Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondster
May 6, 2007

This was already some good poo poo on episode 1, but episode 2 from Gojou to the Principal being voiced by Kiryu Kazama to that ED this is becoming some realllllly great poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sindai posted:

Gojou is...extremely Kakashi at first glance.

Gojou is what Kakashi wishes he could be.

Also yeah, this anime rocks. I'm surprised at how good it looks, I hope the animation quality stays because it's making an already great manga even better.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bondster posted:

This was already some good poo poo on episode 1, but episode 2 from Gojou to the Principal being voiced by Kiryu Kazama to that ED this is becoming some realllllly great poo poo.

OH I thought he sounded familiar!
OHHHHHH

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quick reminder that Takaya Kuroda is not only the voice but also the physical likeness inspiration for Kiryu (which is what probably ended up getting him the part in the first place).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I really liked some of the changes made from the manga in the second episode. Rather than just chilling on a park bench, the conversation between Gojo and Itadori takes place while he's finishing the funeral rites for his grandfather and picking up his bones. Kinda conveys Itadori's feelings at the moment better I think.

I think the conversation with the principal doesn't quite underscore that basically being mentally unwell is pretty much a requirement for the job. You have to be a person who can generate negative feelings/thoughts powerful enough to use your jujutsu, but also be able to control/use them and stay at least somewhat rational. And the job pretty much has you consistently in proximity to death and the worst parts of humanity. You have to have something wrong with you to do it, but someone has to do it.

If you're not a manga reader this is something to really keep in mind- anyone who's a Jujutsu Sorcerer in this story, "good guy" or not, they all have something very deeply wrong with them (or are suffering terribly, even if it's quietly) and that's literally where their power comes from.

One of the reasons I like it a lot is that it could very easily take the above ^ and slide into super edgy territory because it does get pretty dark at times, but it uses humor really well to break up what could be unrelenting tragedy and kinda keep things grounded by building connections between the characters. It also helps to humanize some of the weirder or more gimmicky characters. It kinda leans into shounen battle comic goofiness to its advantage.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 10, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/twodeehoes_/status/1315363102506934272?s=20

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
OP is on Spotify now btw

https://open.spotify.com/track/2gSkvrwfCXCgqeugzezn97?si=5NH_xaC2Q4mg8Q_Z-mfnTA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nobara is pretty great.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nobara is pretty great.

:yeah:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ahh theres after ED gags this is everything i wanted

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wish I could go to a revolving sushi place.

Also never realized there's a difference between a revolving sushi place and regular sushi place. Is it like a fast food place vs. a sit down restaurant?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also never realized there's a difference between a revolving sushi place and regular sushi place. Is it like a fast food place vs. a sit down restaurant?

Conveyor sushi is kinda like fast food yeah. They tend to be cheaper than a proper sushiya.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
COVID closed down the japanese owned conveyor place near my house :argh: :argh: :argh: It was better than all the non-japanese owned regular sushi shops around here!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dude, if you have the chance, treat yourself. Not a super fan of sushi, but it's loving dope to taste the metaphorical sushi rainbow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've always liked Nobara's power.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol what a rude cliffhanger

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They're only superficial, but it's funny how the similarities to early Naruto keep increasing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Christ this episode from 0 to 60 real fast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still really digging that ED.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sukuna's voice actor is really good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not for nothing, but the gore in this episode was a lot for a shonen series. Particularly talking about the twisted and mangled bodies. :stare:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Weekly Shounen Jump has changed a lot throughout the years, but do remember that JoJo ran on WSJ for 18 years and before JoJo, there was Fist of the North Star. And neither Hirohiko Araki nor Tetsuo Hara + Buronson were afraid of some good ol' gory violencing.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Bleh, Crunchyroll keeps telling me it can't find thr video for Ep4. Anyone else having this? Might just be that I'm trying to watch on mobile.

e: apparently all I had to do was complain about it because I tried again and it's working noe

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the Crunchy apps are notoriously crappy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Weekly Shounen Jump has changed a lot throughout the years, but do remember that JoJo ran on WSJ for 18 years and before JoJo, there was Fist of the North Star. And neither Hirohiko Araki nor Tetsuo Hara + Buronson were afraid of some good ol' gory violencing.

And right now, there's Chainsaw Man, a manga where about half the cast is immortal so they can be gruesomely murdered more than once, about half the cast is dead already, usually in horrible ways, and the remainder is Kobeni.

There've been a few dips in violence in Jump over the years due to public outcry, but we seem to be spiking right now, and Chainsaw Man is definitely high end even compared to Ken's fun time adventures.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

God, Sukuna is so creepy and I love it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen is a pretty violent/dark series for Jump.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The ED art looks reminiscent of G-Reco, but also the whole ED rules.

Also lemme tell ya--these cursed wombs are a gosh darned handful, goodness gracious.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

That demon dog was such a good boy. :smith:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

Jump's in a pretty dark mood lately between the multiple maulings in the most recent Hero Academia chapters, Jujutsu keeping it's horror elements more consistent than a lot of other stuff, and just... Chainsawman in general

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Fushigoro is quite an rear end in a top hat, huh.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kinda
But hes the one tsukommi in a world entirely populated by bokes.

The trio has such good chemistry together i love these goofy kids. But a reminder that all jujutsu sorcerors are crazy.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 25, 2020

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Kinda
But hes the one tsukommi in a world entirely populated by bokes.

The trio has such good chemistry together i love these goofy kids
I was more talking about him intending to let the curse kill that guy in prison (if he wasn't dead already). Also lol that they drew him like he was middle-age yakuza instead of another teenager so that we sympathize with him less.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 25, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

Jump's in a pretty dark mood lately between the multiple maulings in the most recent Hero Academia chapters, Jujutsu keeping it's horror elements more consistent than a lot of other stuff, and just... Chainsawman in general
The visual component of the violence in a lot of recent Jump stuff is more than I recall than the series that ran in the early aughts/late 90's in Jump, minus HxH.

HxH's most graphic kill is that one guy I forget the name of who gets squashed like a bug and you see him with his guts and stuff smashed clean out of him- and even then I think it's shaded over a bit to cover it up. They're still shading/blacking out the nastier stuff but chainsaw man regularly features flying guts, Jujutsu Kaisen's violence gets fairly extreme, and even the generally more upbeat My Hero Academia has had stuff that borders on body horror.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Hunter x Hunter also has a scene with a character with the top of his skull removed and the bad guy poking around in his brain with some needles so Jujutsu Kaisen doesn't really strike me as that bad. The thing in WSJ that skeeved me out the most that I remember is that bit in Toriko where the guy with a weird skeleton has his cocyxx punched out of his body then his bones destroyed. Though I don't think it was that graphic it still weirded me out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well theres nasty body horror stuff still yet to come.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that the thread title was slightly wrong, so, uh... there ya' go! :sweatdrop:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol, was it? spelling has never been one of my strong skills :v:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm all in on this series on the strength of Kiryu Kazuma, High School Principal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And so we are introduced to the other primary villains of the series. Getou and the Disaster Curses.