Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Stoner Sloth posted:

okay - quick response, think we've learned some valuable things here

1. first things first, we should thank the sleeping mouse and gift her with pleasant dreams and thoughts of her family and that we will be doing our best to help and protect them - we may shortly need to bond with her again and besides she deserves kindness for sharing her story with us

2. encourage out friends to eat with us, we need to regain our strength. Talk with them to allay their fears and share our information and plans - make sure 1015 in particular is doing okay. we want to broach the idea of them staying here with the great oak mice for now - it'd be good for them to not be alone and here we can help protect our forest buddies too. perhaps 1027 can use their healing to help delay the progress of the brave mouses wound?

3. in particular touch on the fact we've learned two potentially useful means of helping hold back the darkness and perhaps helping our wounded friend - firstly those cages were silver for a reason i'm guessing, we can perhaps make use of that if we can acquire some silver? might be useful to make a silver sword but also perhaps we can use it to treat the wound.

4. more immediately though what we've learned is that the use of incantations can protect against such things... and we now have a source for learning those incantations if we can make use of our mind bond to retrieve the memory of them from the venerable sleeping mouse! if we can use these we can perhaps help to protect the great oak mice and also perhaps slow the progress or even counter the black wound on our injured friend!

our posting schedules have aligned :cheers: but re: #1 man she's awake right now! this is the one day/year she's awake and we def got to do something with that. also i think our sword is silver already? yeah i checked, it is

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

pnac attack posted:

our posting schedules have aligned :cheers: but re: #1 man she's awake right now! this is the one day/year she's awake and we def got to do something with that. also i think our sword is silver already? yeah i checked, it is

good catch! perhaps we can try to use it to help dispel the darkness from our friends wound.

i thought the mouse lady was still in dreamland but we were mentally contacting her - either way more information we can find out from her the better and still interested in seeing if we can probe her memories of the incantations used to control and protect from whatever monsters or dark forces the humans summoned

also 5. make sure our rabbit and bird friend are well cared for and fed/watered. if we can we should try to see if they know other rabbits or birbs that might want to join the colony and help protect it in exchange for food and protection themselves? if we can forge alliances amongst the woodland creatures we can help the whole forest hopefully! obviously we also need to discuss this with the leaders of the great oak mice to make sure they'd be okay with it but potentially could be very good for them - our rabbit pal alone could help safely transport them to gather food and medicines!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you respectfully decline the offer of berries and mushrooms and instead confer with your friends before heading into the dreamlands again to commune with the ancient white mouse. around you the great oak mice in attendance begin to chant in a soothing drone. your consciousness floats back to the old estate, from a time after it's abandonment but long before you found it. a yellow mouse scurries through the iron fence, followed by several others like it, pausing to take in the grounds before heading to the entrance you'd found hidden in the base of the wall. the little group finds their way to the basement laboratory and with some struggle they move through the books, working together to open the covers as the first mouse reads the pages. days pass, weeks... and then they're gone. you're lifted to a different time, the yellow mouse sits before one one, telling her what he has found in the dusty tomes, declaring he will no longer be known as 5/7, his eyes narrow as he declares himself the yellow king. you come to, your ego once again returning and lifting you from the dream. the wizened mouse approaches and asks that you give the ancient mouse time to dream alone, explaining that she will wake for the alamikos moon. you ask of the yellow king and he frowns, telling you that the mouse had come years ago and communed with the white mouse, left for several weeks and returned different, raving and mad. he says he still dwells nearby, perhaps a two day journey to the east living in the root chambers beneath an old tupelo tree, one of the few mice known capable of reading the words of men and a cautionary tale to stay away from their writings. your mind drifts to the old estate, your time spent there and your vision of it and the light shining from the little attic room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PctUKuCVCD8

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 21, 2021

Stoner Sloth

great update, gonna have to have a think but got a few ideas forming here - obviously we wanna be around when one one awakes and we want to talk to this yellow king!

beyond that we need to see if our silver sword can help treat our injured friend and chase away the darkness

thinking we also need to get to know these mice better and maybe we can plan some things out here - see if we can find other mice to welcome to the fold and help our friends, and also see if our friends can help us.

definitely thinking if they can help gather scattered mice who are in safe areas we can build on our strengths through friendship!!

vanisher

Stopped by to say I'm enjoying the story and artwork!!

Stoner Sloth

vanisher posted:

Stopped by to say I'm enjoying the story and artwork!!

yeah and the music fits well too!

also don't be shy friends, please help post ideas and things or chime in - we need your help to save these precious little mouse buddies!!

vanisher

The path is perilous but we must travel east. Perhaps a token or charm can protect or give us strength, an item that reminds us of the old house

take the moon

by sebmojo
neat update and a good song. i wonder what things look like from the yellow mouse's pov

----------------

Manifisto

great lovecraftian vibes from this update (not that the story hasn't been lovecraftian from the start). the yellow mouse has apparently read from the necronomicon or the king in yellow or something of that sort

going east sounds potentially dangerous (to our sanity) but we might learn something of value. is there anything we can bring him, in terms of a gift?

I agree we should check on how acorn is doing, and see whether the silver sword can be of any help there.

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
you tell your hosts of your plans to travel east once the sun rises, spending the rest of the night in revelry with the great oak mice and their harvest festival. they tell you of a safe haven amongst the frogs of dead mans swamp, located a day's travel to the east and the source of a small stream that travel's to the tidal river's edge and the stand of tupelo trees where the yellow king lives. that night you dream of the estate, of times long past, a dinner party with many guests marveling at the tricks of the small white mouse from across the seas. you take in the layout of the crystal chandelier and the fine silverware laid amongst the gleaming plates, while outside the wind howls and rain pelts the window panes, a crack of lightning illuminating the well tended gardens. a little girl peaks around the bannister of the grand staircase in wide eyed wonder and then scampers away up the stairs, her tiny feet pounding on the stairs as she runs to towards the attic with a small stuffed mouse grasped lovingly in her hands.

when you wake there is a breakfast laid out before you and after you've had your fill you make a visit to acorn, the brave wounded mouse. your silver sword has no healing effects on the wound but it's mere presence does make the tired little mouse wince in fear. he thanks you for your help and lays back into his bedding to rest, your friends giving you a knowing look of dread at his circumstance. you bid your goodbyes and head out into the woods, the light of dawn casting long shadows as you flit through the trees atop the nuthatch, below 1015 and 1027 bound through the underbrush on the back of the swift rabbit bramble. by nightfall you've reached the swamp's edge and the distant song of the frogs drifts across the twisted trees blanketed in moss. you dismount and begin to stretch when a lone figure rises from the waters and steps in your path, aiming a long sharpened spear at you and asking your business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVQ6176injc

Manifisto

"well met sir frog! we were just with the mice of the great oak who told us of your swamp, and we were hoping we might rest here before continuing on our journey. traveling by night is . . . well, perilous."

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

lovely update as always Luvcow!

the lovecraftian elements are great but also love the bittersweet sort of feel this story has

also think Manifisto put it well, go with that as a plan initially, if it doesn't work perhaps we can use our mindbond to help but initially lets just be friendly!

after all frogs have always been a sign of good luck in byob!!

xcheopis

If the frogs are that quick to challenge strangers, then they must be aware of the afflicted mice and perhaps have more knowledge of the Old Ones. Can frogs be afflicted, too? Does that only work on warm-blooded creatures?

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

lovely update as always Luvcow!

the lovecraftian elements are great but also love the bittersweet sort of feel this story has

also this, I think the updates keep somehow getting better

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
the frog lowers his spear and calls out to the others who rise from the water, parting ways to allow a large old bullfrog to approach you. he towers above the little mice and looks eye to eye with the rabbit, seeming to take you in before he speaks. bowing his head in respect he welcomes you to dead mans swamp, warning you that they have had several hostile visitors as of late and that the frogs have grown weary. he says you can sleep safely here tonight, leading you to the gnarled roots of an ancient cedar tree growing by the water's edge. inside there is a spacious hollow, decorated with the seeds, shells and scraps of bedding of countless other woodland visitors. he tells you that in the morning he will show you the way to the stream which runs to the tidal river but cautions you to beware of what you might find there.

you settle in for the night and as the sun fades beneath the trees the frogs begin to sing of a time long ago, before men came to the eastern shores. they sing of an island off the coast and a kingdom that stood there for thousands of years and then of the darkness that fell upon it and sank it beneath the waves. the cycle continues, now the kingdom of men falling away, overtaken by the darkness and the promise of a new day looming on the horizon if one can be lucky enough to live to see it. the song softens and lulls in a rhythmic croon and in time you sleep, dreams of the sea, waves slowly lapping upon the sand and a cool wind blowing through the grass. a peaceful slumber entwined with your small group of friends nuzzled together beneath the roots of the cedar tree. when morning comes and the blue jays sing of the rising sun the old bullfrog appears at the entrance of the hollow and asks if you're ready to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDbeqj-1XOo

xcheopis

Hot drat, do I ever love this thread.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Stoner Sloth

xcheopis posted:

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

thank our new frog friends sincerely and let them know that if they ever need our help we'll be there for them, also try to build up some ties between them and the great oak mice - working together we all stand a better chance to survive the darkness

when we're ready to depart let us follow our guide to the stream

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

thank our new frog friends sincerely and let them know that if they ever need our help we'll be there for them, also try to build up some ties between them and the great oak mice - working together we all stand a better chance to survive the darkness

when we're ready to depart let us follow our guide to the stream

I would like to ask some questions about the yellow king. what can the frogs tell us about him? is he alone or does he lead a group? is he dangerous, is he crazy, how does he react to strangers?

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

I would like to ask some questions about the yellow king. what can the frogs tell us about him? is he alone or does he lead a group? is he dangerous, is he crazy, how does he react to strangers?

sound thinking friend

e: also ask about any other dangers the frogs know of in the area maybe?

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

also, I like Manifisto's questions for the frogs, and Stoner Sloth's plan to express gratitude to them as well as potentially set up future relations between the mice of the oak and these froggos. Then I suppose we go for the stream.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Twenty Four

Tell those frogs thanks and promise to remember them every Wednesday!

Really though getting some intel on the yellow king sounds good.

City of Glompton

xcheopis posted:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
nor easter came through and destroyed our power lines/trees so it's going to be a few days till I can update, my apologies for the gap in updates, stay safe south eastern massachusetts people :ohdear:

Manifisto

sorry to hear it bud, I hope your area recovers quickly! also hope you have whatever supplies and equipment you need to get you through this.

ty nesamdoom!

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

sorry to hear it bud, I hope your area recovers quickly! also hope you have whatever supplies and equipment you need to get you through this.

this, stay safe friend!

Twenty Four

Luvcow posted:

nor easter came through and destroyed our power lines/trees so it's going to be a few days till I can update, my apologies for the gap in updates, stay safe south eastern massachusetts people :ohdear:

Not a spoiler spoiler - best wishes hope things come together!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
the old bullfrog's warnings of the yellow king resonate in your head as you navigate the banks of the small stream, cold rain pattering around you as it strikes the dead leaves littering the forest floor. at times you shelter behind a rock or large trunk from the gusts of autumn wind rending their way through the trees and you think of 5/7. at first a friend to the frogs, he had appeared long ago during the fifth of the thirteen moons, bringing with him wondrous stories of the outside world and the lands beyond the swamp. he returned every year during the same moon and every year the stories grew, including the stories of men, culled from the books he and his friends had found. till one year, his last, he'd seemed changed, lost, mad with some secret he dared not tell. and he said his goodbyes and traveled along the stream towards the sea never to return. sometimes an adventurous frog or outside woodland creature would return with tales of the yellow king, appearing during the fifth moon from his home beneath the tupelo tree, about how he gnashed his teeth, scraped at the ground and ravenously ate whatever he could find. the old bullfrog had seemed quite sad as he bid you farewell with his head head hung low, he told you to say hello to his old friend.

it's nearly sunset when you arrive, the smell of salt and marsh grass thick in the air. the rain has let up but left a path of slick mud in it's wake and ahead you can see the small copse of tupelo growing amongst the ruins of an old stone wall. the nuthatch flits down onto a large smooth rock and you scamper down to the base to meet your friends. bramble scans the area around you and twitches his ears while 1015 and 1027 pull the dead leaves and grass away. in front of you lies a small dark hole between the tupelo roots and above it there are countless scratches and scrawls, unknown symbols running in haphazard lines. 1027 steps forward and squints, quietly squeaking to himself as he reads. he tells you they're letters, scratched into the bark of the tree and darkened with the blood of a mouse's claws. "when the king of israel had read the letter, he tore his clothes and asked, am i god, killing and giving life, that this man expects me to cure a leper? surely you can see that he is seeking a quarrel with me". his voice trails off and he stands staring at the words, shivering in the cold wind, the rain dripping through his fur. beside you 1015 softly squeaks, a distant shriek echoing through the forest as the old ones wake from their sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIylUcGDi-Y

Manifisto

we've come all this way, no sense hesitating now. tell our friends to brace themselves for action, and ask the nuthatch to keep an eye out for anyone approaching from another direction. "hello? anybody home?"

ty nesamdoom!

Twenty Four

Amazing prose Luvcow.... I'm with Manifisto on this one, go for it

Ass-penny

descend into the darkness :getin:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
the nuthatch rises to the top of the tupelos and bramble pokes his head above the stone wall to survey the land, giving you an assuring nod before you descend into the depths of the yellow king's den. the passage twists beneath the ground, lit by the same phosphorescent moss you'd seen in other woodland homes, and the walls are covered in the scratches and scrawls you'd seen above the entrance. 1027 tells you most of them are gibberish, others clawed at and ripped apart over time as to render them unreadable. after some time you reach a small yellow door made from woven dry stalks of marsh grass. you pause for a moment and collect yourselves, the silver sword grasped firmly by your side, 1027 with the spear pointed ahead and 1015 gritting her teeth, prepared to once again unleash the horrors if needed. gently you push aside the door to reveal a small earthen chamber, at it's end sits a disheveled old yellow mouse deep in the dreamland. the air is musty and smells of decay and from far above you hear another shriek of the old ones as the sun finally sets and night falls across the land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nFwzg7fxc

Manifisto

I love the direction the story and the artwork have taken!

dare we risk entering the yellow king's dreams? seems mighty dangerous, it might subject us to his madness. what do other people think?

ty nesamdoom!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
We seem to be living in a world that is already subjecting us to its madness, so I think we should take the risk.

Stoner Sloth

I think we must be brave for the sake of our friends - lets enter the dreamland to talk to the yellow king!

take the moon

by sebmojo
i say full sail ahead into the yellow king's dreams

its all good what could go wrong

----------------

Robot Made of Meat

Manifisto posted:

I love the direction the story and the artwork have taken!

dare we risk entering the yellow king's dreams? seems mighty dangerous, it might subject us to his madness. what do other people think?

Who is to judge what is sense and what is madness? By entering the dreams we may find something of value.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

take the moon posted:

i say full sail ahead into the yellow king's dreams

its all good what could go wrong

I'm reminded of a popular saying in one of the D&D games I played a few years ago, "this is probably fine." honestly what is the other option here? We're not waiting for them to wake up and we're certainly not about to assault a sleeping mouse. Entering their dreamscape is the only play that makes sense to me at this juncture.