Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
JJK is getting one of my 5 slots for AOTY.

It good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I've seen enough shonen to have an educated take and no, I don't think I'm wrong about this.

I'm sorry, but when you have poo poo like this

Fabricated posted:

Erza gets to be a badass who wins like, a million fights over the series and is really cool. The exchange for this is her being naked at the end of almost every fight and eventually spending an entire volume chained to a wall naked being essentially raped by a tentacle monster

and that type of poo poo is common in most shonen if you've watched any, I don't know how you can legitimately stand by stating you think JJK is one of the worst in how it handles women. It doesn't even crack the top 20.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

trucutru posted:

Hanami is deffo a girl (and maybe Krang is one too, lol, that loving brain came out of nowhere)

Oh I 100% forgot Hanami, you're absolutely right there. Literally just judged based on the bod which is, like, not exactly great on my part given my argument lmao

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Asuron posted:

I'm sorry, but when you have poo poo like this

and that type of poo poo is common in most shonen if you've watched any, I don't know how you can legitimately stand by stating you think JJK is one of the worst in how it handles women. It doesn't even crack the top 20.

Well, JJK just blew open its female lead's skull, to start with.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Yeah other than that moment the show has indeed been perfectly wholesome and cute. Especially Yuji doesn’t get the poo poo beaten out of him every other episode.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

pork never goes bad posted:

A lot of words about the female characters in season 1.

It struck me so hard when Nobara made her rant in the forest fight. Nobara and Maki are both angry, non-sexualized badasses who get to fight up close and personal and channel their rage at the system. They had all the ugly emotions you don't usually get to see in female characters, and there were two of them... on the good side. It was super refreshing and felt extremely real.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Well, JJK just blew open its female lead's skull, to start with.

Are you really saying that having a lead character getting taken out for narrative and emotional beats ( however good or bad you view that decision ), is worse than female ( usually underage) characters being sexually assaulted constantly and played off a gag joke?

I just want to understand the argument here, because that's crazy to me if that's what you're saying.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Asuron posted:

Are you really saying that having a lead character getting taken out for narrative and emotional beats ( however good or bad you view that decision ), is worse than female ( usually underage) characters being sexually assaulted constantly and played off a gag joke?

I just want to understand the argument here, because that's crazy to me if that's what you're saying.

Having female characters accomplish nothing then get murdered is pretty fuckin bad.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Am I missing something? Didn’t that person that came with Todo heal Nobara a little and say she may not be dead? Why is everyone assuming she’s killed off?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I missing something? Didn’t that person that came with Todo heal Nobara a little and say she may not be dead? Why is everyone assuming she’s killed off?

'Cuz she got touched in the head by the if I touch you you die man.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Having female characters accomplish nothing then get murdered is pretty fuckin bad.

she didn't accomplish nothing. mahito was beatable because she chunked the absolute poo poo out of him with her technique, which is more than most anyone else in shibuya accomplished against jogo's crew.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

trucutru posted:

'Cuz she got touched in the head by the if I touch you you die man.

Im ok with her dying, if she is dead, but I think my problem with her death is how she died. I think if she got tagged while actually fighting with Yuji, or through some clever trick from Mahito it would’ve felt better

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

The healer himself gave REALLY lovely odds. Not 0? Shiiiiit, just say she's dead.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Im ok with her dying, if she is dead, but I think my problem with her death is how she died. I think if she got tagged while actually fighting with Yuji, or through some clever trick from Mahito it would’ve felt better

This is pretty much what everybody is saying. Girl was just "whoops, I got distracted by the clone and let the bad touch man tag me, like a moron... is that the script on the floor? does it say that I have to die right now? so that Yuji can despair a bit until best bro makes his appearance to save the day? fuccck."

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 24, 2023

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Pan Dulce posted:

The healer himself gave REALLY lovely odds. Not 0? Shiiiiit, just say she's dead.

Suuure, but usually in anime if a character is not 100% confirmed dead there’s a good chance they’ll come back, and that’s even without someone flat out saying there’s a chance

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Suuure, but usually in anime if a character is not 100% confirmed dead there’s a good chance they’ll come back, and that’s even without someone flat out saying there’s a chance

counterpoint: she got a flashback scene. she dead. them the rules.

they can eventually bring her back from the dead (as shown by Megumi's very dead dad running around and kicking very alive rear end) but that's something different.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Because they read the manga. We established this lovely spoiler a few pages back.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

dipwood posted:

Because they read the manga. We established this lovely spoiler a few pages back.

The manga hasn’t confirmed anything yet though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think if she got tagged while actually fighting with Yuji, or through some clever trick from Mahito it would’ve felt better

I mean, it was a clever trick. He forced her to pursue him down and around a corner where he could quickly switch his main body with his double while also positioning his body to hide what he had done as she rounded said corner so as to futz with her reaction times.

The problem is the scene got adapted extremely poorly, and made it seem like she had ages to think about it and react vs a fraction of a second while also not really making it clear what Mahito was doing with his positioning. From Nobara rounding the corner to the smack was 4 panels over two pages (not counting some narration-only panels), and one of those four was just Yuji shouting. It also cut out that even with Mahito's tricks she actually did attempt to block/deflect and was just slightly too slow against what's supposed to be the faster 'main' body. The other side of that token, of course, being that blocking would only have been truly effective against the double, but that's also the point of the trick.

e: It's honestly somewhat wild. The anime staff clearly love Nobara but then they turned around and did her really dirty with that scene.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 24, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

she's alive and gonna get revenge on yuji for playing dead in s1, its called foreshadowing

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

The healer himself gave REALLY lovely odds.

this is a 100% guarantee that the character will survive, lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dipwood posted:

Nah, I read online only half of the next arc in the manga (it's unbelievably lovely so I stopped reading) and no nobara to be found

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 24, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

she's alive and gonna get revenge on yuji for playing dead in s1, its called foreshadowing

I would scream so loud I was hoarse if that's what it did

Please grant me this blessing, it's too good

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AlternateNu posted:

JJK is getting one of my 5 slots for AOTY.

It good.

Hell, same.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

You know, from a writing standpoint where you want to "break down" the MC against a horrible villain, I feel it makes perfect sense to kill a friend (Junpei), a mentor (Nanami) and one of their core team (Nobara). All by the same guy.

Would it have been better if Nobara had been a man from the start? Or if MeiMei and Nanami swapped characters? I feel like that'd make people as upset.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

You know, from a writing standpoint where you want to "break down" the MC against a horrible villain, I feel it makes perfect sense to kill a friend (Junpei), a mentor (Nanami) and one of their core team (Nobara). All by the same guy.

Would it have been better if Nobara had been a man from the start? Or if MeiMei and Nanami swapped characters? I feel like that'd make people as upset.

Except that's a card that you can only play once. Once the "core team" is vulnerable, you've got a lot more cynical caution from viewers, so the villain who does the takedown gets less hype every time you try it later.

And when Mahito's gone at the end of the arc, that's firing off a pretty big gun on a relatively small conflict.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shinjobi posted:

I would scream so loud I was hoarse if that's what it did

Please grant me this blessing, it's too good

Coming back in a big and awesome way would also be something most shonen battle can't swing with their female characters either, and it would be cool.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that's a card that you can only play once. Once the "core team" is vulnerable, you've got a lot more cynical caution from viewers, so the villain who does the takedown gets less hype every time you try it later.

And when Mahito's gone at the end of the arc, that's firing off a pretty big gun on a relatively small conflict.

"Cynical caution from the viewer" does not appear to remotely be what happened after junpei died

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

"Cynical caution from the viewer" does not appear to remotely be what happened after junpei died

I highlighted the section I did for a reason.

Friends of the leads are always at risk, so whatever fear for them they inspire can be repeated. But the invulnerability of the "leads" is something that only breaks once. Killing one of the main characters (or "killing" for long enough to make the viewer believe it) puts everybody in play, which means one of the main heroes dying isn't as shocking any more. Thus the one time play thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJGjQ9hoAiQ

:unsmith:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Junpei also died like 4 episodes after he was introduced.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I will say while the fights have good animation this season, they have had very little emotional impact because it keeps dragging on and on and on so stuff doesn't really feel like it matters, and often I don't really care about the characters involved (epitome of that being shadow guy summoning some big dumb monster so sukuna can waste a bunch of time stylishly styling on it, but mechamaru's pointless side mecha thing was a lot like that too).

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 27, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i suspect megumi releasing the dumb monster as a suicidal act that didn't work will be an important character beat for him later. though i think its true purpose was to establish that gojo can't beat sukuna, given the shadow monster was introduced as having killed a previous holder of gojo's OP horseshit.

personally i think mechamaru's character has been a really cool aspect of the writing this season. there was some very complicated emotions around your dead friend helping you from beyond the grave after betraying you to relieve his crippling physical disability, with the culmination being mechamaru professing his love for another side character before fading away entirely - while also simultaneously revealing to his closest friends that he valued their lives but not their abilities. just a character built out of conflicting emotions and motivations and the whole shibuya arc is essentially exploring the consequences of his actions and judgements, especially given iirc his leaking of information is why the shibuya incident happens in the first place. i thought that was all really neat given how little screentime it actually took up.

him getting one cool fight before he went out was nice, imo

pretty good example of why i strongly prefer s2's writing to s1's i suppose. there's like, actual drama between characters, and protagonist characters are allowed to fail and have meaningful stakes followed through on for it. it's not often that you get to see a shounen anime where the threat of failure can actually be substantiated like it is here, i think that's what people mean when they call it """ballsy""". arc's willing to make story decisions that aren't cozy or comfortable, and force characters into extreme circumstances that are actually tense because things totally can and will go wrong if they mess up. mechamaru's complex (and sympathetic) personal motivations resulting in him dying despite pulling out several cool shounen hero action tricks at the end is a decent lead in to that i think.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 27, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

i suspect megumi releasing the dumb monster as a suicidal act that didn't work will be an important character beat for him later. though i think its true purpose was to establish that gojo can't beat sukuna, given the shadow monster was introduced as having killed a previous holder of gojo's OP horseshit.

personally i think mechamaru's character has been a really cool aspect of the writing this season. there was some very complicated emotions around your dead friend helping you from beyond the grave after betraying you to relieve his crippling physical disability, with the culmination being mechamaru professing his love for another side character before fading away entirely - while also simultaneously revealing to his closest friends that he valued their lives but not their abilities. just a character built out of conflicting emotions and motivations and the whole shibuya arc is essentially exploring the consequences of his actions and judgements, especially given iirc his leaking of information is why the shibuya incident happens in the first place. i thought that was all really neat given how little screentime it actually took up.

him getting one cool fight before he went out was nice, imo

pretty good example of why i strongly prefer s2's writing to s1's i suppose. there's like, actual drama between characters, and protagonist characters are allowed to fail and have meaningful stakes followed through on for it. it's not often that you get to see a shounen anime where the threat of failure can actually be substantiated like it is here, i think that's what people mean when they call it """ballsy""". arc's willing to make story decisions that aren't cozy or comfortable, and force characters into extreme circumstances that are actually tense because things totally can and will go wrong if they mess up. mechamaru's complex (and sympathetic) personal motivations resulting in him dying despite pulling out several cool shounen hero action tricks at the end is a decent lead in to that i think.

This is a very good post

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wasn't the big dumb monster fight also the entire reason that sukuna needed to level the whole city? which is in turn like, the focal point of yuji's personal drama? not to mention however megumi becoming conscious later plays out, since that's when he'll find out his self-sacrificing final trump card didn't save the day - it made the day way way worse.

i guess that's kind of a running theme in the arc? your decision to sacrifice yourself towards a goal isn't going to work out just because you sacrificed yourself for it - like any other action it's subject to the complex web of interactions and consequences called "reality". i'm not so sure atm it's really fully condemning the idea of self sacrifice but it is strongly rebuking the idea that you can sacrifice yourself in a bad situation and just expect that to benefit the people around you because you had good intentions with it, or because you really sacrificed everything for it. ultimately the answer to problems isn't hitting self destruct when you're backed into a corner and hoping everyone else makes it out ok - it was not being backed into a corner in the first place. and shibuya is the inflection point of jujutsu society being collectively backed into that corner by both the structural failings of jujutsu society as a whole and the individual, personal failings of the actors within it (especially gojo and mechamaru). that intricate web of failures is not something that can be fixed at the last second by a handful of people deciding their life is worth giving up for it. people killing themselves in service of a goal is not a real answer to anything, but it is a symptom of the problem getting so bad that it came to that in the first place.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 27, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

chiasaur11 posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? Because of Mahito going chop chop on beloved supporting characters, the stage is set for survival against big hitters always being a coin flip from now on. Only Yuji gets the plot armor, and only in so far as he'll get to make it to the end, not necessarily the epilogue.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yuji's plot armor extends as far as "yuji will not literally die, because sukuna will bail him out but also destroy things and people that are important to him in the process"

Conspiratiorist posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? Because of Mahito going chop chop on beloved supporting characters, the stage is set for survival against big hitters always being a coin flip from now on. Only Yuji gets the plot armor, and only in so far as he'll get to make it to the end, not necessarily the epilogue.

i guess if your idea of stakes is "one dramatic twist once in a blue moon" characters dying can feel like it devalues dramatic moments though

i do kind of feel like a big part of this arc was specifically establishing "no one is safe" since all the big safety pillars have been removed or disarmed. gojo's out of commission, nanami's dead, and todo lost his hand and can't use his technique anymore. there is no one punch man promise that someone will show up at the very last second to snag victory from the jaws of defeat, everyone who reliably could do that is gone now.

literally all that's left is the b-tier side filler characters who you'd expect to go out in a dramatic moment lol, it's the guys you'd naturally assume are going to be the ones on the chopping block who need to save the day now. that's actually pretty cool now that i'm putting it together

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 27, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

wasn't the big dumb monster fight also the entire reason that sukuna needed to level the whole city? =

like he wasn't going to do that already

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

like he wasn't going to do that already

was he? he literally ran out of time as a physical manifestation immediately after doing that

if the big monster wasn't there was he going to use his domain expansion sooner?
EDIT: looks like his big fuga blast was what actually made the crater my bad

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Game of Thrones killed like half its cast for shock value and to create the idea that anyone could be next.

And that worked, for a time.

Then it emerged that if you killed like half the likeable characters in an ensemble, all the people who really liked those guys, suddenly don't have people that they like any more.

And then when you try to get people invested in new characters, they just, don't. Because they either don't hit the way the first guys did, or simply because their life is on a coin flip so what's the point in becoming invested?

At this point I've seen so many shows of different forms ape this and then go on to fail, Young Justice is a big one that comes to mind, that doing poo poo like this just isn't ballsy to me at all. It's like, the most basic and stupid way of getting a show to feel like it has stakes.

Before I got upset at the obvious sexism of it, my immediate reaction to Nobara dying was to just, sigh. It wasn't shock, or outrage. I just disengaged because the character I was looking forward to seeing the most got written out.

What attracted me to JJK was the back half of season 1 as I've said before. Which was an ensemble of characters I found interesting that I wanted to see grow from strength to strength with a core of three who I enjoyed, even though the main character was probably the most boring of them. It wasn't some sort of superlative show but I was really loving hyped by Chimera Shadow Garden and the loving double kill at the end was absolutely outstanding. I thought the pacing was really solid as well, with breathing room between arcs, whether it be getting to know the guys from the new school or a loving baseball episode.

It was Shonen done competently with a cast I liked and I think, really importantly, a loving great female lead portrayed in a way that I do not think the genre has ever really managed to do well. And what little tension the subversion of season 2 has gained has come at the sacrifice of essentially all of this.