Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

She was a cool character, and its also very good that cool characters die in a popular series. It is refreshing that you literally don't know the longevity of a character based on screentime/centrality/cool factor. About my only concern is that there aren't all that many interesting characters left, but hopefully new ones come along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

What attracted me to JJK was the back half of season 1 as I've said before. Which was an ensemble of characters I found interesting that I wanted to see grow from strength to strength with a core of three who I enjoyed, even though the main character was probably the most boring of them. It wasn't some sort of superlative show but I was really loving hyped by Chimera Shadow Garden and the loving double kill at the end was absolutely outstanding. I thought the pacing was really solid as well, with breathing room between arcs, whether it be getting to know the guys from the new school or a loving baseball episode.
I think its fair to have those expectations when watching a shonen anime, but S2 has made it pretty clear that JJK wasn't intended to be that kind of show. It is specifically subverting a lot of the typical tropes and doesn't follow the standard formula. There's been a pretty big shift in the Young Adult literature over time to where death is no longer reserved for just the morally ambiguous ally or the father figure stand-in in the final chapter. When central characters die that enables the protagonists to experience grief and loss in a more profound sense during the story instead of just as part of its culmination. This trend is in everything from Games of Thrones, to Stranger Things and the last arc of Bleach. The shibuya arc is a pretty big statement piece that the structure of the story doesn't conform to the usual boundaries of the genre - and in some sense its probably just the genre changing as well.