Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hidden in plain sight, an age-old conflict rages on. Supernatural monsters known as "Curses" terrorize humanity from the shadows, and powerful humans known as "Jujutsu" sorcerers use mystical arts to exterminate them. When high school student Yuuji Itadori finds a dried-up finger of the legendary Curse Sukuna Ryoumen, he suddenly finds himself joining this bloody conflict...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bZVdTgXoY

No manga spoilers this is for the anime only -- hop over to the JJK Manga Thread to discuss the manga!

Watch it on CR: https://www.crunchyroll.com/jujutsu-kaisen

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
First episode is up! It was very fun, love the little visual gags happening while other stuff is going on :3

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Manga discussion can go in the shonen thread I guess but if anyone does want to jump on it SJ has the first 7 chapters up for free right now
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1312091873994067969?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like you may also run into webtoon adaptions being kind of a different animal than an adaption for a pretty popular Shonen Jump title. I would expect this to compare more to something like Demon Slayer tbh and I hope it does as well as that did. Different studio of course so that could be a factor as well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

my main hope is that the action is a lot easier to follow than it sometimes is in the manga

Yeah, my hope for the adaption is that it elevates the source material because while I do really enjoy the manga there have been instances where the pacing was kinda weird, like some time skips that left me wondering if I'd missed a chapter, and the action scenes can be hard to parse sometimes. The fight clips from the PV looked great though, looking forward to the next ep and seeing the full thing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love the ED :3:

had a grin on my face watching the first bit of the episode as well, that was really fun.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 9, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I really liked some of the changes made from the manga in the second episode. Rather than just chilling on a park bench, the conversation between Gojo and Itadori takes place while he's finishing the funeral rites for his grandfather and picking up his bones. Kinda conveys Itadori's feelings at the moment better I think.

I think the conversation with the principal doesn't quite underscore that basically being mentally unwell is pretty much a requirement for the job. You have to be a person who can generate negative feelings/thoughts powerful enough to use your jujutsu, but also be able to control/use them and stay at least somewhat rational. And the job pretty much has you consistently in proximity to death and the worst parts of humanity. You have to have something wrong with you to do it, but someone has to do it.

If you're not a manga reader this is something to really keep in mind- anyone who's a Jujutsu Sorcerer in this story, "good guy" or not, they all have something very deeply wrong with them (or are suffering terribly, even if it's quietly) and that's literally where their power comes from.

One of the reasons I like it a lot is that it could very easily take the above ^ and slide into super edgy territory because it does get pretty dark at times, but it uses humor really well to break up what could be unrelenting tragedy and kinda keep things grounded by building connections between the characters. It also helps to humanize some of the weirder or more gimmicky characters. It kinda leans into shounen battle comic goofiness to its advantage.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 10, 2020

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/twodeehoes_/status/1315363102506934272?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nobara is pretty great.

:yeah:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol, was it? spelling has never been one of my strong skills :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm glad there is a specific Do Not Eat warning

lmao

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/gill57673963/status/1330424000430837760?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
thread is now the Nanami Appreciation Zone

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/eggbuttertoast/status/1335081846321737728?s=20

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always liked the way it gave a reason for everyone to shout their ability names or go on a big monologue about how their power worked because it made the effects stronger, like it's still just kind of a genre convention but it having some in-world purpose was entertaining

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read a quote somewhere that the anime staff were told "Gojo has the sky in his eyes" and that's how they interpreted it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I added a link to the manga thread to the OP https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960719
for whenever folks are ready to dig into the manga and want to talk about it in more detail

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kemono Jihen will not be slandered in this thread.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

Kemono Jihen will not be slandered in this thread.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

Here's the actual page since I hadn't looked at it for a while:

lmao I didn't remember this
the best manga extras are just the author talking about what a goob they are

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like that the women in the cast can just be characters without having to also be vehicles for fanservice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Collapsing Farts posted:

There's plenty of fanservice in the show, it's just mostly muscled male bodies

Chaotic Flame posted:

And it's a better series for it