Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
e:

Anyways, I just got the the "death" of Nobara and, quite frankly, this series has all the tools needed to bring her back even if she's 100% dead. Like, we just got Megumi's dad at full power running around in somebody's else body and he was a certified stiff.

So, if they ever need someone with a hammer as the rest have their DBZ fight that levels a city block they can have her back.

But, if she's gone for good then she reached levels of jobbing that Yamcha would be in awe of. She arrives to the big big fight and doesn't even realize what the gently caress. What a way to go.

And then, in the very next episode, Todo arrives to the fight and then the show goes "holy poo poo! Todo is here! things got real! holy poo poo brotha is here!!!" lol.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wheres the crow lady

Waiting for some extra cash to motivate her

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pork never goes bad posted:

There's plenty of negativity in the thread too (ie from me!) - it's not just that Nobara got her skull blown open though that's pretty egregious, but the whole thing feels sorta like a rug pull to me. I wanted more S1, I got a different show that sidelined the cool female protag. I've been more mixed on S2 from the beginning of Hidden Inventory, but my opinion has steadily crystallized into a negative one over the course of the season.

I got a similar experience. I really enjoyed S1 so I was really onboard S2 at first (the young Gojo chapters were good) but then it became a very different show to what I expected and it honestly isn't very good.

So I went ahead and read the manga to see if things get better and lol, no. Not even close.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asuron posted:

It’s been a weird discourse around season 2.

Shibuya was seen as one of the best arcs in shonen in the manga and the anime for its part has only elevated it. But then I see complaints about killing off characters from anime only people and stuff about there being nonstop fights ( which season 1 was as well, just back to back fights) and it’s a very different reaction to the same story being told.

I’m just really confused at the conversation around it all. Maybe it’s just certain circles throwing up the issues and the complaints are insulated . I know amongst the general people who don’t engage in online discourse, they’re all loving it

S1 had, IMO, a very good balance between the light hearted and the serious stuff, which I greatly enjoyed. S2 is just generally dour, which is neither good nor bad by itself, but it's not what I was expecting. Fights are excellent in both seasons but the feeling of the fights is different, if that makes any sense.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RevolverDivider posted:

The idea that Shibuya should've instead been the characters from the joint school event all showing up and beating up the disaster curses is just so much more a generic and less ballsy way to go then how Shibuya actually plays out.

I don't think anybody is saying that the arc ain't ballsy, or that being ballsy is bad, it's just that it does it in a -for lack of a better term- cheap way. Like, you can have Nobara join Itadori to fight alongside him against mahito for a bit, have some cool scenes and dialog before she gets the bad touch. Her getting suddenly tagged just cheated the readers from some good stuff in exchange for shock value (which can work if done well but here, IMO, it didn't).

Sure, she is a nobody in comparison with sukuna's vessel and sukuna's boy crush, it's not like anybody expected her to do that much, but at least let her keep some of her dignity.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

She had incredible potential

Ain't that the issue?

So now, when Itadori needs some fresh powerful ally he'll have to depend on some newly introduced powerful character or have something silly like Miwa going SSJ and kicking rear end for some reason.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

can someone let me know what this "so much promise" was

Basically JJK is a very competent but fairly by-the-numbers shounen that has a darker/more mature setting than most. It was the exploration of this setting where the promise of the show was. More specifically, it was how it could balance the typical shounen stuff (power of friendship, power levels/growth, school BS, etc) with the more mature stuff (Actually threatening villains, serious consequences, etc) that I personally liked.

It also has really cool fights

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

i more mean like, which specific story beats or moments made you go "oh, this show isn't like the rest" setting you up for this big let down

because the only one i remember being particularly noteworthy was yuji's friend dying, which was extremely in line with what's been happening this season

For the serious/dark themes Junpei getting killed is certainly a highlight. The setup and consequences were well crafted and it gives you a better idea of who mahito, itadori, and sukuna are. In other words, his death was not a cheap plot device.

As far as action goes the fight against Hanami is tops.

For comedy / light hearted stuff I would go with the Baseball game.

It's the balance of all that and how it could transition between different vibes that made it better than the rest.

pork never goes bad posted:

(or male-coded curses that might technically be genderless but I digress - they're dude-coded and get he/him pronouns in almost all discussion I've seen so they're dudes)

Hanami is deffo a girl (and maybe Krang is one too, lol, that loving brain came out of nowhere)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 24, 2023

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I missing something? Didn’t that person that came with Todo heal Nobara a little and say she may not be dead? Why is everyone assuming she’s killed off?

'Cuz she got touched in the head by the if I touch you you die man.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Im ok with her dying, if she is dead, but I think my problem with her death is how she died. I think if she got tagged while actually fighting with Yuji, or through some clever trick from Mahito it would’ve felt better

This is pretty much what everybody is saying. Girl was just "whoops, I got distracted by the clone and let the bad touch man tag me, like a moron... is that the script on the floor? does it say that I have to die right now? so that Yuji can despair a bit until best bro makes his appearance to save the day? fuccck."

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 24, 2023

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Suuure, but usually in anime if a character is not 100% confirmed dead there’s a good chance they’ll come back, and that’s even without someone flat out saying there’s a chance

counterpoint: she got a flashback scene. she dead. them the rules.

they can eventually bring her back from the dead (as shown by Megumi's very dead dad running around and kicking very alive rear end) but that's something different.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dipwood posted:

Because they read the manga. We established this lovely spoiler a few pages back.

Nah, I read online only half of the next arc in the manga (it's unbelievably lovely so I stopped reading) and no nobara to be found

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just you wait until Mei Mei saves the day by having Ui Ui teleport Sukuna into a bird sanctuary.