Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

movies great, BFM great poster and hoster with the moster!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

yay, the more BYOB movie nights the better imo! :peanut:

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Stoner Sloth

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Movie night is taking a short break but will return soon!
Ditto for Xygote for those interested

hope both return soon friend cause they're both great but yeah - what bios said, you definitely have earned and deserve and break!

sending you extra chill and wishing you a good end of hell year/start of a hopefully eventually better one!

Stoner Sloth

BYOB Movie Night and Son of BYOB Movie Night

Stoner Sloth

biosterous posted:

that sounds good and fun!

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

we need to talk about bill and ted face the music

was it any good?

Stoner Sloth

Djimi posted:

That was fun. Thanks so much. :tipshat:

Stoner Sloth

That's a fun idea, but we had already discussed it a bit and there were multiple requests for Film Noir February. Definitely some overlap there though.

That's gonna be Saturday nights, wednesdays I'm thinking B-movie crime dramas. Noir is a really tricky definition so I wouldn't necessarily apply it wide enough to include the kind of dreck coupons & deals nite is about. But again, overlap.

Thoughts and recommendations are, as always, welcome. But I think smokey offices and Venetian blind shadows are what the people demanded, so that's the present plan.

funnily enough i turned on the tv last night at 2 am and there was a neonoir version of The Long Goodbye on that was made in the 70's... it was very odd and pretty sure not what raymond chandler had intended in any sense.

would possibly make for appropriate viewing for c&d movie nite tho

e: possibly, hopefully without making feb movies too much white man centric, we could do that and/or the 1946 version of The Big Sleep? am currently playing an RPG character very loosely based on Phillip Marlowe (if he was a beholder lol) so would help me but can do research any time if folks have other stuff they'd prefer to watch!

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 31, 2021

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

in terms of diversity, if we're thinking of adding in a bit of non-classic noir, perhaps we could consider adding in one or two east asian films that, while maybe not meeting a strict definition of "noir", have been considered in the context of that canon?

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/left-off-the-map/

https://generationt.asia/ideas/artistic-voyages-part-two

woah, these look interesting also i believe earlier itt folks suggested some other good ones from more diverse writers/directors/cast

really excited for it cause i haven't seen any of the suggested films!

Stoner Sloth

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Wishing BFM all the best in this thread, which is a labor of love that has enriched us all and brought us closer together during these strange days of lockdowns and isolation.

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

does anyone know any good bollywood films?
ideas!

what was that one we watched last year which had the main character's name get repeatedly sung every time poo poo got real... think the name was DJ?

anyway think it counts as just about every genre if we can remember the name of it

Stoner Sloth

Stoner Sloth posted:

what was that one we watched last year which had the main character's name get repeatedly sung every time poo poo got real... think the name was DJ?

anyway think it counts as just about every genre if we can remember the name of it

okay I think it's DJ: Duvvada Jagannadham

Stoner Sloth

i think all art exists with context - including the artist and the audience and the broader society within which it is created and within which it is viewed. It's harder to dismiss offensive attitudes expressed in a work of art as outdated or of their time, for example, if the artist has continued to express those views to the present day.

anyways speaking of context; let's not forget that the context here is the chill forum movie nights with posting pals.

as such imo it'd be cool and good to make at least most of the movies we watch as inclusive as possible but there's also going to be stuff that some folks might not want to watch for any number of reasons, which is fair enough really, and provided they are forewarned then it shouldn't be a problem? (within reason but I don't think anyone really wants to screen anything that should be too problematic do they?)

Stoner Sloth

bump

Stoner Sloth

KaBob posted:

Now you're a weird bigger kid

with lots of weird pals who post

Stoner Sloth

Marshall Claw is a great name for like a Jim Rockford type character. Maybe who's a giant bird.

when marshall white t. claw is catapulted through time to the early 21st century, it's a huge adjustment for him... but how will the modern world adjust to learning that the claw... is the law?!

Stoner Sloth

hey BFM and Heather? Teen Witch suggested in the discord that we do some schlock horror stuff and I thought it'd be a good idea to coordinate that with movie nights and advertise them in the discord when they're about to go down too

we could use voice chat in there so people can riff on them and laugh together too - also heather if you need an invite let me know

Stoner Sloth

1. lost world of the medusa

2. dr otto

3. naked city

imo but i'm down for whatever friends

Stoner Sloth

hey folks and other cowpokes, maybe we should do a spaghetti western month sometime?

thoughts (and or prayers) pls
was thinking start with the 'the call me trinity' series starring terrence hill and bud spencer but also maybe do 'fistfull of dollars' trilogy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

that's fair - i hadn't considered that angle. i think that there are some spaghetti westerns that might work, one that i was thinking of last night which i think is free of that kind of stuff is 'They Call Me Trinity' which is available on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8dfQja43Ik