Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Made of Meat

Jinh posted:

Yeah i really appreciate this.

I've had issues with anxiety attacks and stuff in the past, and because of that I've never been into the more contemporary kinds of horror movies or video games because they use jumpscares and "saw" style super intense gore stuff too much. That "scared" feeling, of being trapped and overwhelmed in a scene, is really uncomfortable to me. This is the first time that i've been able to enjoy movies around halloween with a few friends, and it's awesome :)

Another BYOB success story!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Regarding the type of movies for this purpose, I like the old (usually B/W but not always) crappy ones better than "good" ones. If the point of the exercise is to make comments and enjoy the fun of reading others' comments, you don't WANT a movie that needs concentration or deserves attention.

I've long been a fan of MST3K and its heirs and successors, and the best movies for the purpose are old and bad and confusing and silly.

Robot Made of Meat

Orson Bean? Not only was he a 1970s game show "celebrity," he also masturbated in special wooden boxes.

Look it up.

Robot Made of Meat

I missed half of it, but it was still a blast! Thanks BFM and all for making this happen.

Robot Made of Meat

Bright Bart posted:

The human body is icky.

There are at least 17 parts which are less icky than you give them credit for.

Robot Made of Meat

IT IS HAPPENING!

Robot Made of Meat

Heather Papps posted:

this wednesday at the regular time, at the regular place we will be presenting

canada is foreign to a good chunk of us, (not me), and i really like the idea of not having to read any subs. coupons and deals because despite having a strong and powerful love for the kids in the hall show, i have never seen their movie!

we'll be starting shorts a little early, continuing the adventures of the copperhead versus the mysterious doctor satan. please join us!

Brain Candy is an film which is good.

Robot Made of Meat

Heather Papps posted:

i had a the same feeling after the ninabomb dropped. there's more then enough stuff that exists to make it easy to just remove certain people from the list. i had this conversation with someone about micheal jackson and my whole perspective was my life wouldn't be worse never hearing his voice again, and i've had my fill of python already, i guess. i mean there is a bunch of other guys who don't make a point of being intentionally abrasive.

on the other hand i'm glad we get to know. it must have been rough in the pre digital age being a huge fan of something or someone then eventually finding out how much they suck when things reached a fever pitch, or after they died and a biography was released.

With Cleese, you didn't really have to wait. His autobiography pretty much says that he's a jerk.

Robot Made of Meat

Dyaliscope!

Robot Made of Meat

Darnit! I logged on at the end of the closing credits.

Ah well. Maybe next time.

Robot Made of Meat

Leraika posted:

Thursday!

Specifically, the last Thursday in November.

Robot Made of Meat

Leraika posted:

I wonder if there are any terrible Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/etc movies like there's an industry for bad christmas movies

"Dreidel of Dread - Josh Hollis (dot) com
dreidel-of-dread
Feb 21, 2015 — Despite the market's lack of acceptance of Hanukkah-themed horror (both Menorah of Blood and Eight Deadly Nights failed to burn up the box . . . "

Robot Made of Meat

Much as I hate Mia Farrow, Reckless is a wonderfully insidious christmas movie. The Ref is heartwarming and somewhat subversive -- and slightly above the usual pablum.

Robot Made of Meat

Leraika posted:

I love film noir so I'm very down.

Try watching something in color -- maybe it'll cheer you up!

Oh.

Umm.

Never mind!

Robot Made of Meat

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

It's the last movie nite before the awards and we're watching the very first movie in this thread again to celebrate, join us for The Last Man on Earth!

Plus we're watching Hemo the Magnificent, the classic Bell Labs animated 2-reeler about how blood works. And it starts... now!

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

A very interesting film by an amazing actor!

Vincent Price is legend.

Robot Made of Meat

If you look into the back story on the film, there's a lot of WTF.

Robot Made of Meat

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Turns out Robert "King" Moody, who plays Space Ship Captain in last night's film, went on to play Ronald McDonald for 16 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAobp2PFBpk

TOTCHA!!!

Robot Made of Meat

Invasion of the Saucer Men was also re-made much more cheaply and ickily as Attack of the the Eye Creatures.

Robot Made of Meat

Stupid! STUPID!!!

Robot Made of Meat

Another thing related to the discussion of Rock Hudson is the fact that he made some late-50s movies with Doris Day, and according to The Celluloid Closet, they always included a scene where Rock's straight character pretended to be gay in order to get closer to Doris' character.

As a gay man, I am disappointed that Rock waited so long to tell the world what was going on, but I also understand.

Robot Made of Meat

Celluloid Closet is a must-see!

Robot Made of Meat

Saoshyant posted:

I like the idea, but are there really that many Luchador movies?

I believe that there are nearly an infinity of luchador movies. Santo alone made probably20.

Robot Made of Meat

Heather Papps posted:

it kind of bums me out how much i love the addams family because if you knew me in real life and were told i loved the addams family you'd be like "of course he does this is the least surprising thing in the world" and i like to be mysterious

I feel that you should have a copy of Charles Addams' "Dear Dead Days" in your library, as I do.

It's impossible to explain to people who don't get it.

Robot Made of Meat

Saoshyant posted:

There was some sort of fever dream going on

Collective fever dream, I believe.

I'm very confused and could do with some brandy right now.

Brandy is often the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Lena is always good!