Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Linking the Wikipedia article on Orthogenesis which should give more context on the author's philosophical rambling at the end:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogenesis

To me this concept seems to be an almost mystical belief in Progress with a capital 'P', particularly Hebert Spencer's take, as though evolution is guided by a mysterious force. (I am rusty on philosophy in case I am off the mark here). Evolution and progress are frequently confused with each other. I'm sure the subsequent Great Wars knocked some sense into people.

Of course, like anything with philosophy, it's kind of complicated:

quote:

Numerous versions of orthogenesis (see table) have been proposed. Debate centred on whether such theories were scientific, or whether orthogenesis was inherently vitalistic or essentially theological

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU