Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
This is the only half decent shounen I've seen in probably several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Big Shishio Makoto vibes

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

PSYCHIC TANDEM WAR ELEPHANT

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

I watched this and it was very good. Surprised it's not getting more attention on SA. A really good, well animated fighting anime with a few decent turns to keep it fresh

Not to disabuse you of the notion that SA is a bastion of good taste, but there is a 1200 page thread on My Hero Academia lol

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

MHA attracts a lot of discussion largely because it's flawed in ways that provoke bitter arguments. With Jujutsu Kaisen there often isn't much to say beyond "Wow, that was a good episode/chapter."

I don't think it's quite fair to reduce it down to the fact that it's flawed and thus generates discussion. I admittedly don't read the threads about it, but just flicking through it's most just regular discussion with normal nitpicking, from a general position of "it's good, but". If anything, its popularity here seems outsized even compared to elsewhere.

Don't mind me though, I'm just being grumpy and incendiary because to me it represents almost everything objectionable in modern anime, shonen or otherwise.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I agree it's like HxH, but I wouldn't ascribe it to a particular cast makeup or something like in-world power consistency etc. Lots of garbage shounen have intricate, logical and well-explained power systems.

The difference, to me, is that it's pitched at an obviously older audience. It covers darker themes, has slightly more adult humour, and in general isn't just suffused with the facile stuff that makes most shounen shows extremely tiresome past the age of ~16.

Honestly it's not even that high a bar, but most shows fail to clear it. Fan service, cheesiness, vague power fantasy fulfilment just tend to land better than good plotting, moral ambiguity, complex themes. Ultimately I don't think you can ask too much though, these are in the end children's shows, for children. It's just that few shows manage to both capture both the liberating and fun aspect of kid's cartoons while not being off-puttingly moronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Stylistically, HxH breaks a lot of dumb shounen tropes for the better, but from an overall narrative PoV, the author is also madly in love with breaking the cardinal 'show, don't tell' rule of storytelling, yeah. If you find that deeply off-putting, I can understand why the show might fall flat. The author obviously has a massive didactic bent and loves to meta-comment on everything that is happening.

Honestly, sometimes it's irritating and sometimes it's charming. It doesn't really detract from everything that makes the show great for me though. It is a show with a lot of whizz-bang explosions, so I can see how constantly stepping outside of that to comment on what is happening might feel like pace-killing bullshit, but in general the fights and such in the show are often intentionally highlighted as psychological/intellectual/strategic, not strictly eye candy. Many of the key fight-y bits of the show would make little to no sense without explanations, and are not simple enough to be comprehensible purely visually. It would be a different and ultimately probably a shallower show without it, imo, but each to their own.