Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I watched the movie after the prequel episodes aired, so everything flowed chronologically for me up to this point. I'm also a bit disappointed by the Krang reveal, from a narrative perspective, but mostly because there was nothing in-between these events. With the prequel episodes + movie right before the present day episodes, it felt like this was some sort of continuation of Suguru's character arc, like as mentioned why he is hanging out with people he would normally hate, but all of that just went out the window. However, I'm holding out hope that Krang T. Geto is a more important character than currently revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Cedilla posted:

(The names don't help either; we've screwed up Toji, Toge, and Todo at least a few times.)

What's wrong, you don't like having a Nanami and Hanami in the same season, or Gojo and Jogo? I'm just thinking the author is bad at names.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

JJK is a bog standard shonen series and it's unapologetic about that. Everyone knows what they signed up for. It checks all the boxes down to the personalities and power dynamics of the main trio.

The Dark Tournament was one of my favorite parts of YYH and it was basically nothing but fighting. I don't think you need much intrigue and character development for these kinds of shows. Often times, it ends up being detrimental to the action. Like if you add a bunch of plot hooks and questions that don't get resolved, or all the characters just ignore or forget about. I think even Nanami's swan song was kind of heavy-handed.

Also, I would only say it pays off the first half if Real Geto makes a return somehow. As it stands, all that it accomplished was making Gojo hesitate long enough to get mazed, and I'm not sure an entire flashback arc and movie were necessary for that, although they were pretty cool.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 28, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Chainsaw Man did it better

dipwood fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 1, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I took it to mean that Mahito Prime is so much faster than his clone that Nobara had no time to react. His clone got one shot by Yuji instantly. Nobara had no chance to survive no matter what she did. I didn't see anyone complain when Jogo basically teleport killed* 3 people at once, and he's not only weaker than Mahito (I think), but the people he killed were faster and stronger than Nobara.

*Since he failed to kill Nanami completely, and I only saw old guy's charred corpse, Maki might still be alive.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Well thanks to this I know she's dead and not coming back for sure.

In fact, the general attitude of the not-so-subtle manga readers tells me this and also that Maki is not dead, because she's not getting this kind of discussion.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Mahito's voice actor is killing it. He's embraced the cringe.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

MAPPA had to budget this season by characters in alphabetical order, that's why Choso got all the funding.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Maka Albarn from Soul Eater is a contender for sure. As far as I'm aware she gets to beat all the main villains for each arc she's in and never gets sexualised or disrespected by the narrative.

Edit: Huh, turns out Soul Eater and Fairy Tail aren't actually Shounen Jump. I guess that explains why the girls are allowed to fight.

It's called Shounen Jump not Shoujo Jump, duh.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I missing something? Didn’t that person that came with Todo heal Nobara a little and say she may not be dead? Why is everyone assuming she’s killed off?

Because they read the manga. We established this lovely spoiler a few pages back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Asuron posted:

This is accurate for JJK I believe , Gege was never going to add in the school setting, it was a mandate from his editors.

This makes sense if it's true. It's always so bizarre when they refer to "Jujutsu High" when they're clearly secret shadowy cabal government workers. Chainsaw Man supremacy yet again!!

It works for MHA because they're explicitly normalizing hero society.