Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

well yeah, the other option is trying to wake them up with noise or whatever. but people are making good points and I'm up for that, however I do suggest that at least one of us should stay in regular reality with instructions to wake us in case things look like they're getting out of hand

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
1027 bows his head and steps back through the yellow door, saying that he'll stand guard as you and 1015 enter the dreamland. the two of you sit before the old yellow mouse and close your eyes, letting your consciousness slip away. stars streaking by, planets, moons and a great expanse and then the labs, a serene and familiar looking woman in a white coat opens several silver cages and lets the little yellow mice scurry up into her hand. a field by a forest, the one you'd first seen, and the mice sniffing the fresh air for the first time in their lives. fresh flowers, the fifth moon, a time you've never been awake to see, the little mice exploring their new world. death and mourning as one by one they perish in the wilds. a small band of mice seeking shelter and a place to dream as the fifth moon ends and the sixth begins. the cycle continues every year and the mice dwindle to a small group entering libraries, churches and homes, helping 5/7 open the books, watching him read and listening to his tales. the frog's in the swamp, the squirrels in the oak and maple stands, and then the mice of great oak and one one. finally the estate lost in the woods and the scene you had witnessed of the little yellow mice scampering under the iron fence. an explosion of stars blurs your vision and then settles on a lone tower rising from the ocean floor, an enormous black tendril wrapped around it and a lone light shining from it's top floor, a little room at the top of the stairs, inside something dreaming and keeping the unspeakable horrors at bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD8Mq6WT9qs

City of Glompton

:ohdear:

Manifisto

fantastic update!

in our dream-state, can we approach the room in the tower?

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

fantastic update!

And can we defend ourselves if we do?

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
thread ends in ~4 or 5 hours when I'm home from work, happy halloween everyone and thank you to those who are still reading

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

thread ends in ~4 or 5 hours when I'm home from work, happy halloween everyone and thank you to those who are still reading

:f5:

xcheopis

Luvcow posted:

Argh!
Thank you for this beautiful thread, full of charm and chills!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
i got a bad feeling this is not gonna be a happy ending

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

xcheopis

pnac attack posted:

nooooo

Manifisto

pnac attack posted:

I retain a spark of optimism, like the light shining at the top of the tower

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

I retain a spark of optimism, like the light shining at the top of the tower

Also, we know that this is a tale being told to youngsters, yes?

nut

I have been horrible at keeping up with any cyoa, but I finally sat down and entirely caught up. I am sad I did it so late, though. Knowing this entire story revolves around the experimental mice, it makes you wonder what kinds of things other animals experienced (I think there's mention of other types of animals in arkham and there were all sorts of skulls besides galahan's)

e: and obviously the rabbit mother

nut

And of course this is an insanely good thread, I read so much better when I get to go post to post so that was maybe the only advantage of doing it this way, but I wish I could have it as a book with the incredible art and tiny Hitclips keychains for each song stapled to the page

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

fantastic update!

this - perhaps we can lend out mental strength to the yellow mouse or at least help it to overcome the darkness

failing that maybe we can at least communicate with them and get the knowledge which will help us hold back the darkness and help our friends, especially the poor brave mouse who is injured!

thank you so much for making this luvcow and happy halloween to you! eager to find out what happens next!!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you remember moving closer to the room with the light, and your ego returning, and then terror. when usually you'd awaken you felt trapped, a pulling not a moving and an imminent doom approaching. and then you woke. in the grass by the beach, 1027 trying to comfort you, 1015 lying to your side and clutching your hand, her eyes clouding and flickering to life. you'd been screaming, screaming about the ocean and the one who slept beneath. so he'd grabbed the two of you and dragged you from the roots of the tupelo tree. bramble had carried you away till the bond with 5/7 was broken and you awoke. he begins to cry as the two of you sit up and begin to breath, the crisp salty air filling your lungs. 1027 drops his head and whispers that it's almost the mzatanos moon, the sleep is coming, you'll all dream together until the next year. you nod your head and sit in silence, knowing it's too late to find a safer haven to hide in once the dreams come. so you sit together in the grass listening to the lap of the waves on the sandy shore, the crickets singing of the coming winter and the hope of the spring to come. one day nearer spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxt-FnNy2I

Stoner Sloth

hug and comfort our friends and prepare to rest through the long winter with them until spring comes once again

a beautiful cliffhanger! hope we can continue some day

Manifisto

what a great story! ending on a somewhat ambiguous and thought-provoking note sometimes really enhances a tale (imo--while I'm not comparing this specifically to the ending of the sopranos look at how that ending polarized people). I absolutely agree with stoner sloth's hope that the story eventually gets picked up again in some fashion. thank you for this.

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

I, too, hope you will be up for more mouse adventures some day! Thank you so much.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
spoilers from a pm for some of the ideas I had for this thread:

each group of mice would dream for 11 months and then awaken for their month, october for the 10s etc. all of each batch has different powers/abilities whatever you want to call them

one one or 1/1 was the first of the first group, the original mouse bred from the "mouse from across the ocean" (one of the early albino lab mice created in poland in the 1870s) and the spirit of the "old ones". the 1s are the january mice so she'd lived so long because she only really lived for one month a year making her over 100 at this point

5/7, the "fresh flowers" of may that 1031 and 1015 saw in his dream for the first time ever, had been a "reading mouse" like 1027 turned out to be. he'd gone mad because he'd read too much into the humans and they're insanity. the quote he'd scratched above his entrance was from 2 kings 5:7 from the bible "new translation". he's probably in his 50s or 60s as he's been doing the same thing, dreaming for 11 months and awakening each may

if someone had asked or theorized the idea then 1031 would have been able to wake in january or may and if not then they all wait till next october. there was also the abenaki month/moon names. theres actually 13 moons and it's an older system of 13 moons with 28 days. the lab people hosed up and made 12 groups numbered by days instead of the natural animal way of 13 moons.

if i'm really stupid and still around i'll resurrect this next year in october

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Luvcow posted:

spoilers from a pm for some of the ideas I had for this thread:

each group of mice would dream for 11 months and then awaken for their month, october for the 10s etc. all of each batch has different powers/abilities whatever you want to call them

one one or 1/1 was the first of the first group, the original mouse bred from the "mouse from across the ocean" (one of the early albino lab mice created in poland in the 1870s) and the spirit of the "old ones". the 1s are the january mice so she'd lived so long because she only really lived for one month a year making her over 100 at this point

5/7, the "fresh flowers" of may that 1031 and 1015 saw in his dream for the first time ever, had been a "reading mouse" like 1027 turned out to be. he'd gone mad because he'd read too much into the humans and they're insanity. the quote he'd scratched above his entrance was from 2 kings 5:7 from the bible "new translation". he's probably in his 50s or 60s as he's been doing the same thing, dreaming for 11 months and awakening each may

if someone had asked or theorized the idea then 1031 would have been able to wake in january or may and if not then they all wait till next october. there was also the abenaki month/moon names. theres actually 13 moons and it's an older system of 13 moons with 28 days. the lab people hosed up and made 12 groups numbered by days instead of the natural animal way of 13 moons.

if i'm really stupid and still around i'll resurrect this next year in october

man there is so much going on here and if you ever feel like sharing more i am very much here for it. thank you

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

pnac attack posted:

man there is so much going on here and if you ever feel like sharing more i am very much here for it. thank you

it was the idea that we're all sitting around a fire and when someone tells an old story then you want to hear it right, the way it's always been told. but if someone tells a new story, one thats unwritten, then do you trust the narrator that they know the whole story and if they do is it a good story? or do you want to affect the story and help create it. the first time a story is told around a fire it's changed by the people listening, by their words and actions. i trusted that byob would help create a good story. that was the idea of the thread, the concept i hoped would work.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Luvcow posted:

it was the idea that we're all sitting around a fire and when someone tells an old story then you want to hear it right, the way it's always been told. but if someone tells a new story, one thats unwritten, then do you trust the narrator that they know the whole story and if they do is it a good story? or do you want to affect the story and help create it. the first time a story is told around a fire it's changed by the people listening, by their words and actions. i trusted that byob would help create a good story. that was the idea of the thread, the concept i hoped would work.

most of us genuinely can't operate on your level man. you've got a pretty special gift for this kind of worldbuilding/storytelling and for a well-intentioned but kinda burnt out/permafried audience it can be both enthralling and intimidating. i'm sorry we couldn't provide the input you were looking for but really appreciate what you put out anyways. i hope you know how beloved this thread has been and i hope you feel up to sharing more someday and i hope to be a better participant next time

----------------

Stoner Sloth

Luvcow posted:

well for what it's worth i think it's been a great story so far - i think these things take time to build momentum and you've definitely got a lot of fans of your work and increasingly people trying to contribute

no pressure of course but would love you to feel comfortable to continue when you're ready - gonna keep this thread bookmarked cause it has been great.

:glomp: appreciate you friend!

Ass-penny

Thank you for sharing this story with us. Those spoilers are far beyond any concepts I'd developed for this world, indeed, some of my RPG settings are less thought out than that. Like pnac said, sorry we didn't have the creative chops you were looking to bounce this idea off of. I get if you need to put it to bed but I'd definitely read updates if you wanted to provide them in the future.

Stoner Sloth posted:

no pressure of course but would love you to feel comfortable to continue when you're ready - gonna keep this thread bookmarked cause it has been great.

:glomp: appreciate you friend!

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
no need for any apologies, my fault if I came off that way. I'm thankful to any and all contributions people made to the thread and the story. the fact it even went past the first few posts and didn't devolve into a gbs poop/sex/rape joke is a success due to byob people.

City of Glompton

such a lovely story. look forward to giving it a proper read/listen when i have a quiet afternoon

thank you luvcow! :glomp:

Stoner Sloth

Luvcow posted:

no need for any apologies, my fault if I came off that way. I'm thankful to any and all contributions people made to the thread and the story. the fact it even went past the first few posts and didn't devolve into a gbs poop/sex/rape joke is a success due to byob people.

:glomp: friend, we're thankful to you too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Wonderful story, and I look forward to it hopefully being picked up next year or whenever Luvcow, thank you!