Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

What a gorgeous first episode

How is the batting average for shows that CR has a seat on the production committee for? I remember complaints about Tower of God, but God of High School and this both looked really really good. In/Spectre was okay, for a talking heads show, I guess.

basically I'm curious about how it hashes on average VS stuff Netflix has a similar role for
I dunno about the CR question but this is studio MAPPA so the real question is if it can keep the quality up for the whole run. Dororo had some really rough spots but was gorgeous a lot too. There's some good talent on the staff of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime whose names I can't recall right now because I'm tired- I believe there's a real good Korean animator on this that worked on God of Highschool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Holy lol at the ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEm4tA2hMc

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of the series I like is its sense of humor. Gojo shows up and his student is beat half to death and he's like "lol you got hosed up, I'm gonna take some pictures to show your classmates"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

I assume that was him on the other end of the line in the last episode going "that's hilarious" when told that the extremely dangerous cursed object is missing.
Yeah. "It's gone? Hilarious! Maybe it went for a walk!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I really liked some of the changes made from the manga in the second episode. Rather than just chilling on a park bench, the conversation between Gojo and Itadori takes place while he's finishing the funeral rites for his grandfather and picking up his bones. Kinda conveys Itadori's feelings at the moment better I think.

I think the conversation with the principal doesn't quite underscore that basically being mentally unwell is pretty much a requirement for the job. You have to be a person who can generate negative feelings/thoughts powerful enough to use your jujutsu, but also be able to control/use them and stay at least somewhat rational. And the job pretty much has you consistently in proximity to death and the worst parts of humanity. You have to have something wrong with you to do it, but someone has to do it.

If you're not a manga reader this is something to really keep in mind- anyone who's a Jujutsu Sorcerer in this story, "good guy" or not, they all have something very deeply wrong with them (or are suffering terribly, even if it's quietly) and that's literally where their power comes from.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 10, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
OP is on Spotify now btw

https://open.spotify.com/track/2gSkvrwfCXCgqeugzezn97?si=5NH_xaC2Q4mg8Q_Z-mfnTA

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sukuna's voice actor is really good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen is a pretty violent/dark series for Jump.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

Jump's in a pretty dark mood lately between the multiple maulings in the most recent Hero Academia chapters, Jujutsu keeping it's horror elements more consistent than a lot of other stuff, and just... Chainsawman in general
The visual component of the violence in a lot of recent Jump stuff is more than I recall than the series that ran in the early aughts/late 90's in Jump, minus HxH.

HxH's most graphic kill is that one guy I forget the name of who gets squashed like a bug and you see him with his guts and stuff smashed clean out of him- and even then I think it's shaded over a bit to cover it up. They're still shading/blacking out the nastier stuff but chainsaw man regularly features flying guts, Jujutsu Kaisen's violence gets fairly extreme, and even the generally more upbeat My Hero Academia has had stuff that borders on body horror.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still love Nanami's little speech about the accumulation of little despairs being what makes someone an adult.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It's funny because I saw the cute floating curse in the water from the OP and thought "ah this guy must be there to show us that not all curses are malevolent beings" but according to scar guy I guess they represent the totality of humanity's fear and negative emotions regarding the oceans so egg on my face
The one thing that so far has been consistent in the series is that curses- being created from the negative feelings of humans, are pretty much malevolent by nature. This also ties into how all Jujutsu Sorcerers- "good guy" or not, are people who are damaged or neuroatypical for a lack of better words because to be able to generate and use cursed energy while maintaining some sense of rationality you have to be cracked in the head to a degree. If you see a sorcerer in this series, keep in mind that this necessitates that something is wrong with them mentally on some level.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kung Food posted:

I do have to wonder, if a powered down Sukuna can effortlessly backhand mankind's cumulative fear of itself, just what the hell is Sukuna? Maybe mankind's fear of death? His domain being a skeletal motif would suggest that.
Sukuna in this series was a person rather than a manifested curse like Mahito/Jogou/Hanami. Sukuna's deal isn't just that he's super powerful (where just one of his fingers is enough to make a special grade curse), but that his technique/mastery are beyond even somebody like Gojo- he can effortlessly dunk on Mahito despite having maybe half the amount of cursed energy because his mastery of curses/cursed technique is essentially the absolute peak of the art.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sukuna was a person who became a curse after death. After all a person doesn’t have two faces and four arms. Then at some point he was defeated and his curse energy was sealed into his fingers.

The current version of Sukuna is stronger than Mohito he’s just not as strong as a Jogo in terms of raw power.
It's a bit vague. In the manga Gojo says that Sukuna was a man (human) first, but when Yuji asks about the fingers he says that Sukuna originally had 4 arms as well- this would require him to have had those 4 arms as a person because his grave wax became cursed after his death which includes his fingers. But we only see Sukuna even in his mental realm as Evil-Yuji, with 2 arms. It's weird.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's enough material for maybe a season and a half or so right now, after this season ends.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well that's good! I dunno from what I saw it looked like the manga was popular enough it's going to be one of those long running ones but yeah if its seasonal then I just look forward to enjoying it all and then forgetting about it until they're somehow on season 4
The manga was doing good numbers before the anime and now has gotten a Kimetsu-style spike in volume sales, so it's going nowhere unless the mangaka wants it to.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I just like that they don't conjure stronger people than Gojo out of nowhere. Gojo is in fact, probably the strongest character in the series short of full-power Sukuna.

Also I like that technique reigns supreme- in terms of raw power the Disaster Curses are actually head and shoulders above probably 90% of the characters in the series. This includes the special-grade sorcerers like the faculty/staff who aren't Gojo- the kids are all way, way out of their league here and the only reason a bunch of them aren't dead is because Hanami is basically the group tank for the Disaster Curses and his technique lacks bullshit death-touch mechanics or AoE effects that must be countered with domains or techniques specifically suited for it to avoid instantly dying. Most of the faculty here that aren't Gojo would probably die in a 1v1 against any of the disaster curses- they probably just wouldn't die instantly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hanami was about to use Domain expansion would would have caused his stuff to pretty much be instant death.
Jougo or Mahito have a lot more means to instagib people without domain expansion.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Should note this is a super impressive feat for Megumi, the number of Sorcerers that can do a domain expansion is in the single digits even for an incomplete one like his. Nanami an Impressive sorcerer himself states it’s the pinnacle of Jujutsu Sorcery that he could never obtain.
Also it's another pretty good demonstration that being a jujutsu sorcerer requires being cracked in the head to a degree- Megumi doesn't look like your typical shonen hero getting his powerup there.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 20, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd bet on not seeing Season 2 until about this time next year at the earliest, particularly if you don't want it to nosedive in quality.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The perspective on some of the slightly overindulgent "rotate the camera around the action" shots is kinda jarringly weird/off, but that's pretty small potatoes given the general quality of everything.

There's enough for a season 2 right now, easily. The only thing that I'd have to eyeball is how many arcs you could fit in. There's a shorter arc that comes right after this, then something of an interstitial arc that leads into an arc that is very, very long.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

There is a lot of flash over function with JJK's battle scenes, but I think that's fine since the real meat of the fight progression is built around the cursed techniques, so cool punches and kicks are basically just there to keep things lively in-between those bits

I'd be curious to see what Sung Hoo Park would do with an action heavy story that has more nuts and bolts fights. Not quite down to Earth on the level of say, Vagabond, but with less room for improvised flourishes. I can't really think of anything like that off the top of my head, though.
Kengan Asura. Except it already got a bad adaptation. :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The adaptation was pretty 1-to-1 with some embellished fight scenes, but JJK's fights (particular the hand-to-hand bits) are really well choreographed in the manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'll say that Chainsaw Man is better than Jujutsu Kaisen, and I really like Jujutsu Kaisen.

That being said I'm pretty happy it took off. I was thinking originally that this was going to be one of those series that does well enough but doesn't get noticed, kinda how Demon Slayer went pretty much unnoticed until it got its anime.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 18, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jesus, it was just the drummer. Fire the guy and replace him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Akutami's comments are always them pointing out stuff they screwed up (like art mistakes, using the incorrect terms, stuff they don't think makes sense, etc) and asking the readers to not mind it.

One of their most embarrassing moments as per one of the volume extras is having math explained to them for Black Flash by one of their assistants, who pointed out the multiple they were using didn't work the way they thought it did. One of the others is Nobara (who is pretty small/petite) easily kicking away Yuji, who is canonically built like a brick shithouse and weighs ~180 pounds.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 18, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought it was just them explaining how Black Flashed was not multiplied but was exponential, and thus much more impressive.
Here's the actual page since I hadn't looked at it for a while:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ibblebibble posted:

Should I watch the movie before starting season 2? Never did get around to it.
You don't need to watch the movie but if you wanna know the chronological order of things:

The events of the Hidden Inventory arc (this arc in S2) -> JJK0 -> JJK proper

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was originally baffled by the start of the Hidden Inventory arc when it happened in the manga because it felt like it came out of nowhere but it's probably one of the best villain origin stories in a Jump magazine. It pretty much makes sense, provides context for a lot of other characters' behaviors/personalities, and is more than just a "one bad day" story. Geto genuinely struggles until he finally falls.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One critical thing that people need to remember for this series is that to be a jujutsu sorcerer at all you basically need to be mentally ill. It's literally a requirement.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

Shoko seems pretty well adjusted
She has a conversation with her friend that snapped and murdered a bunch of people and really doesn't seem to give a poo poo that he did all that after he confirms he did and she thinks it's funny that he's performatively sulking about not being understood.

There's no really well adjusted sorcerer. The "good" ones tend to have really strange views on death/suffering/killing and usually seem like they draw their negative emotions (thus their cursed power) from some form of self-loathing. Part of the reason Gojo is so freaked out by Geto losing it is because he basically used Geto as his moral compass- even Gege says that; namely that he was actually unironically asking Geto if he should kill the cultists because he genuinely couldn't conceive of what was moral to do. Gojo at that point was basically a nearly unkillable god; almost nothing is impossible for him, so he has nothing really stopping him from doing anything he wants outside of his own moral judgment. It's why his threat in the previous season to kill all the higher ups in the jujutsu world scared Ijichi so much; Gojo could do it effortlessly if he just decided to one day.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I get that it's TV but Nobara getting her head blown off here was a lot more dynamic in the manga, and this is a more important scene than a punch-up in a bathroom.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jerkface posted:

She avoided the actual CT activating type of touch, she got hit incidentally by claws - its stupid that she stood there and let mahito full on touch her face when she was previously super spry and active in the fight. I think this is poor direction by Mappa for this sequence. The hallway is waaaay shorter in the manga, it should have happened quicker, blah blah blah I absolutely hate this plot point even in the manga. The reason given in the manga is that she had let her guard down due to fighting the clone but she knew there was a real mahito and he was likely heading towards it!
Yeah, in the manga it feels a lot more believable since it's a real close-quarters affair and the momentary confusion of Mahito swapping powers with his clone (since Nobara was facing the one without Idle Mutation) sells her getting touched better.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's all the usual growing pains of battle shonen present. A power scaling system that almost immediately becomes irrelevant. An ancillary cast whose members that cannot hang at the top of that power system becoming completely irrelevant. An motivated interesting villain being boiled down into something less interesting or replaced with something less interesting. I think some of these things are less obviously present than they are for a lot of other ongoing series (a lot of the people who aren't hanging out at the top of the power curve have useful non-combat utility) but they're there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dawgstar posted:

Still wild that the shonen battle series that ignores most of the tropes re: women fighting is Fairy Tail. Which absolutely has its own problems, but that's not one of them and it counts for something.
Erza gets to be a badass who wins like, a million fights over the series and is really cool. The exchange for this is her being naked at the end of almost every fight and eventually spending an entire volume chained to a wall naked being essentially raped by a tentacle monster

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Collapsing Farts posted:

Wow spuper progressiv
Hiro Mashima has the Montgomery Burns disease thing but with fetishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AlternateNu posted:

Not really a fan of MHA, but from the first season, I really liked Aizawa. :v:
The Japanese VA for Aizawa also does Sukuna's voice IIRC