Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I spent my first star on something I didn't want and now I have to wait an entire day to get another one.

edit: The Very Nice server admin allowed me to respec my first star. Also I brought down the time it takes to get the next star by about half. Still pretty slow, but at least tomorrow I'll be able to do a gather/craft combo like Logging/Carpentry.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Danith posted:

Bought the game and wanted to hop in but getting a timeout

Curl error 6: Could not resolve host: cdp.cloud.unity3d.com
[01:44:30.289] Connecting to 172.124.105.7:3000...

Did I join too late?

edit: looked lower in thread and saw - 109.123.108.97:3010. That one seems to work
edit2: got to the 'look for the meteror in the sky' step in the tutorial and game crashed

Ah yeah man that was like over a year ago that servers long gone.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Well, we realised the previous worldgen made the game unwinnable, so we've restarted the server today.

We've picked up some really great people from this thread, so if you're curious pop along and say hi.

The IP is 109.123.108.97:3010, entitled "Yee Valley".

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Well, we realised the previous worldgen made the game unwinnable, so we've restarted the server today.

We've picked up some really great people from this thread, so if you're curious pop along and say hi.

The IP is 109.123.108.97:3010, entitled "Yee Valley".

Yeah, that's why I dropped off. I hopped into the server, and the population listing for animals and plants had a long string of zeroes. That's not generally a good thing. Hopefully, worldgen will be a lot more merciful for this iteration.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Blastinus posted:

Yeah, that's why I dropped off. I hopped into the server, and the population listing for animals and plants had a long string of zeroes. That's not generally a good thing. Hopefully, worldgen will be a lot more merciful for this iteration.

Yup, it's vastly better.

night yorb
Apr 21, 2023
Hey Eco gamers, just wanted to pop in here and mention that there is a streamer (chocoTaco) who puts up a yearly Eco server around this time of year each year. The server will be going live on Monday, January 8th around 11am PST and more information can be found on his community discord (you don't need to be a sub to play!!). With all the changes brought in by the most recent 10.0 update, things are probably going to be pretty wild this playthrough of the game. It's a great chance to throw yourself head-first into a large community setting and see what breaks/what works/what chaos is born.

chocoTaco's initial stream of the game is what got me into it in the first place and I played for a small amount of time in last year's server. Feels kind of like a "you won't want to miss this" experience to me, either as a participant or just someone interested in the game.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I can check it out if we have at least some presence there. I've tried playing Eco with pubs and they are so weird.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Tentatively interested. I tried the 10.0 update out on some disparate servers for about 2 weeks-ish but they ended up collapsing due to being based around mid-sized populations that couldn't handle the drop off after a couple of days of play time. A moderate size Goon group within a large server might just be stable enough to work.

...but on the other hand that does mean I spent a lot of my year so far already playing Eco with very little to show for it. We'll see.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 7, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wish that were starting on a weekend or evening instead of the middle of the workday!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

That streamer dude's discord has 12k people in it, part of me doubts it'll even be possible to get in on that server with an audience that size?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

It certainly won't run well - there have been lots of issues with large servers (or attempted large servers), looking at the Discord.

Good luck with it.

The server I previously posted about is now electronicing and other fun things - if you've not played with those toys and/or large boats, it is never too late to join in.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm giving it a try. I'm around 162, 1731. Got Logging, going into Basic Engineering.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I'm also on it. It's surprisingly stable especially compared to last year's chocotaco eco server which was unplayable for the first 12 hours because every time someone new joined they'd have to download all of the mods and the server just hung and didn't process any actions during this time.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It will probably crash and burn due to nobody cleaning up debris. Or making giant walls made out of trash. Or running out of food. (Nobody seems to know that Taro is food).

dipwood fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 9, 2024

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The food situation is pretty dire already and, at least where I live, all natural sources of wood are gone. I've been canoeing back and forth across the ocean for the past hour to get logs.

It rules. It's like a game where you get to be an Age of Empires 2 villager unit.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Within an hour of me picking my homestead area, 2 people surrounded me and both went Logging (I was Logging too). I even picked a heavily wooded area, and it's all gone.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Joined dipwood's area as a gatherer (although I feel like I've sold way too many logs already), with the hopes of turning this into the rice and mushroom capitol of the world.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

It's really hard to find wild fruit right now, if you have any territory that can sustain a huckleberry bush I absolutely recommend trying to get some planted. Same for papaya tree.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

We're at the crossroads of 3 biomes so pretty much anything can be grown here. I also lucked one and someone was bartering Basic Engineering scrolls for... a handful of seeds.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
buddy and i did a medium-sweaty game of eco, 2 man server so star gain was cranked up a bit. defeated the meteor in 19 days

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If all you care about is making fat stacks of credit/coins then farming and cooking on a medium-to-large server will let you rule over the town, doling out your gifts to mankind.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Really wish this game wasn't designed around big populations.
I'd much rather play this like Minecraft, alone and depressed.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Rynoto posted:

If all you care about is making fat stacks of credit/coins then farming and cooking on a medium-to-large server will let you rule over the town, doling out your gifts to mankind.

It's crazy the amount of people that do not care about EXP gain and are totally fine having 3 stars for 10 days.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Inzombiac posted:

Really wish this game wasn't designed around big populations.
I'd much rather play this like Minecraft, alone and depressed.

Such are the wonders of server manipulation! As Al! demonstrated above, you can just tweak all the difficulty settings so that you can do everything yourself over a full month/45 days or longer if you don't want to be super uptight about it.

dipwood posted:

It's crazy the amount of people that do not care about EXP gain and are totally fine having 3 stars for 10 days.

I think it's because most people settle into a role and are content to just keep providing for that role rather than trying to expand, especially when they don't have a pivot that supplements things very well without putting in a lot more time. For instance, in the server we're on, just arranging for raw food growth feels like a herculean task so I don't feel super motivated to grab anything beyond Gatherer/Farmer and Fertilizers (and even that mostly to be an AU2 bot). But I've also been on servers where I was a Miner who was super impatient and was annoyed that my 5th star wasn't accumulating fast enough.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 10, 2024

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Jossar I actually ran into your farm earlier today, on this server, because I was trying to source camas bulbs and you have some of the only bulbs left in the world AFAICT.

It's going to be an interesting t2 push :cheers:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

12 rats tied together posted:

Jossar I actually ran into your farm earlier today, on this server, because I was trying to source camas bulbs and you have some of the only bulbs left in the world AFAICT.

It's going to be an interesting t2 push :cheers:
:wave:

Yeah, we're starting to hit the end of any sizable population of vegetables outside farms, but I think things are going to turn around within the next day or two as farms start really coming online and people get access to the mid/higher level basic upgrades in larger numbers for additional seed production.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Agreed, I'm farming up northeast of you at banana hamlet, and thanks to the miner in this town I have a triple terraced private farm and then the town has 2 terraced public farm spots.

If you end up with extra camas I'd be happy to trade some of the stuff we can grow up here: flax, crimini mushrooms. I have so much flax, I was ready for everyone in the world to need it for lumber, but I was too early and now the town is starving and the flax is inedible.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm currently Logging/Basic Engineering. I have a sawmill that converted 1700 wood pulp into sweet, sweet boards. As well as a Logging Upgrade on my carp table for super cheap hewn logs (and boards). But I'm not sure how to proceed. All of the engineer/industrial paths require an iron supply, and I'm not anywhere near any deserts. It's possible to find iron in grasslands but it's pretty negligible and not reliable. The original plan going in was to take Carpentry 3rd and hope to source some nails and flaxseed oil for lumber, but now the town has two other carpenters, and nobody around here seems to have a plan for iron.

Also, still eating nothing but charred taro and charred mushrooms. I'm guessing none of the cooks have enough of a supply to feed anyone other than themselves.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 10, 2024

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Cooks are in a bad spot right now (and for a while longer) because they need food to produce food, so they need to buy their inputs in order to stay open, but their inputs basically don't exist anymore outside of private farms.

It will hopefully get better once someone establishes a currency? But then the currency needs to be distributed, otherwise it's worthless (last year's choco eco server went through 3+ currencies before one of them finally stuck). I think the food not existing will be a problem for a while.

As for iron, we're doing iron up in banana hamlet, and you can probably trade us wood for it because the island we live on has no wood left. I'm not sure when the iron goes up public sale, but someone gave me an iron hoe earlier this evening, so hopefully soon. It's a pretty quick boat ride (pretty sure you live near Jossar?) but you would have to walk to the east edge of your island first.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Jossar and I are in the same town. Maybe we could reach a deal with you guys to trade wood for iron? Or even wood products, like hewn logs and boards (lordy I have a lot of boards).

We could probably make a road to that east edge and cart over products for now. There's also a boating shop in that area and the person there expressed interest in a common currency. But yeah unless I get an iron supplier, not much I can do engineer-wise. Also, our town is currently planting a lot of... taro... I should probably gently nudge them into the direction of flax, wheat, beets/huckleberries, and to a lesser extent corn. Not sure what else is super relevant other than some other re-growing plants. Cotton maybe.

edit: rats, who are you ingame?

Also, another one of my neighbors went carp... Maybe I should just move.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 10, 2024

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just picked this up. Ya'll still on the streamer server?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I am "fortnite banana", still on the streamer server, trying to not let banana hamlet's population starve into inactivity.

The town to the east of you, with Triv and his horrible looking shop, are some friends of mine from other eco servers and they are pretty competent / friendly. You can probably work out a roads deal with them!

Feel free to also dm me on there, the server* if you want to discuss anything interactively.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Sure. I dug 53 levels into the ground and found some iron. I am going full sicko mode into Smelting. I'm sure this is a good idea.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

server went down.

my brothers in christs, we (me) are starving. jossar, make your pumpkins grow faster so I can steal them.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

finally calorie positive, spent a lot of time wandering well-scavenged jungle for papayas. gathered enough to make a bow and hunt / cook some stuff.

neato game, pretty rough on new players though. maybe its just this server's config.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It's generally not meant for this many people. We can probably set up some sort of new player disbursement area. Fish are (probably) infinite at least. Tomorrow is likely when most of the farming will start paying off. Next time I'm on, I can get you enough food to not worry about it for a bit (because I have enough Jossar credits to buy out his store several times).

I'm screwed if I run out of iron in my grasslands hole.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 11, 2024

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Jumping into this server on day 3 though is definitely way harder than the game normally is. You might be able to find a town looking for helpful people, especially if you didn't spend your star yet and you don't mind spending it at the town's request.

The choco eco servers only happen once a year so they're worth doing even if you're late just because they tend to be really fun and interesting (maybe not "good" or "successful"). Hopefully you like the game enough to stick around in some of the other servers that crop up after, it's a pretty small community overall so we'll probably keep bumping into each other. :)

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Whelp, put in some time today. It's... very compelling, but pretty difficult to hop into. I spent a couple hours not being able to pick things up because I didn't realize there was an inventory weight cap. Then I went butchery without realizing someone else in town out produces me on that front by probably an order of magnitude. If anyone needs meats in our town, shop local. :smith: Hopefully will be able to expand into cooking tomorrow.

I'm calling it for the night because I can't interact with any object after it spawns, including fallen trees, hunted creatures, and my most recently made canoe.

Thanks for the starter stuff Dipwood!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Yeah, a major complaint I have about the current state of eco is the basic/advanced/modern upgrade chain is kind of the main point of progression outside of just directly teching to end the game, but it also results in slippery-slope advantage for people who have them.

It's a little bit better in 10.0 because food is a real problem now and the upgrade chains have been diversified somewhat, but I would really prefer if the upgrades were way harder to make in exchange for slotting into a town and applying their bonus in the entire town's radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Food's always been a big problem if you care about the xp bonus, although contrarily there's never been anything stopping people from just accepting terrible xp rates and just living off thousands of Boiled Grains for the entirety of the playthrough once the farms start working. In fact, usually I just accept my lot and try to compensate for it to some extent via housing. This time I'm doing the opposite... and even as a Cook (albeit a pre-Advanced Upgrade one) I'm finding that it's hard to keep the bonus up if you're really active. Logging off early tonight (with an exception for coming back on later to grab some huckleberries) specifically because doing anything else is too calorie-expensive relative to any goals that I'd have in mind.