Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

ask spirit mouse "what up?"

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

Agreed. Ask the spirit for information on the house.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

BoldFrankensteinMir

Klaus mouse.

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you try to connect with the spirit, pressing your paw deeper into the wood. a flood of memories courses through you, a tiny baby born within the walls, scurrying with it's litter mates, growing amongst the opulence of the estate. a life running and playing, eating and sleeping, and then the end... your mind settles upon the mouse's skull, lying somewhere in the attic of the mansion, resting with others of it's kind in some sort of macabre collection. the spirit is friendly but somehow beyond your reach but you feel you could learn more, perhaps even "talk" and or communicate in some way if you found and touched it, connected yourself to it. you remove your paw and breathe, trying to understand what has just happened and how it has remained latent inside you for so long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQPusOl0eg

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i apologize if updates are taking longer, work is crazy but if i can get at least one or two even on the busy days i'm going to keep this thread going for october/the ik period. happy october everyone :)

owlhawk911

quest onward to the skull collection, where we might commune with the spirits of those who once dwelt here

ty luvcow for this precious gift and take your time :)

City of Glompton

owlhawk911 posted:

quest onward to the skull collection, where we might commune with the spirits of those who once dwelt here

:hai:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Ass-penny

Agreed with going up towards the attic to try and communicate with the ghost.

Luvcow don't fret pauses in the thread, might get a lurker to post.

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you crawl into the old dining room, it's vaulted ceilings and ornate woodwork giving you pause as you admire the room's beauty. you catch your breath when you realize there are several sets of faintly glowing eyes watching you, all seated around the table as if you've just interrupted a meal. you slowly move towards the exit to the front hall and feel them follow you. swallowing your fears you use the little you saw from the spirit mouse's memories to navigate the mansion, through the front hall, up the grand staircase, down halls whose once sumptuous red carpets now molder beneath your tiny feet. up another set of great stairs, more hallways and finally rounding a corner the hallway ends at a lone window. you look to your right and see a spiral staircase leading up to the attic, an iron door lying at it's top with an ornate silver lock.

a wispy ethereal figure materializes in front of you, that of an elderly woman supporting herself with a cane. she points to something shiny dangling under the window sill, a small silver key. thunder crashes outside and the wind pushes torrents of rain against the ancient window pains. somewhere downstairs you hear a crash and clatter of metal and glass and the ethereal woman disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeyHPAdxuy0

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

you crawl into the old dining room, it's vaulted ceilings and ornate woodwork giving you pause as you admire the room's beauty. you catch your breath when you realize there are several sets of faintly glowing eyes watching you, all seated around the table as if you've just interrupted a meal. you slowly move towards the exit to the front hall and feel them follow you. swallowing your fears you use the little you saw from the spirit mouse's memories to navigate the mansion, through the front hall, up the grand staircase, down halls whose once sumptuous red carpets now molder beneath your tiny feet. up another set of great stairs, more hallways and finally rounding a corner the hallway ends at a lone window. you look to your right and see a spiral staircase leading up to the attic, an iron door lying at it's top with an ornate silver lock.

a wispy ethereal figure materializes in front of you, that of an elderly woman supporting herself with a cane. she points to something shiny dangling under the window sill, a small silver key. thunder crashes outside and the wind pushes torrents of rain against the ancient window pains. somewhere downstairs you hear a crash and clatter of metal and glass and the ethereal woman disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeyHPAdxuy0

neato! I mean spoooky I am so scaaared!

I think we need to check out what happened downstairs before we brave the locked attic.

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Scramble up to get that key, use the spear to get it or climb on the "ornate woodwork" or both if necessary.

Then back downstairs to see what broke in, with javelin readied and key-blade at the hip (I assume it has a little ribbon it dangled from that can be our sash).

The lock isn't going anywhere, I want to see this mouse swashbuckle a ghost

Edit- oh hell yes it's a silver weapon...

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 7, 2020

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

I lean more towards getting the key and getting into the attic first, hoping to find some useful items or information once we could commune with our ghostly mouse pal. Kinda looking like I'm going to be outvoted here.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I want to see this mouse swashbuckle a ghost

And actually when framed this way it does sound pretty entertaining.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you use the spear to manipulate the red ribbon tied to the key to lower it to the floor off of it's hook below the window sill. once down you loop it over your shoulder to make a sash and secure it to your back. traveling as quietly as you can you make your way back down the hallways and third floor staircase until you reach the top of the grand staircase. you pause and listen, spear at the ready, and hear the patter of small feet across the old wood floors. something chitters, reminding you of the raccoons you'd seen at times in the labs of arkham, and then a large form briefly comes into view at the landing below you. a raccoon, far bigger than the ones you'd ever seen, pokes it head and looks up, not appearing to see you, and then disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ7puU2yOAw

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, we can go unlock it now.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

you use the spear to manipulate the red ribbon tied to the key to lower it to the floor off of it's hook below the window sill. once down you loop it over your shoulder to make a sash and secure it to your back. traveling as quietly as you can you make your way back down the hallways and third floor staircase until you reach the top of the grand staircase. you pause and listen, spear at the ready, and hear the patter of small feet across the old wood floors. something chitters, reminding you of the raccoons you'd seen at times in the labs of arkham, and then a large form briefly comes into view at the landing below you. a raccoon, far bigger than the ones you'd ever seen, pokes it head and looks up, not appearing to see you, and then disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ7puU2yOAw

love this drawing :love:

hmm I am not sure whether these raccoons are anything to worry about. if they might have come from the lab, who knows what they might be capable of? but I'm down with completing our quest to the attic for the moment.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
please please please curate this when it's over into a book or website or something because it's the most precious and perfect thread :3:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you make your way back up to the third floor, pausing for a moment at the bottom of the spiral staircase leading to the attic. outside the winds continue to blow rain against the hallway window and a low rumble of thunder confirms that the storm still rages outside. as you jump and climb up the swirling steps a flash of lightning illuminates your surroundings, letting you see the small mouse scuffs that tell the tale of other mice traveling up and down the stairs over the years. once at the top you manage to climb to the small silver lock and carefully insert the key. using all of your force you manage to pull it down, hearing the satisfying turn of the tumblers inside as the lock clicks open. wedging the spear against the door frame you try several different approaches before finally figuring a way to turn the glass door handle and as you scurry back to the ground a phantom breeze blows the door towards you, opening your way into the attic room. you sling the key onto your back once again and look into the room, finding your view obscured by some sort of murky "barrier", almost like a curtain slowly undulating in front of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkONssSNiDE

Manifisto

can we communicate with the undulating barrier? if not, does the silver key do anything to the barrier?

e: this is a lovely track

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Chewbecca posted:

please please please curate this when it's over into a book or website or something because it's the most precious and perfect thread :3:

thanks for the kind words :) i figure it will just fall into the forums archives at some point but that's fine, i like to think a thread like this is a "had to have been there while it was live to appreciate it" kind of thing

Manifisto posted:

e: this is a lovely track

yeah i love pretty much everything this guy does. not sure if people are paying attention but every tune has a hint or a clue about what's happening, going to happen, has happened in the story be it the feeling, the words or the name of the tune

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

yeah i love pretty much everything this guy does. not sure if people are paying attention but every tune has a hint or a clue about what's happening, going to happen, has happened in the story be it the feeling, the words or the name of the tune

yeah I did get that the tracks each relate to the story in some way, they're also great mood music to read the updates by

owlhawk911

i love washed out :3

i'm pretty sure that barrier isn't there to stop us, just go through

Twenty Four

Luvcow my friend, I can't express how much I enjoy your prose and art. I don't know how better to put it, other then heartfelt appreciation.

Twenty Four

As far as our mouse friend is concerned, press forward I suppose.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you take a deep breath and close your eyes before taking a step through the barrier before you. a feeling of safety and welcomeness washes over you as you pass through into the old attic. at the far end a window lets the light of the moon inside, illuminating the various shelves and tables that fill the room. on one lies a collection of spoons, another various ornate dollhouses filled with tiny furniture. under the window lies a large shelf filled with skulls, your eyes drawn to the skull of the spirit mouse. you feel it's energy guide your gaze to a large collection of stuffed mice to it's left, each one carefully crafted to preserve the fur and then outfitted with capes, weapons, armor. one stands out in particular, you instantly know it's the spirit, he stand with a black cape and silver sword, looking regal and dignified in his repose. his fur has been immaculately kept, his skull lying mere feet away amongst a collection of other small animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKhH_jUXylU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Twenty Four posted:

Luvcow my friend, I can't express how much I enjoy your prose and art. I don't know how better to put it, other then heartfelt appreciation.

thank you. i don't want to take up space with a non funny thread so it's good to know that at least a few people are still reading.

City of Glompton

i'm reading and enjoying this thread very much, byob superstar Luvcow :h:

walk closer to the skull...how does the air feel in here? any smells?

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

sb hermit

I think we should upgrade and hold his sword aloft and don his cape.

It seems that our departed friend has information about this place. Can we commune with him further with his skull?

Also, I am still a bit worried about that raccoon...

owlhawk911

starbucks hermit posted:

I think we should upgrade and hold his sword aloft and don his cape.

It seems that our departed friend has information about this place. Can we commune with him further with his skull?

Also, I am still a bit worried about that raccoon...

maybe we should, but we should def talk to him *first* and see what he thinks about that

sb hermit

owlhawk911 posted:

maybe we should, but we should def talk to him *first* and see what he thinks about that

:hai:

Ass-penny

owlhawk911 posted:

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

If we do take the model sword and cloak, be sure to keep the silver key around anyway. While sharper and better balanced for sure, the model sword may not be made of actual silver, which is gonna matter if/when we come across a for-reals undead.

Sig by Heather Papps

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you carefully approach the skull, your nose taking in the smell of fresh flowers mixed with the musty attic air. the skull sits on a tiny table between others like it: rat, squirrel, chipmunk, skunk, and others. each well polished and preserved. reaching your paw out you touch the snout and feel a rush of emotions course through your body. his name was galahad, the little girl whose playroom you stand in had rescued him from a cat and given him shelter to heal his wounds. she'd let him run loose in the house, live with the other house mice, and he'd returned to the attic everyday to play with her. the family had accepted the little mouse as her pet, a member of the family welcome to roam freely on the grounds. and the father had brought back the array of weapons and clothes from his trips across the sea.

he tells you that when he finally passed the girl was heartbroken, she took him to her fathers laboratory in the basement and had his bones cleaned, his fur stuffed so she could remember him, still play the games they'd played, go on the adventures they'd planned. and as she grew older she visited the attic playroom less and less, until one day she came as an old woman and said her goodbyes, kissing the little skull and the stuffed mouse and then locking the iron door with the silver key. galahad tells you to take his sword and cape, saying the spirit of the girl would be happy to know another mouse could carry it with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ywMEBW9rc

edit:
it looks like this thread has run it's course, thank you bfm for that beautiful last reply post. i'm just going to let this thread slip off the first page and then close it. sorry i didn't make my goal of making this thread good enough to keep people posting and getting this thread to a satisfying conclusion for the 31 days of october, good night everyone and have a happy halloween when we get there

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 10, 2020

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sweeeeet. TY ghost of Galahad. Tennyson would approve.

My good blade carves the casques of men,
My tough lance thrusteth sure,
My strength is as the strength of ten
Because my heart is pure.

After hearing of a kind human having adventures with her mice, I think we should muse about the Kind Woman for a moment (while we equip our new gear). Was there anything else she said to us? Did she ever call us by any name other than our test subject number?

Sig by Heather Papps

Ass-penny

Hell yeah. Time to gear up!
E: oh, if you're still up for updating it. I think this thread is good.

Jaguars!

Hello again :wave:

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I think we should muse about the Kind Woman for a moment (while we equip our new gear). Was there anything else she said to us? Did she ever call us by any name other than our test subject number?

This is a good idea, and take a look out the window before we go downstairs.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I think we should also examine some of the other things in the attic. Perhaps we could take a look at the collection of spoons?

Manifisto

ooh we're live again! this thread is absolutely amazing.

I want to check out the rest of this room of course, but this basement lab definitely sounds worth looking into.

does galahad know what the father did for a living? did he work at the facility we came from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

ooh we're live again! this thread is absolutely amazing.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext