Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
My team hasn't beaten tom Brady since 2002.

I was 15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/1312967913171632131?s=19

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I wouldn't call David carr a bust he was murdered

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Can we talk about Josh Allen saying he wanted to be Derek and David Carr for a minute?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

At halftime for the snl game, tirico mentioned how the Texas teams are 1-7 right now and said "which worry you more" and dungy said the cowboys. And this still utterly baffles me for precisely this reason. If the texans are so utterly garbage that they place in the top 5, they don't even get to benefit from that. They could be garbage for maybe two or three years at this rate before they're able to recover. They have to be in the running for the most dire franchise after the lions, especially since Watson is young and still has a chance.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzQ9aeu9Uo

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Yeah that makes sense

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

I'm just going to watch this for hours now :gizz:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It is true, the Broncos did lose the first pick
Correct.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

"...are we the new Browns?" *stares into the distance*

Amazing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

losing to the browns doesn't mean you're the browns. It means you have to play against the other teams that lost to the browns to determine the browns. cowboys versus bengals december 13th. washington footballers versus bengals november 22.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cavauro posted:

losing to the browns doesn't mean you're the browns. It means you have to play against the other teams that lost to the browns to determine the browns. cowboys versus bengals december 13th. washington footballers versus bengals november 22.

putting my mortgage on the bengals

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Texans have the misfortune of a hard schedule with a garbage roster. I can't say I'm surprised they are 0-4, because with a healthy Roethlisberger all of those reams were better than the Texans last year and they got worse over the off-season

Looking at their schedule they've got the Packers (loss), Patriots (loss unless Cam is out), Lions ( the fail bowl, probably a win), Bears and Bengals.. both of those are winnable but I can see them losing one of them somehow. All 6 division games I can really see them going 1-5, but even if you want to be generous and say they split them all we are still looking at 5 or 6 wins best case. If only someone gave BoB good players

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ugh, with a Eagles victory I don’t think the Giants can win 1.5 times.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Super Bowl hangover/loss curse is real.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

when watching the game live I was under the impression that the hail mary would've worked if Kittle didn't try to catch it

https://twitter.com/versaceboyent2/status/1313110076576727040

it seems like that's really what happened

although maybe Slay would still have broken up the pass

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

There's a better angle, Slay was the one who got in there and swatted it away. Kittle going for it probably didn't help, but it probably still wouldn't have been a TD.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Chargers Twitter

This is pretty impressive:

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1313118314844033026?s=20

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Expected points added per attempt what the hell is that?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Expected Points Added (EPA) is a metric that looks at the average expected points for a drive given down and distance (historical data), then calculates the expected points for a drive given the results of the play, and then takes the difference. So every time Herbert attempted a pass, he added 0.67 to the Chargers expected points for the drive. It's an attempt to incorporate some "situational football" into normal stats - a 10 yard pass on 3 and 20 from your own 20 wouldn't be worth much EPA, for example. A sack to put you out of field goal range might cost you a lot of EPA, etc etc.

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/stats-explained/expected-points-and-epa-explained

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rooster Brooster posted:

Expected Points Added (EPA) is a metric that looks at the average expected points for a drive given down and distance (historical data), then calculates the expected points for a drive given the results of the play, and then takes the difference. So every time Herbert attempted a pass, he added 0.67 to the Chargers expected points for the drive. It's an attempt to incorporate some "situational football" into normal stats - a 10 yard pass on 3 and 20 from your own 20 wouldn't be worth much EPA, for example. A sack to put you out of field goal range might cost you a lot of EPA, etc etc.

http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/stats-explained/expected-points-and-epa-explained
Ok. I read the words and barely get it but it means Herbert was good relative to other QBs against those defenses so... yay?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy to have finally reached the point where I think there's Too Many stats

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Chris James 2 posted:

Welcome, friend

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chris James 2 posted:

eyeball test

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

You pretty much have to expect that rookie QBs are going to throw INTs in those sorts of situations.
nah

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

eyeball test

My eyeballs say Herbert looks good!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tannehill looked good this week

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sure, Drew Lock didn't throw any touchdowns this week but he also didn't have any interceptions! That's pretty good!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ehud posted:

eyeball test

Exactly. I know that when I look at a QB like Mitch Trubisky I know he's extremely bad. when I look at Tom Brady I know he's a cheater. I don't need "advanced stats" to reinforce what I see and know.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChefTrillie/status/1312853373922750467?s=19

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

CannonFodder posted:

Ok. I read the words and barely get it but it means Herbert was good relative to other QBs against those defenses so... yay?

Yes he did good! One big problem with EPA and many other of the "advanced" metrics is that they are very hard to look at and understand relative good/bad-ness without having studied/used them a ton. "He gained 0.76 EPA per play" doesn't have the same immediate "wow factor" as "he gained 15 yards per pass attempt".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that the Texans don't have a 1st or 2nd pick because

quote:

Houston → Miami (PD). Houston traded first- and second-round selections, a 2020 first-round selection, as well as offensive tackle Julién Davenport and defensive back Johnson Bademosi to Miami in exchange for wide receiver Kenny Stills, offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, and 2020 fourth- and sixth-round selections

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ehud posted:

eyeball test

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rooster Brooster posted:

no, no that's fake. i think those numbers are made up.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Alaois posted:

no, no that's fake. i think those numbers are made up.

:hmmorks:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Why not? that's why you don't see stuff like rookie QBs winning the SB. Rookie QBs will throw lots of picks and turnovers in bad situations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Why not? that's why you don't see stuff like rookie QBs winning the SB. Rookie QBs will throw lots of picks and turnovers in bad situations.

So do vets

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
In my experience rookies average .5 interceptions a game and even that is just because a stupid tight end thinks you catch fades with your facemask.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kyle_Odegard/status/1313215001331597312

I feel like you're not a good coach if you have to say this but you're a bad one if it's true and you don't say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I feel like an Air Raid coach not having a plan to go vertical is a contradiction in terms anyway what the hell