Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Taima posted:

Oh and I don't like how they include guns at all. But I get that it's in the manga. The implications are just wild though; we've already established that Gojo could barely sense Toji once he got worn down, why didn't he just use a sniper rifle at that point or something? Stupid. Leave guns out of it, sheesh.

Gojo only dropped his guard once they were in Jujutsu High's barrier, meaning a long range attack would've needed to come from inside the premises. Sneaking in ahead of time to set up a sniper's nest would've increased Toji's chances of being detected, and there was no telling when and where or if Gojo would relax his Six Eyes.

Furthermore, Toji's only sure counter to Limitless was the Inverted Spear of Heaven. He planned the ambush around keeping up just enough pressure on Gojo where he'd be confident he could take Toji on his own, while also being on the backfoot and prone to making mistakes, which for Toji to capitalize on with the spear to score the kill necessitated him being close. And part of the contract was apparently to bring back Riko's corpse so he couldn't simply take a kill shot on her then skedaddle, either.

While successful sniping would've saved him a lot of effort, I think it reasonable for Toji to have believed this a gamble that'd put him in a somewhat worse position if it failed, and part of his character for the brief time we spend with him is that while he casually gambles away his money (and with awful luck) he's very cautious and meticulous in the way he approaches the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tabletops posted:

surely gojo could easily kill 7 billion people.

It'd take him a number of years but yeah, he could. He's physically unstoppable, near inexhaustible, can teleport vast distances, and has the firepower to level a city in short order.

Gojo is loving jujutsu superman.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Just destroy critical infrastructure worldwide and that's gonna halve the population within a few months.

I'd say take out world leaders while at it but, frankly, having the dysfunctional G20 governments desperately fumbling through the crisis would probably just get more people killed than the alternative.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JJK is something of an inversion of the common trope with non-strictly worded magical contracts, here being essentially vibes-based rather than prime opportunities to show off your rules lawyering - attempting to loophole your way out of one is incredibly risky.

Mechamaru probably considered the contract prevented him of setting up any sort of early warning, and we're shown this is the exact same type of veil that was used during the interschool tournament arc, so it was likely already up as soon as the contract was fulfilled despite the delayed visual effect.

ED: he's also a 17yo kid that's ended here in the first place through a series of extremely questionable decisions born out of a mix of extenuating personal circumstances and fundamental character flaws.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 10, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wait, what is it that you think this neuters?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Southern Cassowary posted:

it fucks with the vibes of a lot of the writing of the show. i thought suguru was an incredibly effective villain because he was a human who was both failed by jujutsu society and let down by his personal failings. he had multiple forks in the road and took the wrong one to genocidal every time, and juxtaposing him with gojo's growth as a person and their friendship/rivalry, nanami's dissatisfaction with normal society and the path he took to handle it instead, and the current ills of jujutsu sorcerer society was effective writing. having the plot go "lol, 80% of what he did was a cursed spirit" mitigates a lot of that, and in my mind makes what made the writing in this show feel compelling instead feel a lot more standard.

you've also effectively lost the brotherhood/friendship angle the gojo and suguru conflict had. imagine how effective gojo being stuck in the prison realm is if suguru is human and gojo has to live with his denial that he's not seeing suguru because he's changed to such a degree, and not because gojo was like "yo that's a loving brain spirit." it's an emotional heartbreaker rather than whatever this is.

I'm still not following. The story you're talking about already played out to its conclusion - Gojo was forced to kill his friend at the end of JJK:Z.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Southern Cassowary posted:

there's a zillion ways for suguru to still be human and have been killed at the end of the movie in a show filled with magical sorcerers, particularly when the show opens with the guy clearly still being alive somehow, and this one is incredibly unsatisfying and makes suguru a significantly less compelling villain

I think that's the wrong perspective to look at events from. JJK:Z shows us a Suguru, and the previous arc how is it that he became that person, and it is that information which recontextualizes every appearance "Suguru" then has in JJK.

A core aspect of his character is that he loathed non-sorcerers to the point of genuine physical revulsion, and we learn this came about because despite being the source of cursed spirits (which he also viscerally hated), sorcerers were meant to sacrifice themselves for the sake of propping up their witless society.

So what's up with "Suguru" being all chummy with cursed spirits, and not at all minding surrounding himself with non-sorcerers during leisure time? In fact, he never expresses contempt for anything or anyone, when his hatred (and corollary love for sorcerers, even those who'd oppose him) was previously such a fundamental part of what made the character tick.

The conclusion to draw from that would be he either had a weirdly drastic change of heart that undermines the entirety of his previously developed character arc (and tragic conclusion), or that this chronologically new Suguru is actually a fake of some sort.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Normies don't know about them jujuwasits, no.

Major incidents are implied to be relatively rare and sorcerers do coverups (part of the job of the black-suited managers) to keep it all under wraps. This situation in Shibuya must be the largest case of jujutsu terrorism in the modern era, much worse than the one by Suguru's faction in JJK:Z considering the number of civilians deliberately caught in it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maki and Toji have the same thing going on to different degrees, right? What is she, like a 50% Toji? Maybe 25%?

although I imagine fighting experience is also a big part of why he's an absolute nightmare and she's just regular scary

Yeah, it's a Heavenly Restriction that trades your capability to interact with cursed energy for increased physical abilities, and with her being the second Zen'in with it in as many generations, implies it's a trait that sporadically reoccurs in the family.

Toji was the rare (and perhaps entirely unique) peak expression of it, being completely removed from cursed energy, since if people on his level historically popped up more often it'd have likely grown to be considered as valuable as Megumi's Ten Shadows.

Maki would've still been told to stay in the kitchen, though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Taima posted:

The best part of the new episode is when Megumi is fighting Seance-Toji and one of the bunnies come in on a web sling like spiderman?!

That's a pipe

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

And not last episode that straight up had black screens over missing scenes?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mons Hubris posted:

I guess I didn’t notice the absence of a scene as much as how bad it looked while Itadori and Mahito were walking down that hallway.

Using the still of Yuji staring at the hole before it actually happens to paper over Sukuna walking away victorious bugged me more than the lack of in-betweens.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'd say that where Nobara stands above the other two is having the exact right mindset for jujutsu, but she lacks Megumi's busted CT or Yuji's abnormal physical constitution, which is what's letting them keep up with the adults.

It's also worth noting that sorcerer grading is half politics; Gojo wanted them moved up to increase their influence, and the requirement for Grade 1 is to be considered strong enough to defeat Grade 1 curses, which the main cast certainly is, but we see folks like Mei Mei/Nanami/Todo who fall within the classification because it encompasses anyone short of Special Grade, and there's a clear gap in how those carry themselves in fights compared to the main trio, with Yuji probably the closest to getting there but still fumbling.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

This is Mikasa erasure.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It makes complete sense if you consider it a hierarchy put together (and successively maintained) by the more powerful and influential sorcerers around: they're themselves of course Grade Number One, those below them are 2nd/3rd/4th tier weaklings, and anyone above them is a freak "Special Grade".

It's an arbitrary and politicized classification system.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 27, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

This is the best JJK has had to offer so might as well bow out now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Natural 20 posted:

I'm a fan of cool fights, don't get me wrong, but the entire arc is just one cool fight after the next with no character development or intrigue really.

It's because this is the pay-off arc for all the intrigue from the first half of the series.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That was some eye popping animation, for sure.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you think about it, this is the realest type of shounen coming-of-age, since the quirky young cast can only watch in horror as the machinations of ancient monsters take their future away from them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

IDK Nobara always felt kind of like a side character to me. In fact, this happened so long ago in the manga that I had legitimately forgotten she existed until she showed up for the start of this arc.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Jerkface posted:

She shows up in chapter 3 and is there for everything. Its more egregious in the anime because the finale of last season is literally her and Yuji doing a sick super power combo. Shibuya has a major shift in focus away from the main characters, and Nobara in particular gets sidelined more, but she is represented in a lot of the story up to this point.

Word-of-mouth is that Nobara was an editorial suggestion, and while I can't assure the way I perceive her is wholly disentangled from the benefit of hindsight, with the way things turned out I can certainly see how she was never truly part of the core concept for the story.

She wasn't housing some ancient evil, she wasn't inheritor of some rare bloodline magic, nor was she some kind of irregular by the setting standards (that's Maki), nor was she portrayed as training super hard to like measure up or whatever (that's also Maki), and even down to the basic group dynamic - you've got Yuji and Megumi being foils to each other, while all Nobara has is being a Bad Bitch (like Maki) who doesn't even like hanging out with the other students.

In that context, I'd say going out with a smile is a far more dignified end than turning into a screentime hanger-on for the remaining 70% of the series, as is the fate of many almost-but-never-quite core cast characters that get sidelined in battle shounens.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Best boy is here.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I carry a JO crystal in my pocket like a normal person.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Except that's a card that you can only play once. Once the "core team" is vulnerable, you've got a lot more cynical caution from viewers, so the villain who does the takedown gets less hype every time you try it later.

And when Mahito's gone at the end of the arc, that's firing off a pretty big gun on a relatively small conflict.

The gently caress are you talking about? Because of Mahito going chop chop on beloved supporting characters, the stage is set for survival against big hitters always being a coin flip from now on. Only Yuji gets the plot armor, and only in so far as he'll get to make it to the end, not necessarily the epilogue.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I joked about it, primarily because it was the promotional material and fanbase making a bigger deal out of Nobara than the narrative ever tangibly did, but fundamentally JJK is not sexist enough for me to care. When it comes to violence against women in anime, if it doesn't feel gratuitous or titillating, I actually kind of welcome it since having an appealing character design/concept should not be a form of plot armor. Those schoolgirls from Geto's group with sad backstories and powerful character motivations? In and out Gege, in and out.

And I'll note this kind of sudden sidelining/death in JJK also happens to guys with similarly interesting character concepts, so it's just being even-handed. That folks in certain online spaces only get hung up on the gals kicking it is, I'm sure, not at all related to why appealing female characters tend to have plot armor in anime.

Regarding plot relevance, JJK is a story about dudepunching, in a setting where dudepunching is a male-dominated field between :biotruths: and explicitly in-universe sexism, which even informs the backstory and disposition of a few female characters. But the author is clearly not interested in having these characters and their experiences be central to the story; rather, their struggles and suffering are used to showcase other facets of how the setting's (and our contemporaries when they mirror) social/power structures are flawed. Because it's a story about a hella flawed system.

This approach is entirely reasonable, and I can't find it in me to be upset the author isn't meeting some arbitrary representation quota by having more women be heavy-hitting, core story-movers with fleshed out character arcs. I know we get a couple really cool ones, and I'm good with that much.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

...do we even see a curse classroom at any point?

Yes, several times.

However, off the top of my head we only ever see the students attending lessons for Yuta's "introduce yourself to class" segment in JJK0, and in silent montages.

This seems in line with most battle school-themed serials I've seen, that will have one maybe two scenes total with a teacher providing lessons in the classroom throughout their entire run. I peg it on Japan's obsession with highschool being a ball and chain for authors not actually interested in school settings (or depicting the boring parts of thereof at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Flailing his arms in rapid motion until the wheel snaps and he throws an uppercut that connects :allears: