Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wasn't Tower of God kinda haphazard and mediocre as a webtoon too?

I wouldn't say "mediocre," but it's one of those series where it's hard to say what's a writing flaw and what's a brilliant idea. The aspect that's most clearly a flaw is that a lot of the fight scenes heavily involve big generic energy blasts. It has some great atmosphere at times, but a lot of the plot/setting/characterization is rather vague, convoluted, or both. But of course a lot of that atmosphere comes precisely from the vagueness and convolutedness. "I want to see the stars because I'm afraid of the night" is a memorable line in part because of its multiple possible meanings in context, none of which feel wholly adequate to explain the actions of the character who utters it. There's a lot of Hunter x Hunter style high-stakes game-like scenarios with fairly complex rule sets, and it's hard to say how much this creates interesting situations to think through the tactical implications of vs. how much it's a satire of the gamified and hyper-competitive late-capitalist world vs. how much it's just false complexity to distract from the blandness of the energy blasts.

So, I don't know how to feel about it, and "haphazard" may not be wrong, but it's probably not "mediocre." :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU