Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Subjunctive posted:

Just discovered this game and I might dig into it a bit! Would love to find a low-key server (happy to contribute to costs or even run the hosting), especially if my kids and wife could maybe join in periodically.

What should I do to learn stuff before the big version 10 drop?

I'd say to just learn how the system works, Logging would probably be the simplest start option, since it'd give you the materials you need to build your own house and you could pick up the other aspects of the game from there. Find a server that's still on an early day and just stake out a plot of land where you can mess around gathering resources and seeing how things go together. Gathering could also be good for that, since it encourages you to roam around and explore the world, seeing what's in all the various biomes. Either of those options would be a good learning experience, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
So, creating upgrades is sort of a shift in priorities now. While four or less different professionals could accommodate everyone's needs, now the upgrade development path is asking for research from almost a dozen different sources.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to put up purchase listings for pages in your stores, because you're unlikely to find finished upgrades for sale in the wild unless someone's running a gimmick as a librarian or something.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

That's what work parties on the boards are so useful for - it's all worked really well so far as long as people check the boards or are proactive in asking people.

It was good to see you on the server yesterday, thanks for playing.

Oh yeah, I'm eager to become a bigger and better cook as that game progresses.

I had a conversation with a couple other folks about this, and it might help a lot to set up a distribution station handing out Research Tables for free. Either that or, like you said, have a Contract Board in a central place where everyone can post requests. Probably in front of the town hall. Just really drill into people that everyone needs to be contributing to research.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Well, we realised the previous worldgen made the game unwinnable, so we've restarted the server today.

We've picked up some really great people from this thread, so if you're curious pop along and say hi.

The IP is 109.123.108.97:3010, entitled "Yee Valley".

Yeah, that's why I dropped off. I hopped into the server, and the population listing for animals and plants had a long string of zeroes. That's not generally a good thing. Hopefully, worldgen will be a lot more merciful for this iteration.