Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Annath posted:

Any Goons still playing?

Some friends and I played quite a bit last year, but we're currently waiting for Patch 10.0

On-and-off, depending on what the friend group is playing. It's in such a weird place though where you either have to really enjoy playing "alone" on an MP server while also bartering with a bunch of other people OR have a large enough group that's willing to play basically every day for a few weeks which is always dicey.

Further, a group that joins an open server can completely dominate everything early if they want to while playing with a group on a private server basically voids any challenge if you play communally as none of the environment effects will ever matter.

Game's fun and when it all clicks together it's really something magical but that's unfortunately very rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Server play is a completely different beast than solo and even between servers things can change drastically based on the settings and 'soft' rules.

Would suggest finding a small-ish server with easy settings and playing social because that aspect is where the game shines. Once you've got the basics can jump into large, stricter servers - they'll likely reset soon anyways.

The next big update is specifically for large servers so gotta get used to them.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 9, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's pretty hard to not stop the meteor if the group is even remotely competent and active. If you're playing on a public server don't sweat it and just do what you want in your chosen field.

Destroying the biosphere is easier in this update without world governments but even then it's still something you have to pretty intentionally try to do as there are plenty of ways to mitigate pollution.

Of course intentionally doing it does make the game more fun so go hog wild.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Should also mention to not be afraid of joining a server that's already progressed past the early stages. If they're on strict skill settings then it means you have a ready-made niche picking up mid-to-late game 'starting' skills and immediately being useful. Older players will have points locked up in earlier professions that can make it harder to branch out. Later foods also help boost skill gain to help you catch up.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 15, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Al! posted:

my favorite part of eco is playing road crew and connecting up the larger settlements

Not all heroes wear capes. It's really one of the best things about this game is that you can have that one thing you enjoy doing and it just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If all you care about is making fat stacks of credit/coins then farming and cooking on a medium-to-large server will let you rule over the town, doling out your gifts to mankind.