Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Man, there's a lot of stuff this time that I'm at least somewhat interested in, definitely going to need to trim this list down after the first couple of episodes.

First of all, sequels, in order from "hell yeah" to "I guess": Haikyuu, Golden Kamuy, Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?, DanMachi.

I'm half counting the new Love Live as a sequel, since I fully know what to expect, and I fully expect to enjoy what I'll get.

Akudama Drive and Ikebukuro West Gate Park both look like stylish crime series, might be a lot of fun.

Never watched Inuyasha, don't really know what it's about, still going to check out Hanyou no Yashahime based on the art style alone.

The PVs for Higurashi and Jujutsu Kaisen didn't really grab me, but a lot of people here seem hype, so I'll give them a try at least.

Hypnosis Mic has an extremely dumb concept, but the music in the PV was surprisingly good.

Majo no Tabitabi looks amazing, and Adachi to Shimamura looks very cute and very gay.

Ochikobore Fruit Tart for some straightforwards slice-of-life comedy.

Dark horse pick goes to the Cute Girls Doing Standup anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Some first impressions:

Higurashi: Speaking as someone with no prior knowledge of this series, this wasn't very good. I don't like the character designs, the animation often felt stiff, and the plot hasn't grabbed me yet. Still going to keep watching it for now to see where it goes.

Assault Lily: Slick production but nothing to set it apart from the dozens of similar shows, hard to get excited about something this derivative.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

More first impressions.

Hypnosis Mic: Even dumber than the PVs suggests, but fun in its own stupid way. The tracks were a mixed bag, but the animations accompanying them were consistently great, and the English subtitles were surprisingly decent.

Jujutsu Kaisen: Great first episode, a pleasant surprise considering I went in without expectations. Snappy pacing, likeable characters, and a healthy dose of comedy to counteract the horror bits. Will definitely keep watching.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Even more first impressions.

Majo no Tabitabi: Great production and a likeable main character, but the first episode was just setup, not sure yet where it'll go from here.

Love Live: The main pair didn't do much for me, but some of the other characters seem good. Also lol at their school being Big Sight.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Yashahime's first episode was a lot to take in for someone who doesn't know the first thing about Inuyasha. Lots of proper names to remember, lots of interpersonal dynamics to infer, lots of plot points to guess at. It looks like the next episode is going to focus more on the new characters, if not I might just have to bite the bullet and read an Inuyasha plot summary or something.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Akudama Drive's first episode ruled, my favorite premiere of the season by a mile. Stylish over-the-top violence, great direction and music, and a fun cast of characters.

Ikebukuro West Park, on the other, was a disappointingly drab affair, with a bog standard "gang members with hearts of gold" setup and uninspired direction.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I'm watching way too many shows, time to drop some.

Assault Lily: As generic as the premise made it sound, not sure why I watched this in the first place.

Gochuumon S3: I remember kind of liking the first two seasons, but this one is doing nothing for me.

Yashahime: I love the throwback art style and character designs, but the writing just isn't that good, and the dense Inuyasha lore makes it hard to follow.

Hypnosis Mic: The rap bits are surprisingly decent, the problem is that every sixty-second rap scene is sandwiched by ten minutes of mediocre bishie show.

Ikebukuro West Gate Park: Bland and predictable. Feels really dated too, which makes sense considering it's based on a 20+ year old series of novels.

Maesetsu: Not the least funny comedy I've watched this year, but definitely expected more laughs per minute from a comedy about comedy.

On the fence:

Ochikobore Fruit Tart: Cute and inoffensive, but just not that funny.

Kamisama ni Natta Hi: Surprisingly fun first episode, but not sure if it can sustain this kind of high paced comedy while also dealing with the end-of-the-world plot.

Higurashi: The art and animation suck, the crappy VN music during some scenes is annoying, and the time loop (?) plot does not inspire confidence. Will keep watching for now to see where it'll go, but expectations are low.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Lemon-Lime posted:

For anyone watching Adachi and Shimamura, how far along is the anime after four episodes? I don't really want to rewatch stuff I already read twice in the manga adaptations. :v:

Episode 4: Shimamura meets Adachi's mom at the pool, Shimamura + Adachi + Shimamura's two friends go to karaoke, Shimamura gives Adachi headpats on the swing set

Also a weird scene with a sketchy guy perving on little kids at the pool which felt really out of place.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Willo567 posted:

I have a feeling that a lot of shows are about to be put on hiatus again for a few months. The cases are climbing in Japan again

I feel like by now most studios should have figured out how to make anime remotely, or at least with proper safety measures, and that the delays in the spring season were mostly due to companies scrambling to switch to a new working style on short notice. The current season is as packed as any good season in the before times, and it's not like COVID ever went away in Japan.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Willo567 posted:

At least for now the number of cases isn't seriously as high as we're seeing in places like France, the U.K and especially the U.S.. I just wish that Japan was handling it more professionally like South Korea is

From what I remember the Japanese government isn't really able or willing to legally enforce things like quarantining and social distancing due to some clause in their constitution. Asking people and business to please cooperate (and/or trying to shame them into cooperating when that doesn't work) does go a long way in Japan, but without the threat of fines it's hard to keep even a relatively obedient population in check after nine months.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Public support for gay marriage in Japan is polling at around 80% if you exclude people over 60, so it definitely seems like something that will happen in the future. On the other hand, the LDP sucks rear end and is going to be in power forever, so who knows when it'll happen.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

SatoshiMiwa posted:

D4Dj has some amazing 3D faces and Toei Precure 3D work has always been good but given this is by the Berserk studio being wary is probably a good thing

How is D4Dj anyway? It was on my "maybe" list at the start of the season, but it completely slipped my mind until now.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Echoing the love for Akudama Drive's finale, what a great show start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Shows I kept up with this season, in approximate order of how much I enjoyed them:

Akudama Drive: Would have been my AOTY if Eizouken hadn't happened. Great plot that never runs out of steam, setting that makes up for what it lacks in originality with sheer style, and a cast of characters that, while not exactly likeable, still all managed to have a solid arc with a satisfying resolution.

Haikyuu!!: Has its concept down to a science at this point, with another rock-solid season solidifying its position as one of the most consistently enjoyable and exciting sports shows ever.

Golden Kamuy S3: Felt somewhat aimless at times, but the golden triangle of shonen treasure hunt + neat Ainu facts + dick jokes was as strong as ever. Looking forward to the next season.

Talentless Nana: Interesting concept and solid execution. Strong pacing with almost every episode ending on a cliffhanger, and surprisingly funny considering the plot. Shame about that ending though.

Jujutsu Kaisen: Not particularly original, and the pacing is kind of all over the place, but a confident, energetic execution and a likeable cast of characters are enough to keep me watching.

Love Live! Nijigasaki: Somewhat fresh take on the LL concept. Cast of characters doesn't feel as memorable as OG LL or Sunshine yet, maybe a second season can help flesh them out a bit.

Adachi & Shimamura: Kind of lost me in the second half, Adachi turning into a needy lovestruck mess ruined the enjoyable character dynamics of the first few episodes. Still cute though.

Still watching:

Kami-sama ni Natta Hi: Keep putting off watching the finale, because I know I will hate it and I know I'll probably cry. Didn't know who Jun Maede was before this, will probably avoid his work from now.

Attack on Titan: Ambitious start to the final season, if nothing else. I keep losing track of the plot, and the whole Eldian thing is problematic for obvious reasons, but I can't say I'm not intrigued.

D4DJ: Fun idol-adjecent show that scratches the same itch as Bang Dream.

Might still check out Sleepy Princess.