow-paced like Adachi And Shimamura, but some inconsistent character models aside I was pleasantly surprised by their approach. Pretty happy with that first episode.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 8, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/colonvee/status/1314598578279649284

Nitrousoxide posted:

The second episode of Wandering Witch would have made a much better first I think.

It was actually the first story in the novels, lol. Though I can see what they were going for putting the origin story first.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Non Non Biyori Season 3, coming soon!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Assault Lily Bouquet is a very stupid show and I like it

Wandering Witch remains my easy favorite of the season after 2 weeks, though Adachi And Shimamura might have a better shot at unseating it than I thought before it came out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I've read that manga. It's alright IMO. The tone is a little bit like if Maidragon was less insightful but also less uncomfortably fond of shotacon/lolicon. Big focus on found family fantasy sitcom stuff. Plus they got Aoi Yuuki for the MC IIRC, which should be fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like Towa as a protagonist.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Adachi And Shimamura's getting a better adaptation that I was afraid it might. Akari Kito and Miku Ito are both a real delight to listen to.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AdaShima's kind of in an interesting place where it's not nearly as interested in character drama and associated relationship messiness as something like, ie, Bloom Into You, but it's got too much anxiety and navel-gazing to really call it an Iyashikei piece either. It's really a story about just kind of following along with Adachi and Shimamura's own internal monologues as they kind of meander through their uneventful daily lives and their feelings for each other. I really like it and think the character's voices are more than charming and well-defined enough to make all that meandering enjoyable, but I can see how it's not gonna hit for everybody.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I didn't think it was especially well adapted, tbh, despite really enjoying the first two eps. The first story replaced a much more ambiguous stinger with a zombie apocalypse that doesn't even make that much sense in relation to the rest of the scenario, and the second cut out a lot of Elaina's inner monologue from the book and made her seem much more indifferent to the slave's plight. Makes me worry a bit about later material.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

re elaina;

man did Nino kill herself after that? That's dark. :smith:

the character in the story Elaina was thinking of as a comparison did. We never find out about Nino herself-at least not in either of the novels that have been TL'd so far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

After sitting on it for a day, I think what might irritate me the most might actually be the stinger of the first part of that majotabi episode. The stinger presents it like there's a zombie apocalypse bearing down on hapless civilization when the novels just have Elaina see one person in the distance carrying a bouquet that may or may not be of the cursed flowers and ending on an ambiguous, unsettled note. The whole Plant Zombie Apocalypse doesn't even make much sense in context with the rest of what we're told about the cursed field - it's not trying to expand or conquer the world or poo poo, it's basically a big evil pitcher plant trap trying to lure in food to immobilize and consume. Dramatically changes the feel of the story from the novel.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 17, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Where are people watching Sleepy Princess? Is it up on any legit sites right now or no?

Funimation according to Senpai.moe

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

Journey of Elaina continues to be a thought provoking series, but the thought it provokes is just 'yo what the gently caress'.

I like the novels I've read a lot and really enjoyed the first couple eps but I'm actively pretty down on the show at this point, it's consistently making increasingly strange adaptation decisions that make various characters come off worse than I feel like they should and today's ep in particular feels like it had the stuff I thought was interesting about the novel's version of events almost entirely removed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watched the latest Wandering Witch and I don't think it was as bad as last week's. When you're dealing with a very powerful witch with mental trauma issues in a dead country, sometimes the best option is to just get the gently caress out of there ASAP for your own sake.

Having read the novel, the thing that bummed me out was really that they removed 1.) a bit more material clearly establishing that Elaina actually really hits it off with Mirarose before the fight, to the point where I'm almost not sure if she's meant to have a bit of a crush on her and 2.) Mirarose is much more lucid and menacing after killing Javalier, in a way that Elaina (who, again, had grown much fonder of her than the anime really made apparent) clearly finds deeply unsettling and more than a little painful. Instead of losing touch and reality and talking to her dead spouse while Elaina just watches in the background, the novel's version of events ends with Mirarose "teasingly" offering to join Elaina on her journey, to which Elaina responds only with "please stop." It all serves to give the story some much more personal and specific teeth than just another "gee, sucks to be THAT country" one-off and I don't feel like the anime really got it across at all.

It's weird because it's really nicely produced and still directed and storyboarded well-enough in the moment, but the overall adaptation decisions have been mediocre to bad basically from the beginning IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakura Adachi, obviously

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

cave emperor posted:

Also a weird scene with a sketchy guy perving on little kids at the pool which felt really out of place.

That's apparently a cameo from one of Hitoma's other books, fwiw.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have a weird time talking about Elaina because I like the books enough that I want to come to the rescue when I hear people bashing the show, but the show itself is genuinely weird and bad enough as an adaptation to not really be worth much effort defending. But it's also the main way most people I know are engaging with a thing I like. :negative:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Very powerful snort by the voice actress IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FWIW that was my least favorite story in the 3 translated novels so it was never really destined to go great in adaptation IMO, though the anime doubled down on the gore in a way that was pretty deeply lame. That said the anime's been so consistently terrible at what stories to include/how to frame them/how to manage the tone that I didn't really expect it to do much better here.

If anyone cares about novel differences, the main one I can point out is that the novel makes clear the Estelle survives her experience, but burned her memories of it in order to power the magic she used to kill Serena. I thought when I read it that the moral was a pretty straightforward "you can't go back and change bad experiences you've been through, you have to accept that damage and move on" sort of thing undercut by the somewhat fundamental goofiness of the Child Serial Stabber angle, and then undercut further by the obvious glee the anime takes in rendering all the most gruesome details.

Oh and also the anime has a line that's subtitled as Serena saying that her dad sexually abused her. The official translation of the story just says that he "bullied" her and doesn't really have any other lines suggesting anything sexual going on. I'm reasonably sure, then, that that line was either yet another stupid change on the anime's part or a mistranslation by the anime subtitles, though I'm open to the possibility that it's the LN translation that got it wrong.

Anyway the whole anime experience has been a pretty frustrating thing for me, because I really enjoyed - and still enjoy - the books, but the way the anime has rolled out has half the people who know about the franchise seemingly convinced that it's the product of a diseased mind.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

The anime skipping a bunch of lighthearted and/or heartwarming stories is still a problem though since it makes the adaptation feel lopsided in tone. Like comedy lighthearted antics like Elaina visits cat country where everyone loves cats and will imprison you for not loving cats, zombie theme park country where country advertises itself as a zombieland and then accidentally unleashes a real zombie apocalypse, and then candy country where Elaina just straights up grifts them because it turns out their merch is overpriced.

They skipped my favorite story in V2 - involving Elaina helping to rehabilitate a demi-human goat girl suffering from severe PTSD and delusions in the wake of racist violence - that I think would have done particularly well to soften a lot of anime-only watchers' opinions of Elaina, too. Though with how bad this anime's been at managing its tone I suppose I can't assume they wouldn't have simply botched that, too.

It's weird, because it's very well produced in a lot of the technical respects and even hits the tone it seems to want to hit more often than not, but its baseline decisions of what tone it even wants and what stories are worth adapting and how are just a wild mess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, even if we accept the premise that none of the original stories "say anything insightful", I don't see how the adaptation making the basic process of engaging with them more abrasive and less entertaining is all that worth celebrating IMO

tl;dr i think its better when anime is good than when its bad

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also cases like episode 4 where I thought it had one of the most interesting ideas of any of the novel's stories so far but then the anime just, entirely omitted the scenes that actually voiced any of those ideas at all

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And, I mean, I don't want to overhype the original LN as some flawless masterpiece or anything, I didn't really like Retroactive Grief in novel form and there's a few other stories I wasn't high on, some adapted, some not, but I at least thought the novel was more hit than miss, meanwhile the anime just feels like it's made basically every story worse across the board whether I liked the original version or not.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Are there any recent LN adaptations that improve the source material aside from KyoAni?

I haven't read the Bofuri novel but I could see its anime being an improvement simply by having good action scenes - even well written novels tend to struggle with action, in my experience.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, here's an obvious one: I could make a reasonable argument that Adachi And Shimamura's anime improves on the novels. It doesn't make any real narrative changes and it's not even a super-lavish production, but the storyboards are just good enough to get the key ideas across IMO and the casting is basically perfect. Yashiro in particular is a character that benefits greatly from being able to see and hear her in all her casual absurdity IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The funny thing is that story wasn't even terribly graphic in the book. It's the same basic sequence of events but as far as the actual violence goes the descriptions are fairly bland wrt the violence, mostly asserting that there was a lot of blood and that Serena made lots of scary noises but not lingering nearly as hard on each individual lovingly rendered chunk of gristle as the anime decided to. Even acknowledging that story as easily my least favorite of the stuff TL'd so far, the novel's version was more just goofy than grotesque. IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Near as I can tell he's been pretty positive on twitter, fwiw - although there's the obvious caveats that 1.) I'm relying on Bing! Translate and 2.) I assume that authors in this position are, while probably not *required*, probably discouraged from openly poo poo-talking tie-in projects like anime and such.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

it would be one thing for the author to complain if the anime flopped due to the bad adaptation decisions, but that doesn't seem to have happened with this one

Well, I've made my feelings clear on bad adaptation decisions, lol, but the flop sure hasn't seemed to happen. From AniTrendz and just general buzz I've seen around the show most folks seem to fuckin' love the show, ill-advised serial killer episode and all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Original K-On College anime that's actually interesting and gay when cowards

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

They still haven't released much besides the staff and a vague PV, lol. The staff is interesting enough that I'll probably give it a look but it's kinda weird how gunshy they're being on what the show's actually *about*.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gleefully strange little project

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

Winter 2021 is just around the corner, and with that, it's time for a new seasonal thread.

As usual, please feel free to give thread title suggestions. Here's the stacked lineup for next season:

https://anichart.net/Winter-2021

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

Winter Season 2021: Yuruside Picnic

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

On the bright side the fact that weird stuff can get greenlit in anime also means that we periodically get poo poo like Throwback Gay Vampire Rom-Com From The Creator Of Ghost In The Shell, so it's not *all* bad.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I should probably get back to that show at some point..................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

We're also getting Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time in January.

Winter Anime 2021: You Can (Not) Watch All The Anime

Well, Japan's getting Eva anyway. Movie releases being what they are who knows when any of us dirty foreigners will get to lay eyes on anything more than a dubiously translated synopsis on twitter.