Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's today, as in now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

We have two more movie nite days left in July, but no suggestions, so feel free to suggest whatever you think would be cool to watch.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Saoshyant

By public demand, tomorrow:

Yes, it's a Tim Curry movie! And there's some other colorful but kinda weird fellows around, too.

Muppet Treasure Island, this Wednesday on the BYOB Discord, #trashed crew channel, at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC. Thirty minutes earlier we'll also have a couple of shorts, probably an episode of Fraggle Rock.

Manifisto

:eng99: can't believe I missed Tom Baker era Dr. Who! ah well, next time . . .

but, muppet treasure island sounds like tons of fun!

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

That's today in 30 minutes. Join us earlier for some Fraggle Rock if you like!

Manifisto

thank you for muppets, it was an adventure!

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

The next one comes as a suggestion from Plant Monster, and it will be a bit of a mood whiplash after just coming off Doctor Who and the Muppets, because from what I'm reading it's kind of dark.

This Saturday, When the Wind Blows, a 1986 animated film with Roger Waters on music duty, and it's about an elderly couple who survive the initial onslaught of a nuclear war between superpowers. IMDB reviews describe it as "you will never forget it" and "it will seriously make you cry"

So, bring tissues.

BYOB Discord, #trashed crew channel, at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

Saoshyant

Also, long time friend of Movie Night, Stoner Sloth, proposed we have a whole month of Australian cinema! :australia:

So, expect Crocodile Dundees, Kangaroo Jacks, and Mad Maxes out of the wazoo! And also the new Barbie film??

Nah, we got a great list carefully selected of cult stuff most people worldwide doesn't know about it, so it will be a good time. More details forthcoming.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oooh, Sloth's showed some great Aussie cinema in the past so this should be a lot of fun!

Saoshyant

August is hot! August also marks the start of Aussie Month where we'll be watching a ton of strange, interesting movies from down under.

Saoshyant

This Wednesday, a comedy from 1986 called by experts* "the most BYOB movie of all time", it's Malcolm!

When the titular character, an inventive fellow a bit obsessed with trams, gets two new roommates to help pay rent, he finds himself suddenly helping with a bank heist?

Considered an absolute gem of a movie... clever, funny, with brilliant performances and surreal music, this one has every reason to be fun!

We'll also have a couple of shorts with Bluey, a super wholesome Aussie cartoon you probably have heard of at some point, just before the main feature. Show up earlier if you like!

BYOB Discord, #trashed crew channel, at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

* that expert being Code Jockey

Manifisto

Saoshyant posted:

August is hot! August also marks the start of Aussie Month where we'll be watching a ton of strange, interesting movies from down under.

oh my god I love it

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

We are starting today's event. Join in!

poverty goat

can i have a discord invite?

Saoshyant

That went great! What a cheerful movie.

Usually I don't post right away the next film, but I'll be off the grid for the next few days, so...

Edit: Aussie Month actually continued with Ten Canoes, a film focused on portraying the Aboriginal people authentically:

This was actually a last minute replacement because the planned film (CotR) couldn't be sourced on time, so previous post below.

This Saturday, Aussie Month continues with Children of the Revolution!

A well-executed dark comedy, which Australian cinema excels at from what I've been reading, this is the tale of Stalin's Australian son, who will be trying to bring communism down below. Full of dark humor with a heady twinge of surrealism, it should be a good time.

August 5 on BYOB Discord, #trashed crew channel, at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

I won't be around (largest metal fest in the country starts tomorrow and I'll be down there for the next few days, camping), but we will have a friend of Movie Nite in charge for the day.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 8, 2023

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, Aussie Month continues with Storm Boy

A 1976 film about an Australian boy forming a bond with an Aboriginal man based on their care of pelicans. From IMDB reviews, it sounds sweet: "The film is funny at times, touching, sad and inspiring and will make you want a pet pelican!"

What more can one ask?

This Wednesday on the BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel, at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

Saoshyant

And that's today, as in right now! We'll also have an episode of Kath & Kim featuring a cameo of BYOB's hammock kitty (as found by Kaiser S)

Saoshyant

This Saturday, Aussie Month continues with The Interview (1998) with Hugo Weaving and Tony Martin

This one is compared with cult classic 12 Angry Men (which we should watch together at some point), where the character played by Hugo Weaving is arrested out of nowhere for a crime he (possibly) didn't commit and the movie follows his interrogation and all the twists that happen in between. I kind of forgot who recommended this one, but I think it was Alex.

It's got a 100% fresh rating on that tomato website with such reviews as:

quote:

One of the most ingeniously plotted films to come out of Australia

quote:

It is chillingly photographed by Simon Duggan, giving it a retro-noir film look.

quote:

This fascinating little Australian entry barely made it into Stateside theaters. It's sharp and delightfully puzzling.

Sounds perfect! See you tomorrow on the BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel, at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

We'll probably do another Kath & Kim episode 30 minutes before the main feature (or maybe something else).

Saoshyant

Man, that was great, how is this movie not more popular? I want a HD release!

Also, for Mani who missed a good chunk of it due to an unstable connection, there's a copy of it on Youtube. The image quality is worse than the one we streamed and there's no subtitles, but eh, good enough?

Saoshyant

Tomorrow Aussie Month reaches the half way point and we will be watching The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Chicago Reader says, "This nicely made 1994 comedy-drama could be described as an Australian Easy Rider, with Sydney drag queens instead of bikers and no apocalyptic ending."

So, let's board the bus, drive through the Australian landscape, and experience this story of defiant culture clash on August 16, BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

See you there!

Manifisto

Saoshyant posted:

Man, that was great, how is this movie not more popular? I want a HD release!

Also, for Mani who missed a good chunk of it due to an unstable connection, there's a copy of it on Youtube. The image quality is worse than the one we streamed and there's no subtitles, but eh, good enough?

thank you for this, I will definitely watch it!

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

We are starting today's event soon, we'll be having a Kath & Kim episode (those are always fun) 30 minutes before. Tune in!

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, Aussie Month continues with Lucky Miles, another of Stoner Sloth's recommendations.

This 2007 film is about three unrelated immigrants setting out through an inhospitable desert in the remote western coast of Australia, looking for a better life. At a glance, it could be a tragic tale, but Lucky Miles is actually known as a comedy due to the very human elements of everyone involved in this story. It should be a good one.

quote:

An Indonesian fishing boat abandons a group of Iraqi and Cambodian men on a remote part of the Western Australian coast. Told there is a bus over the dunes, the men are abandoned to a desert the size of Poland. While most are quickly rounded up, three men with little in common but their history of misfortune elude capture and begin an epic but confused journey drawn on by their hopes amplified by the empty desert. Pursued by an army reservist unit more concerned with playing ball sports and music, our three protagonists wander deeper into trouble, searching desperately among the harsh beauty of the Pilbara for evidence of a western, liberal democracy. Or the promised bus.

We are also doing a preshow but 45 minutes earlier because we are doing a Taskmaster Australia episode and those are longer than our usual shorts. Hope you'll be able to show up for either or both, dear reader!

August 19, BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature, or 45 minutes earlier for Taskmaster.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 18, 2023

Saoshyant

Tonight, Aussie Month features The Sapphires

This is a 2012 comedy drama about four Aboriginal girls making a name for themselves in showbiz just as 1968 rolls out (Vietnam war on-going and voting rights for the Indigenous Australians).

It's considered an enjoyable, charming movie, "uniquely Australian", but considering the time period and subject at hand I imagine there would be some rougher aspects. One review points it out, so CW:

quote:

Racism was a key topic that was brought up regularly to show how Aboriginal people were treated in the community and all the characters have to deal with it in some form of another. Kay in particular has to decide between being a white or black girl. It also brings home how prevalent it was then with one white solider refusing to be treated by a black doctor. It was truly harrowing.

BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature

We'll also try and have another Taskmaster episode 45 minutes before the above schedule as a pre-show.

Saoshyant

Aussie Month's nearly over and it's been a truckload of great movies so far. From the top of my head, the next one was recommended by Xamboni:

So, tomorrow August 26, it's The Castle (1997), a comedy drama about a family being forced to move out of their home by the Australian government. This one is actually described as "cozy" and "wholesome" in various of the reviews I've been reading, so it should be a good time.

BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature

We'll also try and have another Taskmaster episode 45 minutes before the above schedule as a pre-show and a Bluey episode after the main feature. Come join us and tell your friends!

Saoshyant

Aussie Month comes to an end tomorrow with a classic:

It was a toss between this and Mad Max, but even if you've never watched Babe before I'm sure you're aware of how timeless and wholesome it is.

BUT that's not all! We'll also have a pretty cool short film called Harvie Krumpet, the animated "odd biography of a man who has Tourette's Syndrome, chronic bad luck, menial jobs, nudist tendencies, and a book of 'fakts' hung around his neck."

August 30 on the BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature, and 30 minutes earlier for Harvie Krumpet.

Saoshyant

It's September now, so we are going back to school

A different concept for this month where we'll be watching all sorts of documentaries, and then go back to fiction next month. If you ever thought watching documentaries is kinda boring 'cause you have no one to talk with, come and join us!

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, September 2, Documentary Month starts with a couple episodes of the 2014 series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

This series, starring Neil deGrasse Tyson, is a homage to Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage series from 1980. This version is not especially thorough on the science, but it's a beautiful, well-executed take on teaching the audience about space exploration and the journey to get there.

Come watch it with us on the BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 4, 2023

Saoshyant

This Wednesday, Dinosaurs!

It's Prehistoric Planet with David Attenborough! Come watch two episodes of this neat series.

We didn't run shorts last time, but we'll try to run a couple this time half an hour before the main event, so show up on the usual time at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC, or half an hour earlier if you want more. September 6, BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 4, 2023

Saoshyant

That's today in a few hours! We are also going to run a short episode of Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Universe about dinosaurs extinction "Doom of the Dinosaurs" half an hour before going live with the main feature.

Saoshyant

This Saturday, two episodes of David Attenborough's Planet Earth II

Plus a preshow of gorgeous monarch butterflies migrating all the way from Canada to Mexico, 40 minutes before the main feature, so show up earlier if you want more documentaries on this most educational of months!

The usual time at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature, only on the BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel

Saoshyant

Beautiful stuff those millions of butterflies and also paragliding camera crew filming them eagles. Also seeing those komodo dragons fighting was certainly something you'd expect out of a dinosaur documentary, not something from the modern era.

This Saturday, a not as fun documentary but an important one; let's talk money and banking with Inside Job, because we should not forget how those who destroyed our future are still out there

And we'll have a more light preshow with the funny Documentary Now series, two episodes before the main event so it's not all gloom

The usual time at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature, and 45 minutes earlier for the preshow, on the BYOB Discord, #C&D Movies channel

Manifisto

ooh good choice!

ty nesamdoom!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh this looks good!

Saoshyant

I was planning on having a good documentary on homesteading tonight, but couldn't find a quality one, so the theme will be meteorites, asteroids, and comets.

Tonight, Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds. With good reviews, this is described as "a documentary from Werner Herzog about meteors and comets and their influence on ancient religions and other cultural and physical impacts they've had on Earth."

The usual time at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature. We'll also be having a short documentary earlier on about a similar subject, soon as I locate one, or one of the mockumentaries again (Documentary Now or Philomena Cunk).

Saoshyant

We are starting now with a preshow having an episode of "The Remarkable Science of Ancient Astronomy", Meteorite Worship and Start of the Iron Age

Saoshyant

We will be back to dinosaurs tomorrow (September 20)! Two more episodes of Prehistoric Planet at the usual time, plus a preshow with a Discovery Channel documentary about the possibility of bringing back the dinosaurs in the not so distant future(!?). You will not want to miss this one that's for sure!

This preshow is 45 minutes before the main feature's usual time. As expected, Sir David Attenborough will narrate you the adventures of super cool CGI dinosaurs at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel. If you are not on the BYOB Discord but want to watch anyway you can PM resident mod Manifisto about an invite.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 20, 2023

Saoshyant

Did you know that if we keep mutating chickens to have looonger tails eventually we get dinosaurs?? We learned this from the very important Discovery Channel documentary about top scientists working to find ways to bring dinosaurs back to our world!

We also ended up watching not two but three Prehistoric Planet episodes! Those were really good, and now we can give dinosaurs a rest.

Saoshyant

Tonight, documentary month looks at one of our favorite nerdy topics: video games.

We'll have one 45 documentary about audio synth in the 16-bit era, specifically Trackers, before the usual hour.

Followed by the main feature about the mystery/hoax of Polybius.

Since that one isn't very long, we'll add two small shorts at the end of Polybius going over the Doom-clone era on the Amiga + an overview of the big market crash of 1983.

4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC on the BYOB Discord, C&D Movie Nite channel for the main feature, and 45 minutes earlier for the preshow documentary.

ALSO, since these will be all from Youtube, I'm going to try and have them running at the same time on ye old Cytube, so show up there if you prefer it that way. Simultaneous broadcasting? Wow, now this is quality service!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

that all sounds awesome! if you're looking for other content on the general theme, there are a bunch of things on the fairly obscure but fascinating subculture called demoscene. I am not sure if this is the one I watched (it was some time ago) but based on a quick scan it looks pretty good? maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkZcTg1JWU

ty nesamdoom!