Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'll be watching sleepy princess and gochiusa s3

i'm interested in a bunch of other things too but i'm trying to wean myself back into a watches-everything-after-the-season person and i've gotta start somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cave emperor posted:

Dark horse pick goes to the Cute Girls Doing Standup anime.

this is by the lucky star mangaka, its weird seeing those character designs again in 2020 even if they've softened them up a bit

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/RanobeSugoi/status/1311652496654229504

a big thank you to the crowd for funding more of this show again

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that director's also directing new higurashi and the ongoing shadowverse anime so he's triple booked this season, maybe a red flag

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

is it me or is there a weird amount of unlicensed stuff this season? specifically Moriarty and the mappa athletes thing

then again maybe it's just unannounced?

usually there's a handful of shows that get scooped up by crunchy or funi at the last minute. very rare for something thats not a kids show or a short to get passed over completely these days

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Is it common for 26 episodes to be split up into two separate 13 episode seasons if they aren't an adaptation of a manga?

it's fairly common these days for production reasons, having a 3 or 6 month break in between gives the animation staff time to catch up and make sure the second half isn't a production disaster.

a lot of times they just don't announce the episode counts for shows at all and people figure them out from the blu-ray listings, which adds that layer of confusion when the show turns out to be split cour

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sleepy princess ED owns. show is p good too

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's got poor timing given bofuri already captured that niche extremely well earlier this year. hard act to follow

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

after saying i wasn't gonna watch a bunch of seasonals this season i went and did it anyway

Jujutsu Kaisen - i don't often do shonen jump stuff but this is very slick and in a thematic space I enjoy and seems like it might move with pace, the lack of which is usually my main complaint with big shonens.

Sleepy Princess - was already planning to watch this one and it's exactly what i expected and nothing more, which is good enough. i think i tend to like these "one-joke" high-concept comedies a lot more than most folks, especially when they're slapsticky

Wandering Witch - this episode wasn't really a knockout punch like the best stuff in this genre but it was good and i'd expect some of the following stories to be better now that the setup is out of the way.

Talentless Nana - i was gonna ignore this in favor of the danganronpa guy's show since it looked like it was in the same space, but got curious and watched it anyway and it sold me harder than i expected. so maybe i'll just watch both and set myself up to get burned twice

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Akudama Drive - i laughed when it suddenly turned into even more of 'extremely a kodaka anime' at the end even though i knew it had to be coming. this way overshoots the right amount of excess to impress and wraps around to feeling superficial but maybe that's the point idk

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

first episodes often have that "how was that only 20 minutes" feeling to them because everything you see is brand new information

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it looks like it might be a joshiraku situation where it needs really good subs and even then it's niche

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's the same char designer as monogatari

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sleepy princess is extremely my poo poo. second episode was funnier than the first imo

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if i loved denpa onna will that have any bearing on whether i'll like this one or is it a totally different gear? internal monologue heavy drama is not usually my thing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i get that the lesson of the episode is supposed to be 'small kindnesses done out of ignorance and privilege can lead to tragedy' but putting both these stories together without having elaina pay it forward in some way in the second one feels really off, like the show has abstained from making a clear point and just comes off as "poo poo happens i guess"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

elaina is definitely not a Cute Show, its a kino no tabi style storytelling/travelogue thing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

funimation has it

this page can be useful https://www.senpai.moe/?season=fall2020&mode=calendar
though sometimes a show is on two sites and it only lists one of them

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i haven't watched it but from what i saw from people posting about it the first episode is entirely in medias res and wasn't very clear about that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's not a weird trend, it's an ancient storytelling device that's widely used across all media

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they're used a lot in tv because you need to hook viewers in the first episode and not all stories have particularly exciting bits in the first 20 minutes worth of material, so you do it to show the eventual stakes or set up a little mystery as a hook

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i appreciate that jun maeda is still living in 2006 and writing anime accordingly but i have 0 faith in him to write a show with a satisfying shoe drop

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's definitely supposed to be a pun. it's written as demon king castle but also sounds like demon princess

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the 2003 kino's journey is a classic, the remake is not particularly great but has some stories that weren't in the 2003 one

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the ninja turtles are monster girls, got it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the characters are as stupid as they need to be for the narrative to function, thats how these shows work

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that was another Elaina episode I didn't really 'get', like there's a message in there about not considering certain jobs menial or looking down on them but it just kinda threw it out there toward the end rather than building around it. I don't think the show has a firm handle on meaningful episodic storytelling whether it's at the source material or adaptation level. kinda disappointing after the first couple episodes had clear messages that they delivered well, everything since has been clumsy in one way or another.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't think you're particularly supposed to sympathize with elaina, given that the main throughline of the series thus far is cautionary tales about privilege and pride, and she represents those things. it's just not been very well executed on an episode by episode basis.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pretty rare for anything to get more than 2 cours greenlit at a time these days, especially original anime where theres no source material it needs to get through

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1324231100764360705

new goro taniguchi anime next season, looks like mecha. written by the gurren lagann/kill la kill/promare/etc writer

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Willo567 posted:

What do they do for weekly series like Boruto?

i think anime voice acting actually gets done after most of the animation for the episode is done, not earlier in the process. could be anywhere from a week to months before airing depending on the production schedule. year round series probably have a decent buffer compared to seasonal anime which often are only a few weeks ahead when episode 1 airs and go down to the wire for the final episodes.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the delays were really not a big deal last time, bring them on if that's what it takes

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its the most danganronpa show this season despite there also being one by the actual danganronpa people

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there was a throughline of cautioning against prideful or selfish behavior but its kind of dissipated with the way the anime is choosing and adapting stories

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm still watching it out of curiosity but it's definitely the biggest disappointment this season from synopsis to reality

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that show feels like a weak script propped up by the animation staff having some fun with it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll_de/status/1332096802649120769?s=19

In/Spectre season 2 happening it looks like? pretty happy about that if it's legit, it's one that's really grown in my memory since it aired.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this one was a more coherent story than some of the other episodes but yeah the excess of the climactic scene was lame and counterproductive

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think there's interesting messages/themes buried in most of the episodes so far. in a couple cases not even buried, like the first couple eps. it's almost entirely an execution issue and not a source material issue as far as i can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i still actively like the jun maeda show through 8 episodes which is a new record. its a funnier comedy than his previous stuff and the emotional bits and scifi bullshit are better integrated so far. it doesn't seem like it has room to go as bad as charlotte at this point but i can't let my guard down