Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I've had similar problems to what you've described:

Nearly every server I've played on goes the same way: one or two people control the economy at the beginning by virtue of being the server's only Carpenter or Mason, while everybody else finds that their profession has been driven to rock bottom prices, and apart from the occasional sale they basically just become resource farmers for the server's big person for 4 days. By that point the economy sort of reaches a decent equilibrium, and is pretty fun, but most of the independent people bleed off and you're left with 1, maybe 2 "main camps" based around 3 players each which functionally become entirely self sufficient ecosystems and a few remaining loners in the wilderness. The game slows down just after steel/the beginning of Oil, and at that point the remaining groups have to decide whether to drag themselves to the end or call for a server reset.

I hear that some of the biggest servers can avoid this problem by being extremely regulated and/or cranking the difficulty settings way up, but otherwise I find that Eco generally works better as a cooperative game for 5-6 people and you either alter the world map settings to make pollution more of a problem or accept that that part of the game's just not going to be a threat.

Would love to join a goon group, though. As Rynoto says, it's a magical game when everything lines up just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Bringing this back from the dead because the new update which adds a whole bunch of stuff is releasing December 12th, and I saw that at least a couple people on various discords were interested in it. The hope for a goon server is eternal, but at the very least thought people ought to know.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Game updated and tried out a new server. Initial thoughts before I go to bed:

They made the early-game (and possibly the game in general) a lot more interconnected and less subject to skips without coordinated effort. You literally can't make BU1s now without two base level gathering professions working together and dumping mats into a research table. You literally can't research anything without having a dedicated base level gathering person's labor. This is good for the kind of experience that the game wants to be, but it does sort of force you to play in larger groups.

Town formation is... I won't say it was super-intuitive, but once you know how it works is easy. We managed to do it Day 1, and the replacement of the claims system means that as long as you want more than 16 claims, it's always beneficial to make a town even if you plan on running it super laissez-faire.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 13, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Rynoto posted:

Not all heroes wear capes.

Yeah, of course not, that's a backpack slot you could be using!

(I wish that capes were a cosmetic overlay instead.)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Tentatively interested. I tried the 10.0 update out on some disparate servers for about 2 weeks-ish but they ended up collapsing due to being based around mid-sized populations that couldn't handle the drop off after a couple of days of play time. A moderate size Goon group within a large server might just be stable enough to work.

...but on the other hand that does mean I spent a lot of my year so far already playing Eco with very little to show for it. We'll see.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 7, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Joined dipwood's area as a gatherer (although I feel like I've sold way too many logs already), with the hopes of turning this into the rice and mushroom capitol of the world.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Inzombiac posted:

Really wish this game wasn't designed around big populations.
I'd much rather play this like Minecraft, alone and depressed.

Such are the wonders of server manipulation! As Al! demonstrated above, you can just tweak all the difficulty settings so that you can do everything yourself over a full month/45 days or longer if you don't want to be super uptight about it.

dipwood posted:

It's crazy the amount of people that do not care about EXP gain and are totally fine having 3 stars for 10 days.

I think it's because most people settle into a role and are content to just keep providing for that role rather than trying to expand, especially when they don't have a pivot that supplements things very well without putting in a lot more time. For instance, in the server we're on, just arranging for raw food growth feels like a herculean task so I don't feel super motivated to grab anything beyond Gatherer/Farmer and Fertilizers (and even that mostly to be an AU2 bot). But I've also been on servers where I was a Miner who was super impatient and was annoyed that my 5th star wasn't accumulating fast enough.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 10, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

12 rats tied together posted:

Jossar I actually ran into your farm earlier today, on this server, because I was trying to source camas bulbs and you have some of the only bulbs left in the world AFAICT.

It's going to be an interesting t2 push :cheers:
:wave:

Yeah, we're starting to hit the end of any sizable population of vegetables outside farms, but I think things are going to turn around within the next day or two as farms start really coming online and people get access to the mid/higher level basic upgrades in larger numbers for additional seed production.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Food's always been a big problem if you care about the xp bonus, although contrarily there's never been anything stopping people from just accepting terrible xp rates and just living off thousands of Boiled Grains for the entirety of the playthrough once the farms start working. In fact, usually I just accept my lot and try to compensate for it to some extent via housing. This time I'm doing the opposite... and even as a Cook (albeit a pre-Advanced Upgrade one) I'm finding that it's hard to keep the bonus up if you're really active. Logging off early tonight (with an exception for coming back on later to grab some huckleberries) specifically because doing anything else is too calorie-expensive relative to any goals that I'd have in mind.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Speaking of Farming...

Between all these tiered farms of Camas Bulbs and Huckleberry Bushes, I have managed to totally deplete my soil's Potassium and will have to engage with the Fertilizer mechanic properly for once.

The horror.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Good luck, gonna try to feed some cotton, but it's all the way down in the swamp and it feels like you need a huge field to get any decent return on it.

And yeah, I'm usually really indifferent on currency, but unfortunately it only holds up when you can get a good chain or arbitrage from running around going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I think I'm done at this point, kind of getting boring shoveling out huckleberries which are mostly bought by people doing arbitrage, especially as the game is now only a couple of days away from completion.

Nevertheless, thanks to everybody (especially dipwood) with whom I interacted with this time around.