Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
nice tiles thin looking hand, mine looks like sausages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What a snipe, cheers 99

Spice rack complete

Pretty happy with it!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

It's ages since I posted in this thread, and I'm not really sure where the thread is up to compared to the house. Also I promise I will start taking actual "before" pictures.

Various projects:

Hallway
The artex in here was pretty overpowering, so we added some wood to make it a bit nicer.

Prep

This rad will have to come off, annoying. Chair rail cut and fitted.

Mainly using this hardboard, which doesn't look pretty now but serves the purpose of covering up artex.

Test fit. Something like that.

That looks better.

Rad off, boarding and chair rail up

An outside corner, exciting! This needed skirting as well. It is amazing how much better this looked even unpainted, the gap between plasterboard and floor was bad.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Add paint

Paint door frames as well

Adding this fake panelling makes such a difference, the featureless artex was just too much.

Didn't paint the returns or doors, wasn't sure if we should. I'm thinking we will at some point, probably?

Toilet

Get this rusty thing off, and replace bad old foam seals

Largest wrench required

Tough Motherfucker

Toilet refitted

Toilet tested, filler seems to be leaking in to the ceiling below - how?

Where does this overflow pipe go?

Nowhere. Awesome

I removed the toilet, and had to get a new outlet with built in overflow. Great fun...

LOFT
Loft is happening, starting in the summer. After some debate we decided to get pros in because we decided to have a dormer and that isn't something I can do by myself in my spare time. Because if I did the house would have a massive hole in the roof for a year.

I'll post a plan and such like soon.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Anti archives bump, actual content very soon

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
that panelling looks really good and now i want to do some

but if i want to make panelling i need a workshop....

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

poo poo just got real

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You bought all the materials, does that mean there's a plan?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You bought all the materials, does that mean there's a plan?

It does! Here is a before picture, for posterity:

Notice the wacko different roof pitch at the left hand side - this might cause issues later.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

And here is...

EL PLAN

Two new bedrooms and a bathroom - a lot of work.

As the peak height of the loft is very high we can do a pitched roof dormer for the bathroom, which I think look nicer. Cost more too.

A lot of the wood in my previous post is for the joists: these must be put in certain places to stop me falling through the floor.

I'm still not settled on the bathroom plan. The toilet needs to go on the right hand wall and going into the void, but other than that there are limited constraints.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

That's a neat design. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Are you doing it all yourself?!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I considered it, but I am working full time and it just isn't feasible to build a dormer in weekends and evenings so the pros are in. They are predicting 4 weeks!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Brick up the front of the dormer or some timber construction or something?

The builders merchant I mainly use here wouldnt sell me c16 timbers. Said nah mate no one wants that so we don't bother. I probably got scammed again.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Brick up the front of the dormer or some timber construction or something?

The builders merchant I mainly use here wouldnt sell me c16 timbers. Said nah mate no one wants that so we don't bother. I probably got scammed again.

Timber construction with tile.

Progress this far: hole

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

scaffolding though too. That's posh. also must have been a somewhat complicated setup with the extension below in the way? A fair few quid I shouldn't wonder. Did you get a quote for scaffolding over the whole top, like a temporary roof, or is that silly for just a loft/dormer maybe?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

scaffolding though too. That's posh. also must have been a somewhat complicated setup with the extension below in the way? A fair few quid I shouldn't wonder. Did you get a quote for scaffolding over the whole top, like a temporary roof, or is that silly for just a loft/dormer maybe?

Only 600 quid on the bill, which surprised me, thought it would be more. Access is pretty good at both sides and they aren't using a tower. It is on the extension roof, I'll get a picture next time I'm up there.

Progress today : dormer frame is up, tarped

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Working at home and I can hear the builders singing along to girls just wanna have fun, good lads

Update as soon as it isn't so loving hot

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Builders must hate work from home. All these bloody thread starting DIY know it alls sitting at home counting their cups of tea and offering YouTube video links of how to do stuff.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just imagining a builder working from home adding someone else's extension onto his own house.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Interlude 1 - why is it raining inside?

It has been hot as Balls in the UK recently, but that has now broken, now it is raining again and all is at it should be. Except there is a lot of water on the inside of this window.

Coming down from the top

Water shouldn't be above this window, the problem is either water running down the cavity or the outside wall and then meeting the window and then finding the path of least resistance, which happens to be into my room.

Ah I see the problem

PO put in the water butt, and the diverter is blocked

This hopper should not be full of water. After releasing the pipe and a couple of hundred litres of fetid water splashing everywhere we have an exposed diverter

Prevention is important, this strainer should stop crud reaching the diverter from the hopper

That should be it, reassemble. However, PO HAS A SECRET

Absolute c unit put a screw through the join to hold the pipe up.

Which blocked the pipe.

That is filed under future me problem and ignored, I have other problems

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

But Doctor, I am PO

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

A lot has happened in the last few weeks! I'll try and get a bit caught up.

This is the roof space. Due to the strange change in roof pitch there are internal brick walls.

In the dormer. These joists are too low. About 2100 off floor.

I have requested they be raised.

Much better, 2350 now.

How does the main space look with some floor down and some more light?

Yeah nice. 3m peak height which is great.

The annoying brick walls have been taken back as much as possible. If we take it back anymore there will a big hole. This room is unfortunately a hit compromised, but not too much.

Dormer external shot:

I wasn't sure about tile, I did consider a screed to match the ground floor but actually it looks really good.

Access is via ladder to scaffold, then mini ladder through the window. Bit awkward, but no impact on the house at the moment.

Scaffold was erected on the extension. Windows were covered to prevent falling debris wrecking them. This also massively reduced the temperature in that room during the hottest day of the year. So thanks!

The scaffold is at the same level as this window.

Which is directly above the ensuite shitter and looks straight into the shower. So taking my morning poo poo became risky, as they loved arriving when I was just beginning to "relax".

Fast forward a couple of days.

Joists being upgraded, perlins removed, insulation added. All good stuff. And a window!

This made a massive difference to the space, beginning to feel like a room.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

drat that looks great.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

Joists being upgraded, perlins removed

How was this decided upon?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

They just told me that was the way to do it. The perlins were on big brick supports, so removing the perlins allowed them to remove the masonry through the space. It was definitely the right choice, made the space much bigger.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Purlins. But ok cool. Lol sorry for being a pedant.

I guess I meant more like did you need structural engineer or owt to sort it.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 6, 2022

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Purlins. But ok cool. Lol sorry for being a pedant.

I guess I meant more like did you need structural engineer or owt to sort it.

No problem, I love pendents.

Was signed off by the engineer when he did the joist design and regs drawings.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The work continues.

Hole in landing ceiling, allows for plasterboard to come through the house rather than up the scaffold.

I furtively use my own ladder to go up and wander around.

It dark.

Meanwhile, outside is pretty much finished.

Father in law described it as a shed on the roof, wife was displeased by that description. I think it is like a cute bird house?

Windows and plasterboard going up. The light is really good. Electric first fix begins.

Cut away of the roof materials.

Tiles/batten/upgraded joist with insulation infill/trifoil/batten/pb

The trifoil is ridiculously good, but your hand on it and it feels uncomfortable just from body heat retention.

Hatch space for access to plumbing.

With plumbing inside.

At this point the build feels like it is rocketing along...

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

At this point the builders are sick of this job and want to get done, so they are really cracking the whip.

Space for window above stairs

To put the stairs in we need a door moving

Pow and the door is gone

This is fine, I am sure

Stairs going in

They look pretty good!

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

drat those stairs look great. Congrats!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Plumbers have been, so now the thread is back on track with bathroom content

Bath

Shower tray

Tiles arrive

Some breakages

Get some more delivered, no bother.....

Hmm tray is moving a lot, this doesn't look right

Plumber comes back and refits. Slaps even more sand and cement under it, still moving. Comes back and tells me in no certain terms that he won't do it again. Call the boss, boss comes and agrees it has to be done again. Basically the sub floor is flexing, original plumber should have pointed that out rather than doing it and then redoing it. Original guy was a bit of a dick from the get go, glad I won't see him again. Boss takes up tray until floor is over plied. Pain in the bum, but I had to overply anyway so carrying it on under the tray to firm up the floor is not a problem.

Originally I was down to do the entire bathroom fit, but there were some crossed wires and the boss thought I was doing the first fix as well. Since I don't want to get up on a ladder to do that I needed to come to an agreement, which was send the whole job out. Kind of glad I did now, even if they aren't cheap it is work I don't have to do.

Bathroom skimmed
[timg]https:/i.imgur.com/2WblC9i.jpg[/timg]

Tanking begins

Tanking complete

Tiling initiated

Tiling canceled - too big a gap to the bath

Tiling resumed with batten

Looks ok

Should have offset to prevent slivers, gently caress

Other wall is better

Need to complete tiling except for bottom row around tray, overply, get plumber back to do tray, finish tanking, finish tiling, fit floor, fit bath surround, tile bath surround, get plumber back to fit shower, toilet, sink, then fit a new light. Then it is done?

Except for three other rooms, and the landing, and stairs, and gently caress loads else.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Tiling update

Its reasonably straight and level, but mixed up way more adhesive than I could get through - these go on a lot slower than the big ones, but don't need back buttering which is nice.

The plan is to tile solidly tomorrow and try and get it finished, ply the floor on Wednesday and have the plumbers fit the tray ASAP.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No waterproofing behind any of that tile?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Whole shower area is tanked and the first 2 feet of the bath area. Goopy stuff that goes on with a roller. There will be tanking strips round the tray once the tray is (re) fitted.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CancerCakes posted:

Whole shower area is tanked and the first 2 feet of the bath area. Goopy stuff that goes on with a roller. There will be tanking strips round the tray once the tray is (re) fitted.

Oh, the stuff I've used is usually a bright color so you can tell it was applied.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah the tanking like rubber paint stuff I've used before was blue, then black.

Bit of blue there top left first coat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"Oh hey a new project thread, wait, 2020?"

How have I missed this? Some real big work going on, the attic conversion looks great.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Ta JB

The bathroom is currently in limbo due to the floor being a little springy, so I will update on another room - bedroom/home office

Plastering complete, paint begins

Pay no heed to the monster hole

Mist, base, top coats complete

Cut in

Feature wall finished, start floor laying

Better trim this door otherwise I will be stuck in here for ever

Last row, coincides with door

Cut bottom of architrave to make it neat

Need to get this nail out

Ah, it was a screw, that's why I couldn't get it out

Threshold done

Hatches fitted

Mask

Edge beading applied with glue

Complete! Except for radiator and light

Light is fitted, but no picture. Radiator will be done soon.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

When I eventually get our attic done I will be extremely chuffed if it looks anything like as good as yours.

Also - I'm the plasterers' crocs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what goes behind the hatches? weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Gasmask posted:

When I eventually get our attic done I will be extremely chuffed if it looks anything like as good as yours.

Also - I'm the plasterers' crocs

Cheers

Those are my crocs and my invisible legs

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what goes behind the hatches? weapons?

I said pay no heed to the monster holes