Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

wow

I wonder what the tendril thing is, is it possible it is one of our old friends hideously transformed?

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Luvcow posted:

you grasp the sword and let your mind drift to it's former owner, the stuffed mouse in the attic room. a feeling of comfort washes over you as you deftly swing the sword through the air, a sudden understanding of it's use and weight winking into existence in your mind. the brush parts before you and a single black tendril snakes it's way through and hovers just above your head. an eerie calm descends upon the beech grove and you steady yourself as it appears to inspect you. there's something strangely familiar yet unnerving. you stand frozen for what seems like an eternity, the silence finally broken by the flit of the nuthatch's wings as it flies overhead, a terrified song echoing through the grove. he carries the limp body of a mouse with him and tells you he'll return shortly for you. the crows above break into a cacophony of alarm and in an instant the tendril retracts into the brush, followed by the hurried retreat of the creature into the woods. within moments you find yourself alone, your grip on the sword loosening as it drops to your side. whatever it was it recognized you, saw itself in you and the the horror of what they did to you in the labs creeps back into your mind. the crows are gone now, the nuthatch too, and you stand in silence on the soft forest floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOz3VJD4L0o

The closest I have been to a tendril is eating calamari and even after many dozens of times I still don't trust 'em! Tasty though!

Also quoting for new page :)

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Manifisto posted:

wow

I wonder what the tendril thing is, is it possible it is one of our old friends hideously transformed?

i'm pretty sure that's what it is and i'm also pretty sure it needs a hug

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Stoner Sloth

maybe try to mentally contact the creature? try to calm it and send it chill and positive vibes

if we can get it to regain it's senses then maybe it can be an ally or at least be convinced not to attack other lost mice, maybe even help them and direct them to us?

heck perhaps we can even find a way to help it.

all the same we should remain wary - maybe there's something else in the forest that scared it away

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

maybe try to mentally contact the creature? try to calm it and send it chill and positive vibes

if we can get it to regain it's senses then maybe it can be an ally or at least be convinced not to attack other lost mice, maybe even help them and direct them to us?

heck perhaps we can even find a way to help it.

all the same we should remain wary - maybe there's something else in the forest that scared it away

agreed on all fronts

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you lay back into the forest floor and let your mind travel. your eyes close and you feel yourself following the now distant creature, it's terrified retreat into the woods stopping as your thoughts reach it. there's a seething hatred, a myriad of terrible memories from the past and a muted cry for the release of death. drifting through it's unconscious you gradually form a vision of a lone mouse looking out from her cage in the arkham labs. a memory of 1014, always such a sweet and gentle friend, your ego begins to return and you feel the connection fading. you come to and see the sunlight poking through the canopy broken by the shadow of a bird flying overhead, the nuthatch singing to you that he's trying to locate you to bring you back to the estate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5axbaGBVto

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
The mood of this thread is always sublime.

I wonder; are fellow experimentees the only ones we have ever had a mental connection with? Can we think back and recall anyone else we've sensed through our minds? If not, then we can probably assume that the experimentation is what caused the mental linkage...

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

blaise rascal posted:

The mood of this thread is always sublime.

:agreed: and it's got the best soundtrack

blaise rascal posted:

I wonder; are fellow experimentees the only ones we have ever had a mental connection with? Can we think back and recall anyone else we've sensed through our minds? If not, then we can probably assume that the experimentation is what caused the mental linkage...

yeah, whatever the experimenters did to the lil mice certainly messed us up, but the "old ones" sound like they were around before this series of experiments . . . maybe from past experimentation at the arkham lab?

Luvcow posted:

there's a seething hatred, a myriad of terrible memories from the past and a muted cry for the release of death. drifting through it's unconscious you gradually form a vision of a lone mouse looking out from her cage in the arkham labs. a memory of 1014, always such a sweet and gentle friend, your ego begins to return and you feel the connection fading.

1014 . . . another friend accounted for, but how incredibly tragic . . .

what can we do for our friend? there's got to be something short of killing them?

in any event let's reply to the nuthatch so they can find us. do we want to do a little reconaissance before returning?

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Poor little 1014!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

take the moon

by sebmojo

Manifisto posted:

:agreed: and it's got the best soundtrack

yeah, whatever the experimenters did to the lil mice certainly messed us up, but the "old ones" sound like they were around before this series of experiments . . . maybe from past experimentation at the arkham lab?

1014 . . . another friend accounted for, but how incredibly tragic . . .

what can we do for our friend? there's got to be something short of killing them?

in any event let's reply to the nuthatch so they can find us. do we want to do a little reconaissance before returning?

can we like telepathically send them comfort waves

----------------

City of Glompton

xcheopis posted:

Poor little 1014!

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

Poor little 1014!

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Stoner Sloth

send one last message to 1014 - give them some chill vibes and let them know that we will try to find a way to help them, that we won't forget them and that if they find any others to help them get to where we are staying

then lets call out to our nuthatch friend and head back to see if we can help the wounded mouse

Ass-penny

Stoner Sloth posted:

send one last message to 1014 - give them some chill vibes and let them know that we will try to find a way to help them, that we won't forget them and that if they find any others to help them get to where we are staying

then lets call out to our nuthatch friend and head back to see if we can help the wounded mouse

Does telepathic communication allow us to link BYOB reggae???

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you call to the nuthatch and then close your eyes, sending out your love for your fallen friend. sadness fills your heart and time seems to slow as the flitting wings of the little bird waft the air around you. you wave one last time and then climb onto the nuthatch's back and within moments you're flying through the branches and landing in the grass of the estate. bramble and the two mice scurry out to greet you and tell you of your new guest now resting under the blueberry bush. you tell them of 1014 and together you stand in silence. you leave them to their thoughts and go to greet the brave wounded mouse. he sits up and nods to you, saying that he thanks you for saving him but he needs to get back to his tribe at the great oak. he says his name is acorn, son of the mother mouse with no name, and he describes to you a beautiful subterranean mouse town populated with hundreds of mice and plenty of supplies for the winter. he winces in pain from a deep black wound in his side and slowly he eases himself back into the grass breathing heavily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGsmyqIrZRo

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Luvcow posted:

you call to the nuthatch and then close your eyes, sending out your love for your fallen friend. sadness fills your heart and time seems to slow as the flitting wings of the little bird waft the air around you. you wave one last time and then climb onto the nuthatch's back and within moments you're flying through the branches and landing in the grass of the estate. bramble and the two mice scurry out to greet you and tell you of your new guest now resting under the blueberry bush. you tell them of 1014 and together you stand in silence. you leave them to their thoughts and go to greet the brave wounded mouse. he sits up and nods to you, saying that he thanks you for saving him but he needs to get back to his tribe at the great oak. he says his name is acorn, son of the mother mouse with no name, and he describes to you a beautiful subterranean mouse town populated with hundreds of mice and plenty of supplies for the winter. he winces in pain from a deep black wound in his side and slowly he eases himself back into the grass breathing heavily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGsmyqIrZRo

tell him it's probably smart to chill here and heal up before he heads back, make sure he ain't contagious. offer to take a message over/check out this great oak

----------------

Manifisto

acorn's home sounds nice. if he's up to it I would like to hear about his encounter with 1014 and with any other old ones/dangerous spirits that roam the forest.

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Are there good healers amongst Acorn's people? Maybe a brief rest and then home with the news of another safe place to which they can flee, if necessary?

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Stoner Sloth

pnac attack posted:

tell him it's probably smart to chill here and heal up before he heads back, make sure he ain't contagious. offer to take a message over/check out this great oak

Manifisto posted:

acorn's home sounds nice. if he's up to it I would like to hear about his encounter with 1014 and with any other old ones/dangerous spirits that roam the forest.

xcheopis posted:

Are there good healers amongst Acorn's people? Maybe a brief rest and then home with the news of another safe place to which they can flee, if necessary?

all of these but first let's get our new friend's wound cleaned up and tended to with the help of the others - i don't like that the wound is deep and black.

definitely ask him about healers of course too but definitely need some first aid and if necessary we can fetch him a healer instead of moving him maybe?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you confer with the others on acorn's wound and 1027 says he will try his best. the little mouse kneels beside your new guest and closes his eyes, his paws hovering over the sickly black puncture. your fur stands on end, a feeling of vibrance and energy filling the air. 1027 finishes and sits on the ground exhausted, telling you he did what he could. he warns that the wound will only grow deeper and he quietly squeaks of his fears that it's already changing the poor brave mouse. 1015 sits in silence by bramble and the nuthatch listening to the conversation pensively. acorn's eyes flutter and he props himself up again, saying he's seen the changes you speak of and the horror they produce, like the creature you saved him from. he tells of the great oak and how to get there, roughly a full days journey to the north east, and of the harvest festival currently under way. together you sit in silence, contemplating your next move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opBe5z0qwRE

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

1027 finishes and sits on the ground exhausted, telling you he did what he could. he warns that the wound will only grow deeper and he quietly squeaks of his fears that it's already changing the poor brave mouse.

if only we had some mouse athelas!

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
your words trail off into the night as your audience fades into slumber. you scan the mice around the fire, watching them sleep and content that they've heard enough of your story. the one still awake you thank for their presence and you stand from your seat, an old mouse who's stories have been told. life has been good and you quietly bid your farewells to the fire circle, looking forward to sleep and tomorrow another day.

Stoner Sloth

Luvcow posted:

your words trail off into the night as your audience fades into slumber. you scan the mice around the fire, watching them sleep and content that they've heard enough of your story. the one still awake you thank for their presence and you stand from your seat, an old mouse who's stories have been told. life has been good and you quietly bid your farewells to the fire circle, looking forward to sleep and tomorrow another day.

:ohdear: aww i wanna hear more stories!

Luvcow posted:

you confer with the others on acorn's wound and 1027 says he will try his best. the little mouse kneels beside your new guest and closes his eyes, his paws hovering over the sickly black puncture. your fur stands on end, a feeling of vibrance and energy filling the air. 1027 finishes and sits on the ground exhausted, telling you he did what he could. he warns that the wound will only grow deeper and he quietly squeaks of his fears that it's already changing the poor brave mouse. 1015 sits in silence by bramble and the nuthatch listening to the conversation pensively. acorn's eyes flutter and he props himself up again, saying he's seen the changes you speak of and the horror they produce, like the creature you saved him from. he tells of the great oak and how to get there, roughly a full days journey to the north east, and of the harvest festival currently under way. together you sit in silence, contemplating your next move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opBe5z0qwRE

was gonna suggest we confer with the others - I think we need to get our brave friend to his village and to do that we should take all of our friends as 1027 might be needed to help stabilize the wounds and we can't leave 1015 alone.

perhaps if the wounded mouse, 1027 and 1015 took the rabbit and we went with the nuthatch to scout for danger we could all get there - if the poor brave mouse has only limited time we should take them to their home even as we try desperately to find a cure

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

I have been loving the hell out of this thread and the story. I want to hear how it ends!!

if 1014 wants to get home and there may be a way to heal him there, going to the great oak seems to be the most logical next step, assuming our companions are okay with that. I'm not sure there is much else we can do for 1014 here.

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Stoner Sloth posted:

:ohdear: aww i wanna hear more stories!

was gonna suggest we confer with the others - I think we need to get our brave friend to his village and to do that we should take all of our friends as 1027 might be needed to help stabilize the wounds and we can't leave 1015 alone.

perhaps if the wounded mouse, 1027 and 1015 took the rabbit and we went with the nuthatch to scout for danger we could all get there - if the poor brave mouse has only limited time we should take them to their home even as we try desperately to find a cure

you and maybe two other people but thank you for contributing

Manifisto posted:

I have been loving the hell out of this thread and the story. I want to hear how it ends!!

if 1014 wants to get home and there may be a way to heal him there, going to the great oak seems to be the most logical next step, assuming our companions are okay with that. I'm not sure there is much else we can do for 1014 here.

I'll continue in a few days but for now the lack of interest just depresses me so I'm gonna do irl for a few days. I stopped doing these in gbs bc it's all "kill yourself" and "do this explicit sex act on an animal/object/monkey cheese". Here it's at least people posting in good faith but it feels like the creative phase of byob is just gone or maybe just gone for me. in the meantime can this thread be unstickied so it can die a quiet death on the vine until I get into a better place to update while there's still time left in October.

Stoner Sloth

Luvcow posted:

you and maybe two other people but thank you for contributing

I'll continue in a few days but for now the lack of interest just depresses me so I'm gonna do irl for a few days. I stopped doing these in gbs bc it's all "kill yourself" and "do this explicit sex act on an animal/object/monkey cheese". Here it's at least people posting in good faith but it feels like the creative phase of byob is just gone or maybe just gone for me. in the meantime can this thread be unstickied so it can die a quiet death on the vine until I get into a better place to update while there's still time left in October.

I think more people want to contribute but sometimes it's hard or someone else ninjas you with the idea you wanted to put forwards?

regardless i do know for a fact that many yobbers are enjoying your thread and want it to continue - no pressure friend but i'm sure folks would be willing to try to give more feedback/posts with ideas.

another thought is that it can take people time to be able to post so maybe give it a couple of days between updates each time so that folks get a chance to respond more?

in any case if you don't feel in a good place to update that is okay, but i do know that we'd love you to continue when you're feeling it buddy! :glomp:

xcheopis

Stoner Sloth posted:

I think more people want to contribute but sometimes it's hard or someone else ninjas you with the idea you wanted to put forwards?

regardless i do know for a fact that many yobbers are enjoying your thread and want it to continue - no pressure friend but i'm sure folks would be willing to try to give more feedback/posts with ideas.

another thought is that it can take people time to be able to post so maybe give it a couple of days between updates each time so that folks get a chance to respond more?

in any case if you don't feel in a good place to update that is okay, but i do know that we'd love you to continue when you're feeling it buddy! :glomp:

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I am a big fan of this thread, but sometimes I find it hard to contribute myself, because I’m scared I’ll say something dumb and kill the thread’s magic, you know?

In any case, I’m adoring the new updates - but if you want to take a break, certainly you may do so! Just don’t think that people are not appreciating the thread, because I really don’t think that’s true.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Ass-penny

blaise rascal posted:

I am a big fan of this thread, but sometimes I find it hard to contribute myself, because I’m scared I’ll say something dumb and kill the thread’s magic, you know?

In any case, I’m adoring the new updates - but if you want to take a break, certainly you may do so! Just don’t think that people are not appreciating the thread, because I really don’t think that’s true.

City of Glompton

blaise rascal posted:

:hai:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you travelled for hours through the forest, stopping only once to take a drink from a small rocky stream. by nightfall you've arrived at the great oak, it's huge ancient trunk twisting up through the canopy, and acorn carefully dismount's from the rabbit's back. 1015 and 1027 climb down after him and help steady him as he gingerly walks to a darkened opening between the tree's gnarled roots. inside you hear squeaking and several excited mice poke their heads out to beckon you inside.the small earthen passageways open into great chambers adorned with stairs, ramps and balconies and what seems to be countless mice scurrying here and there carrying seeds and nuts, berries and baskets and wooden spears. glowing moss covers the ceiling and walls and illuminates the bustling community in an eerie warmth and the collective conversations flows like music to your little ears. acorn is led away to be tended to and as you wave your goodbye a wizened old mouse comes to you and asks you follow him. he leads you deep into the earth and into a large stone chamber, at it's end sits an ancient looking withered white mouse, the mother mouse with no name. he tells you she was the first, escaping the clutches of men and finding her way to the oak. every year she wakes for the first moon and then falls into her nearly year long slumber, ever watching over her children. she had said there would be others, that they would find her here. his voice trails off and you stand in silence looking deep within yourself. you know her name, you have always known. "one one" you quietly squeak, 1015 and 1027 nod their heads and together you bow in respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UZ3ktLBfMo

Ass-penny

:suspense:

Seriously Luvcow, this story has been heart wrenching and compelling. Thank you for continuing to write/draw/dj it for us. I can't wait to hear what One One has to say! Is she awake?

Manifisto

aw drat, what an update!

if we focus on her thoughts--or dreams--can we catch anything?

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
alamikos

you close your eyes and give yourself over to the dreaming, feeling your ego slip away and your friends falling way to the same slumber. a time long ago, a little white mouse was purchased by a man traveling across the ocean. she stayed in his pocket, attending concerts and balls and grand dinners, always to be showcased and passed around to delight the guests. she had travelled on a steamship to the new world and from the docks of boston she'd felt and heard the clop of the hooves of a carriage carrying her and the man to a beautiful estate in the woods, past the little villages and farmer's fields. there he'd introduced her to his wife and brought her to her new home, a beautiful silver cage in the basement lab, filled with other silver cages and all sorts of other mice. through various experimentations, incantations and arcane ceremonies the little white mouse gave birth to her first litter, all but one born dead, and the one who survived, the man dubbed her 1/1. the strange little mouse began to thrive, and listened intently to her mother's stories until her first long sleep arrived. she dreamt for 12 moons, and awakened to find her mother still there, but much older now. this cycle continued until one year she awoke to find her mother gone to ravages of time. each year after she'd awaken and be bred. and at the end of the moon she'd sleep. for over a hundred years she lived this way, building her courage to escape, breaking her cage and making her way to the great oak during the great war, when the now old man had traveled back across the sea. you feel your ego returning as the pieces of the story come together and you struggle to understand. around you your friends begin to wake and several of the great oak mice approach you with bits of fermented berries and mushrooms and bid you to partake. 1015 and 1027 look to you for direction, the ancient white mouse still sitting before you, staring out into the dreamland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRDAkgOF_0U

Manifisto

that's such a lovely story, now I want to travel around with a mouse in my pocket

I feel like it's incumbent on us, and any who will join us, to do whatever we can for the survivors of these experiments, even if they've been transformed into horrors

how exactly we do that I'm not sure, we can certainly see if anyone has advice, or can at least tell us where others are

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but the music selections accompanying these updates are all top notch

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but the music selections accompanying these updates are all top notch

thank you. i've done a lot of these types threads and I've always listened to music while drawing them/thinking about it so it's nice to actually share the music that helped inspire it.

:gbsmith:

Stoner Sloth

Luvcow posted:

thank you. i've done a lot of these types threads and I've always listened to music while drawing them/thinking about it so it's nice to actually share the music that helped inspire it.

:gbsmith:

it's great and compliments the art and story well friend! gonna post a post today (sorry been busy readying for rental property inspection)

take the moon

by sebmojo
ya not sure what to do but its good to chill out and vibe with one one imo

----------------

Stoner Sloth

okay - quick response, think we've learned some valuable things here

1. first things first, we should thank the sleeping mouse and gift her with pleasant dreams and thoughts of her family and that we will be doing our best to help and protect them - we may shortly need to bond with her again and besides she deserves kindness for sharing her story with us

2. encourage out friends to eat with us, we need to regain our strength. Talk with them to allay their fears and share our information and plans - make sure 1015 in particular is doing okay. we want to broach the idea of them staying here with the great oak mice for now - it'd be good for them to not be alone and here we can help protect our forest buddies too. perhaps 1027 can use their healing to help delay the progress of the brave mouses wound?

3. in particular touch on the fact we've learned two potentially useful means of helping hold back the darkness and perhaps helping our wounded friend - firstly those cages were silver for a reason i'm guessing, we can perhaps make use of that if we can acquire some silver? might be useful to make a silver sword but also perhaps we can use it to treat the wound.

4. more immediately though what we've learned is that the use of incantations can protect against such things... and we now have a source for learning those incantations if we can make use of our mind bond to retrieve the memory of them from the venerable sleeping mouse! if we can use these we can perhaps help to protect the great oak mice and also perhaps slow the progress or even counter the black wound on our injured friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
as nice as a fermented berry sounds we should probably take this opportunity to ask one-one about... well, everything! what kind of experiments were these, what can she tell us about her children, why did she need to escape, when did things change? the experimenters seemed well-intentioned to begin with, did things going bad have something to do with the war? whatever the specifics are she's basically our grandma and we should let her know that we love/respect her and seek her guidance. definitely berry/shroom with her too if she's into it

----------------