Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What a gorgeous first episode

How is the batting average for shows that CR has a seat on the production committee for? I remember complaints about Tower of God, but God of High School and this both looked really really good. In/Spectre was okay, for a talking heads show, I guess.

basically I'm curious about how it hashes on average VS stuff Netflix has a similar role for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen is a pretty violent/dark series for Jump.

Jump's in a pretty dark mood lately between the multiple maulings in the most recent Hero Academia chapters, Jujutsu keeping it's horror elements more consistent than a lot of other stuff, and just... Chainsawman in general

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'all think that they had to license that appearance from Pop Up Pirate?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's kind of weird for there to be a "fear of nature's wrath" cursed spirit that is like plants and stuff instead of weather

I mean, who's afraid of trees, other than lumberjacks?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MonsterEnvy posted:

You joking tons of people are scared of the Forest. Which is what Hanami represents not plants.

Jougo mentioned that the Disaster curses had a boss, maybe said boss is the fear of the sky and storms.

I guess when you put it that way it makes more sense, but when people are scared of forests it's more the whole lost, isolated, and starvation (and wild animals) thing and not so much getting harpooned on a tree branch, which is probably why it didn't click in my brain

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Itadori is so lucky. He has three awesome anime mentors when most battle shonen protagonists struggle to get one.

also Todou was giving me some weird Chairman Netero energy this episode

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 27, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was wondering why Sukuna was so interested in Fushiguro way back when, but finding out he has 1) Some kind of ultimate suicide attack 2) Was bred as a bargaining piece for Jujutsu clan shenanigans 3) Was able to do that super hard thing that hardly anyone can do on his first try has gradually colored in his potential.

Granted that doesn't explain the nature of Sukuna's interest, unless he's just Cursed Goku, looking for a real strong guy to throw hands with

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There is a lot of flash over function with JJK's battle scenes, but I think that's fine since the real meat of the fight progression is built around the cursed techniques, so cool punches and kicks are basically just there to keep things lively in-between those bits

I'd be curious to see what Sung Hoo Park would do with an action heavy story that has more nuts and bolts fights. Not quite down to Earth on the level of say, Vagabond, but with less room for improvised flourishes. I can't really think of anything like that off the top of my head, though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I enjoy how the only dedicated shonen battle manga moralist is Yuji (and maybe Panda), and how that is offset by the fact that he's got Super Satan occupying his body. I haven't read further in the manga than where the anime has gone, but I hope that stays consistent throughout the series, because the literal foundation of the setting is "Using curses to fight curses" which would make it really weird if they redeem and recruit Mahito with the power of friendship at some point

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m pretty new to watching Anime movies released approximately one year after I really get into a show. I saw Mugen Train at launch and liked it just fine. My complaint is that there wasn’t anything that felt suitably cinematic, nothing that made me think “oh this wouldn’t have worked as an episode, it had to be a movie because of this

Do the JuJuKai movie “justify” itself as a cinematic experience, or would you say it’s simply watching a long episode on a really big screen? I’m gonna see it either way, but it’s nice to temper my expectations beforehand

It works better as a self-contained story inasmuch as it's not just the next sequential chapter of an ongoing arc, but there's nothing that makes you go "NO WAY WOULD THAT HAVE EVER BEEN ON THE SHOW". That's more a positive reflection on the show than a criticism of the movie, though. poo poo generally looks good.

I liked it better than Infinity Train but largely for the same reasons I like JJK better than Kimetsu as a whole.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I intentionally avoided getting caught up with the manga because I was waiting for this. Although I did start reading the current chapters. But basically everything before a certain point I'm ignorant about/fuzzy on.

Poor Utahime...

Also, is Ieri gonna go through one of those "I had trauma so I decided it was easier working with corpses" type moments?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Taima posted:

My only real beef with this arc is how they put a really, really important scene AFTER the credits at the end of this most recent episode. I missed it originally and only happened to realize my mistake later by sheer luck. Marvel made this a thing, didn't they? loving Marvel.

Post credits bits have been used as comedy stingers for a (very) long time so it was only natural that after a while people would start going "but what if we used them for dramatic stingers?"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

She has a conversation with her friend that snapped and murdered a bunch of people and really doesn't seem to give a poo poo that he did all that after he confirms he did and she thinks it's funny that he's performatively sulking about not being understood.

There's no really well adjusted sorcerer. The "good" ones tend to have really strange views on death/suffering/killing and usually seem like they draw their negative emotions (thus their cursed power) from some form of self-loathing. Part of the reason Gojo is so freaked out by Geto losing it is because he basically used Geto as his moral compass- even Gege says that; namely that he was actually unironically asking Geto if he should kill the cultists because he genuinely couldn't conceive of what was moral to do. Gojo at that point was basically a nearly unkillable god; almost nothing is impossible for him, so he has nothing really stopping him from doing anything he wants outside of his own moral judgment. It's why his threat in the previous season to kill all the higher ups in the jujutsu world scared Ijichi so much; Gojo could do it effortlessly if he just decided to one day.

what does being well adjusted even mean in the context of having to risk your life wrestling with evil apparitions, evil cultists, and wizards who are evil for fun and profit

And that's before you get to the pretty egregious issues with jujutsu sorcerer culture at large. They might be worse than Type Moon Magi inasmuch as that the latter have a dedication to secrecy that keeps them from going too apeshit. Not that said secretive nature actually tends to be reflected often in the stories...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I know that they're all horrible malevolent entities bent on human death and suffering, but I can't help but like Hanami and Jogo a little. I think part of it is that they're nature-based cursed spirits so they just don't have as strong a stink of human treachery and sadism about them the way that Mahito or Sukuna do

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I keep expecting a team to splinter off of MAPPA like they originally split off from Madhouse, and then I remember that Maruyama's new studio is heading up Pluto, so that's actually happened already

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Maki and Toji have the same thing going on to different degrees, right? What is she, like a 50% Toji? Maybe 25%?

although I imagine fighting experience is also a big part of why he's an absolute nightmare and she's just regular scary

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
While I don't want to justify any of the arguably criminal* scheduling calls the jerks who call themselves production management at MAPPA get up to...

...I do feel people are a bit insane calling episodes like this bad looking. Like, compared to what? Film? 80s OVAs? I've been rewatching YYH back to back with new episodes of JJK, and I think people have developed ludicrous standards for TV animation. Granted, part of that is a self fulfilling prophecy: you get super ambitious with a project, you're gonna raise expectations, but even compared to the first season (which was a perfectly cromulent bit of TV animation)... crazy poo poo going on here. Yeah it doesn't look perfect, but bad???

*I was actually reminded that MAPPA's spawning grounds, Madhouse, got accused of labor code violations, which makes this current state of affairs all the more dunderheaded. I saw something about the JJK0 movie having been produced in about four months and speculation about that being a success gave the people drawing up the deadlines a lot of bad ideas about how fast they could expect the studio to turn things around.

Also find myself wondering if the fact that Chainsaw Man (like Kimetsu) being a largely joint project between MAPPA and Shueisha VS the usual roundup of production partners means that it had less ridiculous expectations compared to JJK.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Nobara's only crime (er, in terms of combat ability) is that she doesn't have a completely OP ability that she has next to no control over, like her classmates.

Which... is that even a crime? Especially considering what Sukuna and Mahoroga got up. I wonder what Geto's opinion would've been on the superiority of Sorcerors after seeing them completely obliterate an entire ward of Tokyo.

Hell I kinda wonder what his opinion would've been on Yuji in general, given that Sukuna is an existential threat to just about eeeverybody?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Maybe it's just an understood fact in the setting, but between Sukuna and Bodysnatcher, it seems like evil sorcerers are actually a million, zillion times more dangerous than even the most dangerous cursed spirits? Which puts Geto(true)'s whole philosophy in a pretty comical light

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's a world where JJK has a more traditional narrative arc and doesn't go directly from Goku fighting Jackie Chen in the first world tournament directly to Vegeta and Nappa showing up and killing 60% of the cast and blowing up a whole city, but that is not the world we live in

I don't mind it because frankly there's a lot of stuff like that first thing, but I can see how people would be put off by it

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 22, 2023

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dawgstar posted:

Still wild that the shonen battle series that ignores most of the tropes re: women fighting is Fairy Tail. Which absolutely has its own problems, but that's not one of them and it counts for something.

You do not, under any circumstances, have to hand it to Fairy Tail

That being said, who's the Jump heroine in an action oriented title that makes it out best? Whatserface from Promised Neverland managed to survive that book's whole third person shooter arc without much trouble, but I'm also not 100% sure if you can call it an action title given it spends it's first third as a suspense thriller. Kohaku from Dr. Stone is pretty tough but she's also third string behind a Baki character and a Golgo character.

if you expand the criteria to "anything published under the Jump label" that answer becomes Yayoi from Dark Gathering and i will not be taking any counter-arguments.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I do have to wonder how much of Mappa's issues with JJK are Mappa the studio's fault VS the JJK production partners

Not to say that level of exploitation and unreasonable goals present in "normal" productions in the anime industry is a goal to strive for, but I don't remember hearing the same kind of horror stories around Chainsaw Man or their other projects, except Attack on Titan, which were all framed as being nightmarish in the context of "And they're also doing JJK at the same time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Attestant posted:

Man, that last episode turned in to a bit of a slideshow didn't it.

Also minor season ending thoughts: Man, this is really hitting a personal pet peeve of mine, where a previously fun setting is swapped with an almost post-apocalyptic one, with a dash of weird geopolitics thrown in too. Why couldn't this just have stayed a weird curse school story?

I can understand people's beef here, but there are so, so many stores like that already, I don't really see what JJK loses by not being one

It reminds me of when people get mad about all the crossover bits in Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. They already made 5 movies without those!