Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ECO
Enter the world of Eco, a fully simulated ecosystem bustling with thousands of growing plants and animals living their lives. Build, harvest, and take resources from an environment where your every action affects the world around you. An imminent meteor strike threatens global destruction. Can you save the world without destroying it in the process?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/382310/Eco/

It's like Minecraft but with huge playercounts and a focus on environmentalism. It's fun and has come a long way in early access.

I have a server spun up at
172.124.105.7:3000
and a discord at
https://discord.gg/VM2exDz

Server should hold 100ish people and it's fresh as of this morning so everyone can start off on the same foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galahad
Oct 13, 2004
This game is really fun. Thanks for posting this. How long have you been playing? I'm still new to the game.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I've not played this yet, but it has seemed really interesting every time I've looked at it. Is it possible to play solo or co-op?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TescoBag posted:

I've not played this yet, but it has seemed really interesting every time I've looked at it. Is it possible to play solo or co-op?

I think everyone plays solo but works towards communal server goals, gotta stop that meteor in 30 days.

thirdtuesday
Jan 1, 2007
Penny Loaded Advice
Looks interesting, I might have to try it out. Thanks for posting this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah it's fun so far the building is much more intuitive than Minecraft, however we need way more people there are alot of specializations out there and so few of us.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So our first constitution is up for voting on the servers website
http://172.124.105.7:3001/
btw that site is build into the server tools and is incredible.

I left everything default for now but I fully intend to vote fully tree hugging communism once we figure out enough to even make that happen. The server is only on day 2/3 and there is plenty of land etc available for people if they want.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

We've built our first road around the world and have started getting actual trucks/tractors, one day we might figure out how you actually stop this meteor. I've setup a distribution point on the capital and marked it for everyone for new players to get some supplies they need.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any Goons still playing?

Some friends and I played quite a bit last year, but we're currently waiting for Patch 10.0

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Annath posted:

Any Goons still playing?

Some friends and I played quite a bit last year, but we're currently waiting for Patch 10.0

On-and-off, depending on what the friend group is playing. It's in such a weird place though where you either have to really enjoy playing "alone" on an MP server while also bartering with a bunch of other people OR have a large enough group that's willing to play basically every day for a few weeks which is always dicey.

Further, a group that joins an open server can completely dominate everything early if they want to while playing with a group on a private server basically voids any challenge if you play communally as none of the environment effects will ever matter.

Game's fun and when it all clicks together it's really something magical but that's unfortunately very rare.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rynoto posted:

On-and-off, depending on what the friend group is playing. It's in such a weird place though where you either have to really enjoy playing "alone" on an MP server while also bartering with a bunch of other people OR have a large enough group that's willing to play basically every day for a few weeks which is always dicey.

Further, a group that joins an open server can completely dominate everything early if they want to while playing with a group on a private server basically voids any challenge if you play communally as none of the environment effects will ever matter.

Game's fun and when it all clicks together it's really something magical but that's unfortunately very rare.

Yeah, our group had a blast, but it ultimately fell apart.

Myself and one other guy (an IRL friend) were kinda doing our own thing, and ended up having kind of a monopoly on manufacturing. We wanted to just share resources with the rest of the group, with the goal of stopping the asteroid, but the rest of the players voted to implement currency and start selling things instead.

So, because we were making components for just about everything, we slowly accumulated more and more of the currency, and eventually it just imploded lol.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I've had similar problems to what you've described:

Nearly every server I've played on goes the same way: one or two people control the economy at the beginning by virtue of being the server's only Carpenter or Mason, while everybody else finds that their profession has been driven to rock bottom prices, and apart from the occasional sale they basically just become resource farmers for the server's big person for 4 days. By that point the economy sort of reaches a decent equilibrium, and is pretty fun, but most of the independent people bleed off and you're left with 1, maybe 2 "main camps" based around 3 players each which functionally become entirely self sufficient ecosystems and a few remaining loners in the wilderness. The game slows down just after steel/the beginning of Oil, and at that point the remaining groups have to decide whether to drag themselves to the end or call for a server reset.

I hear that some of the biggest servers can avoid this problem by being extremely regulated and/or cranking the difficulty settings way up, but otherwise I find that Eco generally works better as a cooperative game for 5-6 people and you either alter the world map settings to make pollution more of a problem or accept that that part of the game's just not going to be a threat.

Would love to join a goon group, though. As Rynoto says, it's a magical game when everything lines up just right.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Bringing this back from the dead because the new update which adds a whole bunch of stuff is releasing December 12th, and I saw that at least a couple people on various discords were interested in it. The hope for a goon server is eternal, but at the very least thought people ought to know.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This looks very interesting, i might see if i can find some decent longplays on youtube to see how the gameplay is.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I have a group of about 10 people who we'll pop a server up for. We used to have it with just us as a group, but last time opened it publically and it was decent. We'll probably do that again - it'll be an option for people and I'll post details here. I think everyone will be spoilt for choice though: I think this update is make or break for the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just discovered this game and I might dig into it a bit! Would love to find a low-key server (happy to contribute to costs or even run the hosting), especially if my kids and wife could maybe join in periodically.

What should I do to learn stuff before the big version 10 drop?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Subjunctive posted:

Just discovered this game and I might dig into it a bit! Would love to find a low-key server (happy to contribute to costs or even run the hosting), especially if my kids and wife could maybe join in periodically.

What should I do to learn stuff before the big version 10 drop?

I'd say to just learn how the system works, Logging would probably be the simplest start option, since it'd give you the materials you need to build your own house and you could pick up the other aspects of the game from there. Find a server that's still on an early day and just stake out a plot of land where you can mess around gathering resources and seeing how things go together. Gathering could also be good for that, since it encourages you to roam around and explore the world, seeing what's in all the various biomes. Either of those options would be a good learning experience, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is that better than just loving around on a personal server for a bit? It sounds more fun, tbqh, but then I have to choose and so forth

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Server play is a completely different beast than solo and even between servers things can change drastically based on the settings and 'soft' rules.

Would suggest finding a small-ish server with easy settings and playing social because that aspect is where the game shines. Once you've got the basics can jump into large, stricter servers - they'll likely reset soon anyways.

The next big update is specifically for large servers so gotta get used to them.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 9, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Game updated and tried out a new server. Initial thoughts before I go to bed:

They made the early-game (and possibly the game in general) a lot more interconnected and less subject to skips without coordinated effort. You literally can't make BU1s now without two base level gathering professions working together and dumping mats into a research table. You literally can't research anything without having a dedicated base level gathering person's labor. This is good for the kind of experience that the game wants to be, but it does sort of force you to play in larger groups.

Town formation is... I won't say it was super-intuitive, but once you know how it works is easy. We managed to do it Day 1, and the replacement of the claims system means that as long as you want more than 16 claims, it's always beneficial to make a town even if you plan on running it super laissez-faire.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 13, 2023

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

I've put a server up - The IP is 109.123.108.97:3010, entitled "Yee Valley".

All very welcome!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Aloha, question:

I am trying to fish, I have a pole, and when I click, hold, release, I wave the rod up then down but it doesn't cast. Am I missing something?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This game sounds absolutely fascinating, but it also sounds like "Performace anxiety: the game". Is there a nice Lets-play that somebody could recommend to watch before I give it a try?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Tombot posted:

This game sounds absolutely fascinating, but it also sounds like "Performace anxiety: the game". Is there a nice Lets-play that somebody could recommend to watch before I give it a try?

What's worrying you in particular? It's one of the most chilled games I've ever played.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well the description of the game is that you need to stop a meteor before it destroys the planet, while simultaneously making sure you don't destroy the natural world with my efforts. That's a lot of pressure!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Easiest solution is to make greenhouse gases so thick that it absorbs the impact of the meteor. We're saved!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's pretty hard to not stop the meteor if the group is even remotely competent and active. If you're playing on a public server don't sweat it and just do what you want in your chosen field.

Destroying the biosphere is easier in this update without world governments but even then it's still something you have to pretty intentionally try to do as there are plenty of ways to mitigate pollution.

Of course intentionally doing it does make the game more fun so go hog wild.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
When I played with some friends like a year and a half ago we kept producing horrible toxic slag, so we dug huge pits in the desert and buried it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Should also mention to not be afraid of joining a server that's already progressed past the early stages. If they're on strict skill settings then it means you have a ready-made niche picking up mid-to-late game 'starting' skills and immediately being useful. Older players will have points locked up in earlier professions that can make it harder to branch out. Later foods also help boost skill gain to help you catch up.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 15, 2023

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

We're several days in now and have had a good low-teens population throughout. We've had a lot of people new to the game appear and they've settled in wonderfully. We're treating the meteor as a suspicious pest rather than an existential threat...

We did have an issue with world generation but got personalised help from one of the devs after they dropped into my Twitch chat.

Amazing, really.

Come and join in! You really can't get it wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A bit confused by the tutorial. It wants me to build a house, which I did, but it doesn't want to mark it as complete. I feel like I've hit all the criteria - it's fully enclosed with walls and a ceiling (and floors) and it's on land I made sure to claim with the land-claimer thing. Any ideas?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Countblanc posted:

A bit confused by the tutorial. It wants me to build a house, which I did, but it doesn't want to mark it as complete. I feel like I've hit all the criteria - it's fully enclosed with walls and a ceiling (and floors) and it's on land I made sure to claim with the land-claimer thing. Any ideas?

It looks like you've got some dirt under walls - you need to remove that I think? We had that as an issue on our server before.

Don't forget each step of the tutorial can be skipped with no harm either - it could just be bugged...

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

socialsecurity posted:

I have a server spun up at
172.124.105.7:3000
and a discord at
https://discord.gg/VM2exDz

Server should hold 100ish people and it's fresh as of this morning so everyone can start off on the same foot.

Bought the game and wanted to hop in but getting a timeout

Curl error 6: Could not resolve host: cdp.cloud.unity3d.com
[01:44:30.289] Connecting to 172.124.105.7:3000...

Did I join too late?

edit: looked lower in thread and saw - 109.123.108.97:3010. That one seems to work
edit2: got to the 'look for the meteror in the sky' step in the tutorial and game crashed

Danith fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 16, 2023

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Danith posted:

Bought the game and wanted to hop in but getting a timeout

Curl error 6: Could not resolve host: cdp.cloud.unity3d.com
[01:44:30.289] Connecting to 172.124.105.7:3000...

Did I join too late?

edit: looked lower in thread and saw - 109.123.108.97:3010. That one seems to work
edit2: got to the 'look for the meteror in the sky' step in the tutorial and game crashed

Hi! Looks like you've joined ours, which is a different server to the one originally posted.

There does seem to be a crash for most players (msyelf included) about five minutes into the first session. Not sure why. But it's not crashed for me since! I see you've joined the Discord so I'll say hi there too.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
So, creating upgrades is sort of a shift in priorities now. While four or less different professionals could accommodate everyone's needs, now the upgrade development path is asking for research from almost a dozen different sources.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to put up purchase listings for pages in your stores, because you're unlikely to find finished upgrades for sale in the wild unless someone's running a gimmick as a librarian or something.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Blastinus posted:

So, creating upgrades is sort of a shift in priorities now. While four or less different professionals could accommodate everyone's needs, now the upgrade development path is asking for research from almost a dozen different sources.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to put up purchase listings for pages in your stores, because you're unlikely to find finished upgrades for sale in the wild unless someone's running a gimmick as a librarian or something.

That's what work parties on the boards are so useful for - it's all worked really well so far as long as people check the boards or are proactive in asking people.

It was good to see you on the server yesterday, thanks for playing.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

That's what work parties on the boards are so useful for - it's all worked really well so far as long as people check the boards or are proactive in asking people.

It was good to see you on the server yesterday, thanks for playing.

Oh yeah, I'm eager to become a bigger and better cook as that game progresses.

I had a conversation with a couple other folks about this, and it might help a lot to set up a distribution station handing out Research Tables for free. Either that or, like you said, have a Contract Board in a central place where everyone can post requests. Probably in front of the town hall. Just really drill into people that everyone needs to be contributing to research.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my favorite part of eco is playing road crew and connecting up the larger settlements, so what i tend to do is build myself enough house that my xp gets boosted near a larger settlement then go about connecting up roads, putting down sign posts etc. take out my cart full of road stuff then take it back and dump any contributions into the town pile. you want to make the roads as straight as possible because you lose a lot of speed turning

just got to the "i have a house now" stage so i can start going out and doing that. there are some roads that connect the two large settlements nearby but they need some love

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Al! posted:

my favorite part of eco is playing road crew and connecting up the larger settlements

Not all heroes wear capes. It's really one of the best things about this game is that you can have that one thing you enjoy doing and it just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Rynoto posted:

Not all heroes wear capes.

Yeah, of course not, that's a backpack slot you could be using!

(I wish that capes were a cosmetic overlay instead.)