Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/gill57673963/status/1330424000430837760?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blaze Dragon posted:

Mai is already a significantly better character in the anime than she ever was in the manga and that's because of the Juju Scroll this week alone. I'm taking it as canon.

Based on the extra chapter this week the animes extras are canon

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad that the villians using their friend's head as a soccer ball after he got destroyed is canon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm glad that the villians using their friend's head as a soccer ball after he got destroyed is canon.
Defeated (but somehow still alive) villains getting their heads used in darkly humorous + humilliating ways is nothing out of the ordinary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxeGbfS3frE

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Defeated (but somehow still alive) villains getting their heads used in darkly humorous + humilliating ways is nothing out of the ordinary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxeGbfS3frE

Though it's not normally the villains doing it to their own member.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Obviously everyone here is already watching it but starting next week the English dub will be hitting HBO Max. Which I guess is a good sign since it means they think it will find an audience?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Penis

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
RIP glasses guy, you raised every shounen death flag with surgical precision.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still love Nanami's little speech about the accumulation of little despairs being what makes someone an adult.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So yeah this is why the villains are called the Disaster Curses. Cause they are all curses made from fear of Disasters. (And Humanity.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fabricated posted:

I still love Nanami's little speech about the accumulation of little despairs being what makes someone an adult.

It's the kind of thing that I can't imagine would work at all for the actual intended audience of the manga (this is still a Shonen Jump series) but for the adult audience...well, he's got a point. Nanamin's great.

Also,

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nanamin has got be the most relatable character within his first appearance.

Work is poo poo!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
It's funny because I saw the cute floating curse in the water from the OP and thought "ah this guy must be there to show us that not all curses are malevolent beings" but according to scar guy I guess they represent the totality of humanity's fear and negative emotions regarding the oceans so egg on my face

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Nanami, you little poo poo. :allears:

Everything Burrito posted:

thread is now the Nanami Appreciation Zone
vvvv Done! Use your powers wisely. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 28, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
thread is now the Nanami Appreciation Zone

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It's funny because I saw the cute floating curse in the water from the OP and thought "ah this guy must be there to show us that not all curses are malevolent beings" but according to scar guy I guess they represent the totality of humanity's fear and negative emotions regarding the oceans so egg on my face

gently caress The Ocean

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The one thing that so far has been consistent in the series is that curses- being created from the negative feelings of humans, are pretty much malevolent by nature. This also ties into how all Jujutsu Sorcerers- "good guy" or not, are people who are damaged or neuroatypical for a lack of better words because to be able to generate and use cursed energy while maintaining some sense of rationality you have to be cracked in the head to a degree. If you see a sorcerer in this series, keep in mind that this necessitates that something is wrong with them mentally on some level.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

like how you have to be an rear end in a top hat to have a Stand

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Or part of a group of Altruistic Duwang Teenagers Righting Wrongs. :dadjoke:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, Tonio's a nice guy who just wants to cook good food and help people get healthy. It's not his fault some people can't obey kitchen etiquette.

Edit: Going back to the overall theme here, it's interesting that it's another area Jujutsu shares with Chainsaw Man. (Well, there a point is made that surviving Devil Hunters are usually nutjobs, since 'normal' people die fast in that line of work, but it comes out to the same thing). They do have a feel like someone sketched out a broad pitch and separately gave it to two people to flesh it out to a full series, with one left with a pile of old "Shonen Jump" back issues for reference, and the other left with a bunch of grainy VHS bootlegs of Tarantino, 70s horror movies, and FLCL, all unlabeled.

Going back to this episode, it was a pretty nice fight, especially considering how minor it was in the plot. Also, comparing to the manga, having the film be something thematically connected to the plot was a nice touch. The manga just had "there's a movie" without showing it, leaving room for the show to do more in a fun way. Also, pretty nice looking fight considering how minor it is in the overall plot.

This is a really well done adaptation, basically.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 29, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The movie is great foreshadowing and i love it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Fabricated posted:

The one thing that so far has been consistent in the series is that curses- being created from the negative feelings of humans, are pretty much malevolent by nature. This also ties into how all Jujutsu Sorcerers- "good guy" or not, are people who are damaged or neuroatypical for a lack of better words because to be able to generate and use cursed energy while maintaining some sense of rationality you have to be cracked in the head to a degree. If you see a sorcerer in this series, keep in mind that this necessitates that something is wrong with them mentally on some level.

Unknown Armies: The Shounen Battle Manga.

Also Nanami is great.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Just gave this a shot and I'm looking forward to more Naruto 2020 edition.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
It's finally a Friday

Philosopher King posted:

Just gave this a shot and I'm looking forward to more Naruto 2020 edition.
Believe it!

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Friday gone too soon. Don't make the working man's sorcerer go into overtime, Mahito, you silly sociopath.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yuuji's a good boy :unsmith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/eggbuttertoast/status/1335081846321737728?s=20

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nanami's cool. also extremely based on Kira Yoshikage?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I watched the first episode of the English dub and it was okay. Definitely not going to be one of those ones that surpasses the original Japanese version.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nanami's cool. also extremely based on Kira Yoshikage?

Got that Kenjiro Tsuda serial killer drawl, too. Just a walking bundle of pent-up salaryman fury.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh hey Junpei and his mom are pretty cool

Oh God why :smith:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh hey Junpei and his mom are pretty cool

Oh God why :smith:

This show doesn’t miss.

drat. That was a fun scene and then...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Mahito and Sukuna are such dicks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Got that Kenjiro Tsuda serial killer drawl, too. Just a walking bundle of pent-up salaryman fury.
That attitude is 100% from someone who had a "slightly lovely" boss while working a crappy job. Like not completely "Wish I could deck 'em in the face every time" type boss but the type who drops buzzwords left and right and whose attitude drive you up the loving wall.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Not a soul crushing job but a soul eroding one
It is years later and youve realized you have been hollowed out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He seems to be recovering that bit by bit, though. Most people who get their soul sucked by their job by-and-large tend to have a very "whatever" sort of attitude even during their free-time. And as D-Dub pointed out, he does seem to harbor a lot of pent-up fury from previous experiences. For example:

^^^^ Those are the words of someone who absolutely cares. He just has no chill about it whatsoever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This episode is loving wild. It's crazy how consistent they have been with animation.

gently caress Mahito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This episode is loving wild. It's crazy how consistent they have been with animation.

gently caress Mahito

I've seen much nicer embodiments of humanity's collective fear and loathing of itself, yes.

As for the rest of the episode, it's pretty impressive. We're eleven episodes in, and none of them have felt like "breaks".

That said, it does feel like there's not quite enough time for some of the relationships to carry all the narrative weight that's being put on them. Itadori talking about his friends with Junpei feels a little empty when we've barely seen him hanging out with his classmates. (Do they even know he's alive? I'm not quite sure.)