Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So this was the episode, huh. I'm really looking forward to seeing the discussion once more people have seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

pork never goes bad posted:

Y'all saying Nobara wasn't a main character are watching a different show or something

Nah, they're just rationalizing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Popo posted:

Meimei was right to flee and I hate that her character will be forever stained not because she was smart/conniving enough to flee (characters don't have to be moral to be good) but because Gege inflicted Uiui on us. You can almost sense MAPPA not being a fan either, making the bed roughly 40 feet wide.

Unrelated to that (mostly) but it's interesting, to me at least, seeing Shibuya being met with a notable amount of hate. I started JJK because people I trusted said it was the most hype arc and while I preferred Hidden Inventory reading the manga made Shibuya pretty great and the anime has pretty much delivered despite some obvious swings in production. I get it's a ton of action which might put some off who are wanting story but it's still odd seeing this negative reaction from a considerable number of people.

I'm curious about the context of the negativity you're seeing, assuming it's from places outside this thread. Was it like that for most/all of Shibuya, did it start when Nanami died or Nobara got her skull blown open?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

There's plenty of negativity in the thread too (ie from me!) - it's not just that Nobara got her skull blown open though that's pretty egregious, but the whole thing feels sorta like a rug pull to me. I wanted more S1, I got a different show that sidelined the cool female protag. I've been more mixed on S2 from the beginning of Hidden Inventory, but my opinion has steadily crystallized into a negative one over the course of the season.

Sure, that's fair. I'm mostly just trying to learn if the negativity was always there, like with you, or if it started around when popular characters started dying. And to be clear, I think the negativity is warranted

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Collapsing Farts posted:

im sorry to inform you that this anime is from japan
the girls never stood a chance

You will have to make do with these beautiful twinks instead

JJK is significantly worse about it than most shonen anime imo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Asuron posted:

I'm sorry have you actually watched most shonen. Absolutely not, that's a horrendous take and completely wrong

I've seen enough shonen to have an educated take and no, I don't think I'm wrong about this.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Asuron posted:

I'm sorry, but when you have poo poo like this

and that type of poo poo is common in most shonen if you've watched any, I don't know how you can legitimately stand by stating you think JJK is one of the worst in how it handles women. It doesn't even crack the top 20.

Well, JJK just blew open its female lead's skull, to start with.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Asuron posted:

Are you really saying that having a lead character getting taken out for narrative and emotional beats ( however good or bad you view that decision ), is worse than female ( usually underage) characters being sexually assaulted constantly and played off a gag joke?

I just want to understand the argument here, because that's crazy to me if that's what you're saying.

Having female characters accomplish nothing then get murdered is pretty fuckin bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YES bread posted:

in addition im going to side-eye anyone who chooses the cartoon for 14 year old boys as their moral battleground

This very show displayed that even the cartoons for 14 year old boys don't have to be misogynistic.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

UnderFreddy posted:

which women are dead? Nobara (maybe), Junpeis mom, the girl Gojo and Geto was defending and Maki (maybe)?

Keep in mind that person might be a manga reader.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean that isn't the issue because that implies that the issue is a single character or single instance, when the issue is how the work treats female characters in aggregate and how stark the divide is between that and how male characters are treated in aggregate

personally it doesn't stop me from enjoying the show because i expected it to come with the territory of shounen, but i mean come on that's not a fair reduction of the problem

mei mei having a weird little brother age gap-incest thing going on i find very distasteful and i don't think the concept that fiction should be allowed to explore that subject matter on its own justifies its inclusion. it's not exactly a nuanced dive into the topic of female predators. i mean idk i think i'm more sensitive to that kind of thing than other people around here so maybe it's not a big deal, but this is a topic that i feel ok being a bit overly-sensitive on, and the point i was making was the one female character in the arc with notable screen time is also the one who you have to be ok with the age gap-incest thing to be a fan of. which is not the best when that's the sole female character who has a notable plot impact or amount of emotional focus in the arc.

I don't think either of those posters is particularly interested in the topic.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I'm not a manga reader. I've referenced one manga fact in this discussion under a spoiler tag because it could putatively be offered as a counterexample to me which I learned from unspoilered discussion in this thread earlier. I probably should have just skipped it, though, cause I get that it sucks.

Anyway, these will likely be my last posts on the topic because it's kinda shutting down other discussions and I don't wanna take away space for fans to be excited together about something that they love. Like I said, I don't think liking this show makes you sexist or something stupid like that, and I have basically made my point that the show is sexist and some of y'all have made my point that many fanboys of the show can't admit that. I hope the season's conclusion is satisfying for y'all. I am gonna watch the rest and I'm excited to see what Yuki's power is. Heck, if the season ends well I might even be back for S3.

You aren't a manga reader, but the twitter poster is. I actually think it's entirely reasonable for anime onlies to see the pattern the Twitter poster is calling out, the indicators are all there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Welp, I would normally never say this, but I hope the next season of the anime has considerable rewrites.